Anything about BXs
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Which BX?

Post by Defender110 »

Tim Leech wrote: spheres can deteriorate slowly so its not so noticeable until you fit new ones and then its like WOW!

Yes think it may be time to take my TZD across to Stockport and see if I can get the WOW factor! It drives lovely but no wow and I've never touched the spheres on this one yet.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Interesting info, including bees, had to give them up to sting allergy, bummer.

My bud in Taunton always says East Coker is very good. Pity its not nearer. These tasks are in the future as first I have to get the 17 TD Estate going with MOT. I would certainly be keen to find a local who understands these cars better than I do. Happy to get dirty but many a trick to be learned. The old BX never really went wrong but basically wore out so I never got to meet anyone.

I am clearly out of touch with potential prices and it explains my failure to pick up a 'cheap' runner to keep me going while I was attempting an instant replacement of the dead Pug 406. Then again that is all the more reason to bring my car back into service. Not least as the LT van seems to have cracked its exhaust manifold and is falling apart at 10 years of age, second engine, 198k miles - crap.

Still wouldn't mind adding something different to the stable as a comparison to the TZD. The van can be binned as I am fed up of fixing it! Gti would be great, but as was stated earlier on, its more a case of what is available that your skills can bring into service, be that by work or bunts. I was sorely tempted by a cheap localish 14 but I assume one of you lot had it away while I was standing on one leg! Anyway its sold, so I missed out, chump.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

East Coker is where Toms GT lives!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I beg your pardon East Coast Garage, it must be, then. My bud used to live in East Coker and is a Citroen buff, being one Mike Milverton, now Taunton way. I am getting confussed. Pity he is not nearer as he got me into BX in the first place. He has a 19 n/a Diesel Auto Saloon he made out of two cars now. 'Twas he that supplied the info and support on pulling the hieght adjusters apart.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

East Coker I hear? Yes, my GT does reside there. I also live in Yeovil, where East Coast garage is - a very good garage, Richard has done some work on my TXD Turbo and I could definitely recommend him.

Talking of bees, ours swarmed again today, this time though we caught the swarm and bunged them in a spare hive. We missed the first swarm of the season though, a real bummer as it was the biggest i've ever seen! That's 3 usable hive going now, one we can't use as they've built all their brood combs off of the lid - it's so heavy we can't lift it (these have been left in their hive for 20 years or so, so there will be no frames or excluders left, just a box 2 brood and 3 supers high) these are vicious buggers too, much more aggressive than our other two hives.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Have you seen that Bayer are being implicated in the loss of bees? Not a disease but poison from spray used particularly with Monsanto sourced crop varieties. Bayer are thr trading arm of what was IG Farben that were well in with the State during WW11, you get the drift. Nice guys, both.

I have several traditional wood/glass comb exhibition cases here somewhere.

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Aggressive bees seem to produce the most honey too tom.

However, i can see one problem with the hive thats not been touched for 20 years . Its possible they will become a source of disease to the others if not inspected and will ultimately die of varroa if not treated.
Big effort, i know but they could be sorted by replacing the hive with another one, cutting out the old combs and tying them into new ones. I have done this in the past. A lot of effort though.
Another good way to catch swarms is to put a few bait hives about with some old frames in them, easiest way to catch a swarm i know.

Andy
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

The interesting thing is Andy, none of these bees have verroa, they are really very healthy. Steve's dad was into bees 20 years ago and had 7 hives going, most of them have disintegrated now but Steve and I have salvaged 2 and bought a third (polystyrene, not sure if we prefer it over wood yet - the swarm went in this one) and left the wild one in the corner. I think they were originally buckfast black's or another Dorset strain but all we've done is sort the two hives out that still had frames (they'd built there own cells onto empty frames in a quite organised and accessable way) with all new internals and we were away! I don't think there are any other honey bees for several miles, as Steve's parents live right out in the sticks in a little Hamlet. This is only our third year so we're still learning, with occasional inputs and advice from Steve's dad.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid