New Member With Little Niggles.

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: New Member With Little Niggles.

Post by citsncycles »

I'm amazed you managed to get that under there! I'll have to check on my own 4x4, but it was my belief that the central tunnel was modified on the 4x4's to make room for the prop.

The rod that keeps popping out of the rear height corrector looks like it's at the wrong angle - it should be vertical, which will stop it coming out of its hole unless it's badly worn.

Did the 4x4 bits come fron a BX or 405? I only ask as I believe there may be a few differences between the 2 and it'd be interesting to compare them.

I'll also be interested to see how you get on with the gearbox mods. I assume that it's based on a BE3 box, but I'm not sure how much was changed for the 4x4 version. I'm toying wit the idea of fitting a TD 5th gear into my 4x4, mainly to try to help with economy on longer journeys - with a 19 petrol I've probably got the grunt to push the higher gear in most conditions. Incidentally, 100 out of an NA diesel is good going anyway, as it's slightly higher than the book speed I think. Timex (my 19RD estate) sounds a little low geared on the motorway, but I wouldn't want to change it because I already have to push it quite hard to keep the speed up on some of the steeper Motorway stretches, although it is running a square port head and is normally loaded up.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

An n/a 4x4 is an excellent machine I reckon, did they actually make one?
Regarding the rear height corrector control mechanism, and I think this is what cits'n'cycles was saying, but the 15mm return on the rod should fit into a hole in the bracket, it clearly isn't and does appear to be on angle. Having fitted mine up recently I can confirm that the return doesn't poke through the bracket by much at all and I thought myself it would be easy to pop out. It may be that either you didn't get it in there in the first place or perhaps the rod is bent and keeps popping out of its own accord.
If the bracket can't swivel freely, that too may result in the rod popping out. On normal ride height, the bar that is fitted to the ARB should fit in the middle of the square hole, I.e. Not touching it, but central in the hole.

As Matt has said also, once you have set the mechanism up properly and assuming the height corrector itself is functioning properly, then the ride height is determined by the position of the clamp on the ARB.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi All,

I will try to answer a few of your questions & thanks for all the help.

The rear bar is slightly at an angle, so it must be bent & that's allowing it to jump out. It isn't seized because I took it off & covered the threads in oil. It wasn't tight before I oiled it anyway. So how will I bend this back to shape?

Has anyone got any ideas why the fuel filler pipe is leaking? Unless its just bad jubilee clips.

I've got the car on blocks to pull the wheels off & have a look at the brakes, height & height rod but that's as far as I've got so far.

The 4x4 system came off a BX GTi about 6 years ago. The center tunnel was modified on the 4x4, I got around this by using a prop shaft bearing off a ford transit, It didn't need a extra bit welding in the car then.

Inside the gearbox; apart from the solid splines that go to the transfer box & the gearbox case, everything was identical to a gearbox out of a 2wd 1.7 none turbo diesel. Even the crown wheel was the same in both, just the 2wd had the diff on it instead of the splines.

I don't think it would do 100 on the road, that's just on the ramp with no load on it. As the previous owner said when I bought it "It'll do 0-60 in about 10 years, but it won't rob you on fuel, even with the auto gearbox".

I could give more information on the 4x4 alterations if needed, the only thing is I didn't get many pictures.

I don't think they ever did make a diesel 4x4, not in this country anyway. There are rumors of some in France but nothing conclusive.

"Can't believe you've just thrown this in as a throw away remark lol." - In all honesty I was just thinking of the problems. With everyone being so knowledgeable on here I'd thought someone else would have already done it. - Its not really too hard when you get in to it.

Thanks again for all the help.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I personally love the paint job
Me too :) Some time ago a large tin of copper coloured Hammerite came into my possession - that got used on the underside of the car I had at the time.
A 4x4 diesel is on the top of a lot of our wish list including mine.
..that_ Absolutely.

Welcome - very interesting thread =D>
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think 19D 4x4's were available on the continent, but I'm not sure if that included hatchback models. Someone has also built a TD 4x4, but some think that the torque may over strain those pesky splines.

