Bloody hate diesel engines!!

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Re: Bloody hate diesel engines!!

Post by mat_fenwick »

kiwi wrote:Oh great you inspired such confidence in me when you told me in the past on this very forum doing a cambelt is so easy. :wink:
Yeah, but I've done all the engines in different (smaller) engine bays, so still stand by my comment :P

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Kitch wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:Work from the crankshaft, to the water pump, round the tensioner to the camshaft and then the pump sprocket. Keep the tension in the belt working in the above direction. Once fitted You should rotate the engine at least once and check for alignment before attempting to start. You shouldn't have problems, the biggy is the camshaft and crank being out.

P.s. xud is easier ;-)
Not sure which is out, but the cam and pump were locked by the bolts I put in. The crank is the iffy one, as you lock it blind anyway. In my head the only thing that can be out is the crank, but in relation to the cam and pump I didn't know how much of an impact it would have. On a petrol car, it'll still run, just lumpily!

And no, a 16v is definitely easier! :lol: Might not look it, but it's much more logical in design.
With new belt on and the tensioner not tensioned, it is possible to get one tooth off despite all the locking pins being in. The flywheel lock is a pita, you need to be Mr Tickle to rotate the engine and push the locking pin in. If you can be arsed, dropping the starter motor makes access ALOT easier and is only 3 x 8mm Allen key bolts.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

i use a bit of 6mm steel dowel about 12inches long, you can get this in the hole behind the starter without the need to remove it and just to be sure i also use a flywheel locking tool which bolts into one of the cover plate holes.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I must admit I drop the starter to access the hole for the flywheel pin.

I also found that you had to be very careful when fitting the new belt to get it properly tensioned between the different pulleys before tensioning - following the haynes instructions I kept finding the belt slipping off or jumping a tooth on the crank pulley. I found not having the tensioner backed completely off helped.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I did the first belt on Timex - the only time I've done a belt on a BX. Access is absolutely horrible, but I got the job done (minus the tensioner - gave up entirely on that. Glad you got it done this time Mike!). The flywheel pin was tricky, but not impossible.

Cambelt is meant to be very easy on my new Golf, but sadly I've got to replace the front subframe as Volkswagens don't leak as much anti-corrosion juice as BXs and Minis...
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

yes as above i think everyone has their own way of doing them, its a bit trial and error until you've done a few and get it timed up correctly first time.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

did you peg the crank/flywheel,

if you look just above the crank sprocket there is a raised square block in the casting,

line the rear face of the crank woodruf key up with front face of the raised block,
this will get the crank as near as dam it to engage the locking pin into the flywheel, through the hole behind the starter,

i use a length of 3/16th copper brake pipe, then if you crank the engine before removing the pun you can still yank it out,

you must fit ALL the timing pins/pegs,

i always route the new belt starting at the cam working forward to pump then crank an so on,

as the top and front run of belt have to have no slack in, all the slack must be between the crank and cam,
( back run of belt )

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Still like the idea of a hot 1.4 BX, that engine is just so willing!
I was thinking of a 1.6 TU from a paxo or Bertie-lingo dropped in and bobs your mothers brother right?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

citronut wrote:did you peg the crank/flywheel,

if you look just above the crank sprocket there is a raised square block in the casting,

line the rear face of the crank woodruf key up with front face of the raised block,
this will get the crank as near as dam it to engage the locking pin into the flywheel, through the hole behind the starter,

i use a length of 3/16th copper brake pipe, then if you crank the engine before removing the pun you can still yank it out,

i always route the new belt starting at the cam working forward to pump then crank an so on,

as the top and front run of belt have to have no slack in, all the slack must be between the crank and cam,
( back run of belt )

regards malcolm
Cheers Malcolm. I think I had the slack between the pump and the crank on the forward run of the belt. Better go and have another go at it!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

Kitch wrote:

( back run of belt )

regards malcolm
Cheers Malcolm. I think I had the slack between the pump and the crank on the forward run of the belt. Better go and have another go at it!
Thats what it sounds like to me too, I now have made a piece of threaded M8 bar in a weird shape that goes into the flywheel hole without taking the starter off, though this might be my technique improving :)
The beatings will continue until morale improves
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Oilyspanner wrote:
Kitch wrote:

( back run of belt )

regards malcolm
Thats what it sounds like to me too, I now have made a piece of threaded M8 bar in a weird shape that goes into the flywheel hole without taking the starter off, though this might be my technique improving :)
yes but when you threaded bar bends over behind the flywheel, after you crank the engine before taking the bar out :shock: :twisted: :roll: #-o :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I will tackle many jobs on cars but the Cam Belt on the BX Turbo (or VWLT) were both not on the list for being nasty jobs. The other advantage in ducking is if it does go wrong you have someone to moan at for a period afterwards. However it is not a cheap job to buy in as the mechanics also know its a cow. I decided to budget for out work and having read this thread I am quite pleased I did. :D. Blame Hans Glas, he was the first to fit rubber belts to production cars. BMW were so impressed they merged with Glas.
Is the Golf forum called Rabbit? Enjoy your NSU (No Sodding Use). Had lots before the started badging them as VW.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

TWO teeth out on the crank. Don't think I was paying attention Friday!

I could probably do one in the 2.1hrs Autodata quotes now :lol:

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

its all easy when you know how #-o :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I also took the starter out (and the bloody clutch arm so I could get to one of the bolts!) and used an M8 bolt to lock it. Happily it runs as sweet as it did before as I was worried I'd ruin it.