rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Courtesy light degradation

Post by rutter123 »

the ones in the tzd are perishing a little more every time i open the windows, there is now no front edge/corner at all either side, dont want to disturb them or they may turn into a jigsaw puzzle, if the bulbs go its game over.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

As for DAB, I started a related thread in General Chat a few months ago - there may be some useful points in there? I'm shortly going to be going to an MP3 based system in mine, as I spent several weeks converting my whole CD collection. It's absolutely great having effectively an unlimited range of music for even the longest journey.
I have a mixture of new & old school doing this - a Sansa Clip Zip (much cheaper than an Ipod!) with a 32gb card plugged via a cassette adapter into the radio in whichever car's in use at the time. This way the radio looks period to the car, and with over 2600 tracks on (about half the card's capacity) I have a bigger play list than some radio stations!

I'm starting prep work onTimex for the Scottish Challenge and one of the jobs will be a switch for the radio, as I've wired mine in the same as Mat.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Lana gave me an oldish Sony hard disc based MP3 player, which I've plugged into the aux in socket in other vehicles, which the head unit in the BX doesn't have. I tried an FM transmitter but that was useless, then it struck me that the head unit does have a rear input for a CD changer or add-on DAB radio. I've found the pin designation for the audio inputs and have made up an adaptor lead to a 3.5 mm plug (plenty of free time right now!) and will try it when I get back. Only problem might be fooling it to make it think there's a CD changer connected...

The switch needs to have a diode wired in to the ignition switched supply to prevent the new switch from turning on the other circuits like blower motor.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote: aux in socket in other vehicles, which the head unit in the BX doesn't have.
A quick cheap fix is to buy a cassette adaptor with lead and stereo jack from the pound or 99p shops. It can sound ok but for best fidelity hard wiring is bound to be better.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I tried that but it wouldn't *quite* fit in the CD slot... :P

It should be possible to hard wire a socket in place of the tape deck if you're happy to open up the unit, but that's theory not practice speaking!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think I have to get the speakers sorted first, as the 2 in the ends of the dash on Timex are completely shot! I have plans for that, which I hope to put into practice this weekend - watch Timex's blog spot for details!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!