Rev Counter on Diesel

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Re: Rev Counter on Diesel

Post by kiwi »

bx_pallas wrote:Behind the Battery you find a brown 3-way connector with two wires going down to the sensor (below the connector the cables are manteled, either black or white). The sender sits on the flywheel, engine side, next to the right hand drive shaft.

I asked about this very subject a couple years ago this is the best picture I have seen.

When I hunted mine down it is located at the top of the bell housing and an akward place to get at. So can you tell me if that white clip is part of the sensor of does the sensor prod into the white clip? I am thinking of relocating mine to where the photo is as there is space and easier to adjust.

Bit background min was one those would work in the cold until it warmed up then nothing. After the clutch was done it failed completly but after seeing this I did some wriggling and got it working again only it still fails after driving for a while.

Cars got 195k (miles) on it so maybe time to get a new one. One I have lined up does not have that white clip just a round probe.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
bx_pallas
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bx_pallas »

The white part is not part of the sensor, it's just the mounting bracket. The black sensor is pushed through the bracket up to the flywheel, it'a only long zylinder without mounting points!
Stuarted
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stuarted »

Yup - sensor is a black cylinder. It is a sliding fit in the white holder and the screw secures it in place.

It probably needs to be quite close to the flywheel but not too close - my old (non-working) sensor was damaged on the end, probably by being too close to the flywheel.

I would suggest moving to touch the flywheel and then back a bit. Use your common sense as to how much. If it does not work reliably, you might need to move it slightly closer but not so close that there is any risk of it actually touchinng the flywheel.

My replacement sensor (which seems to work fine, hot or cold) was off a 185,000 mile car, so the sensors don't seem neccessarily to wear out - just as likely, they get damaged, perhaps through bad adjustment.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

bx_pallas wrote:The white part is not part of the sensor, it's just the mounting bracket. The black sensor is pushed through the bracket up to the flywheel, it'a only long zylinder without mounting points!
Oh awesome thats what I needed to hear.

Now to figure out how to remove mine from the top of the bell housing without taking off the gearbox.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91