Definately see a 5th gear mod in my 4x4's future, but may investigate Xantia and ZX ratios first.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I was toying with the idea of converting mine to 4x4, and even had the parts from an Mi16x4 (stronger transfer box) to do so. But it coincided with an unexpected house move, so needed the cash. Mind you, I made a decent profit on the bits!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

citsncycles wrote:Someone has also built a TD 4x4, but some think that the torque may over strain those pesky splines.
IIRC he spent a lot of time and money with Citroen upgrading the gearbox or am I getting confused with just a 2WD TZD Auto? grey braincells :?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi again all, So are you all telling me that no one here has done anything like this before?
citsncycles wrote:Someone has also built a TD 4x4, but some think that the torque may over strain those pesky splines.
What is the deal with the splines? And which ones is it? Is it them between the gearbox & transfer box or the ones inside the transfer box that go to the prop shaft?
citsncycles wrote:Definately see a 5th gear mod in my 4x4's future, but may investigate Xantia and ZX ratios first.
I was thinking of a 5th gear out of a Peugeot 405 TD gearbox. Would one be suitable.

Also looking at TD engine pictures I have seen, It looks like the turbos oil pipes would be in the way of the transfer box unless they could be modified. I, however, have never seen a TD engine in person to be able to compare against.

I think I will have to start another thread specifically about the 4x4 conversion...

Something I was wondering about (although it doesn't look likely without major engineering) Would a auto gearbox go on to a transfer box?

The paint job is just the primary colours - red, yellow & blue. It makes it more colourful under the car. The parts were a little rusty so I sanded them, treated them with anti rust paint, then put the top coat on. Makes a change from black or brown which it normally is.

David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi All.
Just a quick update.

I have pulled the right front driveshaft out so I can access the clamp on the height rod. & I have pulled the rear wheels off to look at the brake calipers. I will try to get some pictures on here for any advise you can give (especially on the brake calipers).

Just a quick question: How far will the rod need moving on the front to set the height correctly? After playing with it tonight its nearly at max height when in the "intermediate" setting & in the "low" setting it up slightly at the front.
Otherwise I will just have to try trial & error.

Has anyone any ideas about the other little issues mentioned above?
- Rear height rod jumping out *How to straighten it?*
- Fuel filler pipe leak *bad jubilee clips or something else I could have done wrong?*

I will start a separate thread on the 4x4 mod when I find what few pictures I took at the time & when I've taken some more.
I also have some more little mods to share if anyone is interested, Again I will do them on their own.

Thanks again for all the help.

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The rod on the ARB is *very* sensitive to movement - a slight nudge is probably all you need. Bear in mind that any play on the linkages may mean the ride height could be different depending on whether you are going up or coming down.

Fuel leakage could be one of the breather pipes popped off or split?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'll have to get under there to double check, but I'd have thought the rear height rod could be straightened with a set of self grip pliers.

As for gearboxes from different cars - I think virtually any Citroen or Peugeot from the 90's with an XU series engine would be fitted with a BE box (he types while preparing to be corrected!) The 405 TD is probably a good choice, although I suspect there may be variations as there was at least 2 versions of a 19TD engine fitted (high and low boost), plus possible changes between saloon and estate. I also wondered about ZX or 306 TD box - a smaller car should cope with higher gearing.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi again all, I've not had a chance to do anything at the car again yet.
The fuel leak is definitely coming from the filler pipe, by the connection to the tank, not the breathers, I will get some pictures when I get a chance.

& thanks citsncycles for the info on the gearboxes, I will keep a look out for any of the mentioned gearboxes, I was thinking a Peugeot 405 because they are more common in scrap than a BX. Although I thought a 306 would be different? as they are newer cars. (I could be wrong).

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

The 306 boxes are both higher geared, although that may be via the crown wheel. David I can check all the ratios for you and I have both a 306 td and 306 hdi box here. One of which I want to keep but the other I'll probably sell, or scrap if it doesn't sell.
Having put taller gearing on my previous TD, it was actually a bit too tall. Fine for cruising on the motorway, but too tall for any real oomph, so any mods will be a compromise of sorts. Having said that, changing 5th gear cogs is no real hardship, so easy to undo.
1990 BX TGD White
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi Bandit, If you could test the different ratios that would be helpful. I tested mine at 1000RPM & 2000 RPM & wrote the speed results in each gear on a piece of paper (somewhere. I would have to find it).

One more question though... Were there any difference between the gearboxes in the 1.7 non turbo diesel & the 1.9 non turbo diesel cars? - As mine was automatic to start with I never had a 1.9D manual gearbox to compare against.

I might be interested in the gearbox - depending on the results of the check, your location & the price. Really I wouldn't need a full gearbox, its just the 5th gear I'm looking in to.

Thanks again for the help.

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I'd have to calculate the speeds per 1000 rpm but that's no bother. I'll do the same for a 1.7 and 1.9 na box too for comparison. I don't know if there are differences between the na boxes but I can find out. What box do you have on your car?
1990 BX TGD White