ZX corner

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Charlotte
BXpert

Re: ZX corner

Post by Charlotte »

You know what Phil, that's a good looking ZX. Black wheeltrims add to the whole monochrome contrast vibe. I thawed out on my ZX stance about 5 years ago, but only for Volcanes... a few years and more training-shoe cars later, and I'm beginning to embrace all ZXs. I had a ZX estate over the winter that ran on air and got me everywhere, even in Ashdown Forest snow.

I'm seriously worried I'll be double-taking Saxos in 10 years. You all have permission to kill me if that happens.
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Saxos!!

just no. Ok.

ax's by all means, but saxos?
notice how quickly they have died and thinned numbers?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

Did you manage to sort out an exhaust sealing ring & springkit Phil ? I've just ordered mine from the dealer for the grand total of £22:68 :roll: . It's being fitted next Monday , that should have the exhaust sorted and next up is a service ready for the MoT .

Mark
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm doing it next month, Mark along with a few other bits and bobs. My daughter works for a Citroen dealership \9at least for the next three weeks) so I hope to get a staff discount on the kit... Although I shall ask my mates at ATS what their price would be if I also ordered a pair of Michelins :)

The induction kit and headlight protectors arrived today. :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Charlotte, what you say rings true. We've had two other ZXs before this and they really are a rewarding drive. This little 19D is lovely and is surprisingly nippy with decent low end grunt, even in n/a form. We are hoping to get another ZX in early September to compliment it (a five door 1.8 auto Aura). That'll make a nice contrasting stable-mate. Dare I say I am somewhat smitten with ZXs and I think their time might be coming. (Especially as I would find it hard to find a decent BX TZD Turbo these days - although Sandre seems to prove the exception to the rule lol).
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A minor entry in the "What are the chances of that?!" annals. Out at lunchtime in Chelmsford today, pulled up to a roundabout behind another ZX. Another Avantage diesel. Another 'N' reg and with the last letters 'WMO'- the same as mine. Both cars hail from the Reading area initially.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

ZX Corner technical help section: Something that has become apparent over the few hundred miles I've driven the car. When it gets warm (after about 30 mins) it becomes increasingly hard to engage gear - especially 1st and reverse, without crunching. All gears are stiff. And even when the engine isn't running it's still not exactly smooth operating. When it's all cold/cool it works OK and is quite slick.

Recent new clutch cable visible. Don't know when the clutch was last done (yet - I'm expecting the service book to be posted to me when the guy's back from holiday) - but a recent protective spray of oil under the car worries me: could the clutch have become contaminated with oil - or would that be a problem all the time, not just when warm... Or is this a red herring?

My fist thought would be the clutch is on the way out. But wouldn't it be a problem all the time?

Any suggestions?
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

If its like my BX (1.6 with BE3 gearbox) I had the same problem. It just got harder and harder to disengage the clutch, and adjustment helped, but when its every other day!!!
Still haven't taken the transmission off yet - swapped engine/box with new clutch and bearing. I think the problem is a combination of the diaghram fingers wearing through and also release bearing wear. It didn't squeal for a very long time. When you can only select 1st without the engine running then start with it rolling on the starter motor, you know its time to fix it!. The 'stiff' unreleasing clutch made gear selection much too hard on what is basically fairly sweet box, unlike the newer one which is more notchy from previous owners 'care'.
I would also guess either original clutch or cheapo kit fitted maybe clutch done but not bearing. BTW the clutch never ever slipped. In its late stages I was using significant force on the gear lever. Cable was fine so just got lubed, a little squeak from the pivot in the pedal box but OK. With 105k it should have the original clutch, but you never know. Had a clutch go on Sunbeam after 8k from new... done under warranty.

A quick check that it has got gearbox oil in would be worthwhile though. If there's a leak from the gearbox or someone forgot to refill it? Would also be worth a quick check that the linkage ball joints are still fully seated.

I can pretty easily separate the transmission from 'problem' unit- its lying by my garage if you want to know the exact diagnosis!. The early symptoms are exactly as you describe. Yup its 1st and reverse that are the pigs, you can live with the rest and easily get neutral so its not dangerous.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'd change the gearbox oil to ensure that you've got the correct type in & that its at the right level, you could check the old oil & see if there are any metal bits in it??
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I know I keep saying this, but if theres a new cable maybe it needs a tweak!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Going up on the ramp this p.m. to check linkages, cable play, and clutch operation and have a gearbox oil change - with a dose of Molyslip. See how that goes and then - if need be - a new clutch. This is going to be the Philibuster's Challenge car so whatever needs doing.

Ironically if all goes well and according to plan it'll be fitted with the Turbo diesel engine and gearbox Phil B has... and this n/a engine will lose its camshaft lol But that isn't a definite and it wouldn't be until later on next year at the earliest anyway.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sod it. New clutch it is then. >:(

Ahh well, everything else seems OK, so shouldn't moan too much. It should make a good local hack when we've finished with it.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Your welcome to a 62k old Valeo one (Ø200mm) I just changed if it will fit. It would do at least another 60k min. Free and still a perfect mirror finish on mating face, loads of friction material. Worth a new release bearing though.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks for the kind offer, matey, but it's off to the workshop this a.m. Wifey needs car urgently. Might as well get a few other jobs done whilst it's there too.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

if the originals lasted this long then the new one should last the car out...
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....