Pressure regulator has lost its tick

BX Tech talk
awatt_bx19rd

Re: Pressure regulator has lost its tick

Post by awatt_bx19rd »

icrc wrote:hello...
IMO...the Xantia 6+2 pump, the 6 piston feed steering and the 2 piston feed the suspension and brake...

and the 6 piston way has a limit pressure to keep steering safty when you turn to dead point...so if you use 6 piston (now you reduce to 3...)
the pressure will not reach to accuracy pressure of couse...

so your regulator will never tiiiick.....
Great suggestion. Thank you! I'll be checking this out tomorrow and reporting back with my findings.
1989 BX 19 RD — Venetian red
Van gogh
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Van gogh »

If the hydraulic system has increased leakage of the two pistons will not be enough to power the suspension and brakes , and a pressure regulator will never cut off the pump .
awatt_bx19rd

Post by awatt_bx19rd »

icrc, you were bang on the money! Your knowledge about the inner workings of the Xantia pump has really saved my bacon here. Virtual beers for you, my friend.

All I did was disable the pressure limiting valve (wind the grub screw in all the way, thus defeating the spring) and now she's ticking like a beauty! Ahh... it's like music to my ears. The car works absolutely perfectly now. The steering too.

So now we know for certain that a Xantia 6+2 pump can cheaply and easily be made to work on a diesel BX if the circumstances call for it... Good stuff. Thanks for all your help, guys.

This photo shows the pressure limiting valve right at the top. It consists of a ball bearing, a ball seat, a spring, an allen key grub screw, and a 16mm locknut.
1989 BX 19 RD — Venetian red