Silly ideas about a go-not-as-slowly NA diesel

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Silly ideas about a go-not-as-slowly NA diesel

Post by citsncycles »

Good point! I think I still need to find an XUD11 engine to study in order to see what the exact differences are between this and the XUD9. I have been told that the early head probably wouldn't fit the later engine type, and with the amount of additional machining necessary to make things fit it means in the long term making replacement parts fit at a later date could turn into a nightmare. I think a visit to the Westons to see if they have something I can look at may be in order (if I don't end up pulling the engine and box out of a certain car in a scrappy up north!)
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Why not just fit a 1.7 turbo or 1.9 turbo engine instead?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If it was any other car I would, but because this is the only one (as far as we know) on the road, I want it to be at least visually as correct as possible, something I don't think I can do with a TD setup as it would require the later manifolds and head while I want to use the early set up if possible.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

that said, if you got a non intercooled turbo from a 205, they dont look all that different...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

citsncycles wrote:Good point! I think I still need to find an XUD11 engine to study in order to see what the exact differences are between this and the XUD9. I have been told that the early head probably wouldn't fit the later engine type, and with the amount of additional machining necessary to make things fit it means in the long term making replacement parts fit at a later date could turn into a nightmare. I think a visit to the Westons to see if they have something I can look at may be in order (if I don't end up pulling the engine and box out of a certain car in a scrappy up north!)
To save you the hassle:
Bigger water pump, but also fitted 'more externally' to the block with a bolt on housing as opposed to one let into the block itself.
Thermostat also fitted onto the water pump/housing.
Pistons and crank as already described.
The head gaskets are almost identical:- The bolts holes are, so an xud7/9 head will fit. The larger 'rectangular' water ways at either end of the head are a different shape, but overlap is sufficient to prevent issues.
With reference to your comment about early head types, that I believe is the square port heads, as opposed to the later round port heads. Technically I think both will fit, but there is a reason (unknown to me) why a square port is not ultimately suitable. Doc/Jay/Matt will know.
With it being an N/A, the BE1 may be ok, but I have had no dealings with a BE1 box.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

As I believe the main difference between the early and late XUD7/9 enginesis the port design, which makes a 6 or 7 BHP difference, it may be that the older design will effectively strangle the larger engine. At the same time, I believe the port change happened either before or with the introduction of the TD versions, in which case the issue may simply have been that the turbo manifolds will not fit the early head.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Managed to get a look round a 2.1 engine in an XM last night, and at first glance it looks possible to at least try what I want to do. Still plenty of other things to check as I'd want to swap some external fittings between engines if bolt holes etc. line up, and I want to look at some piston crowns for each engine to see if there's any machining necessary for clearances, but I think if a cheap enough engine fell out the woodwork, I might get it to play with!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD