Slagtrooper's BX 19 GTi 1993

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Re: Slagtrooper's BX 19 GTi 1993

Post by Slagtrooper »

I don't remember the entire number, but it starts with 9U
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

That's quite interesting as it really would be Uruguay then!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_id ... ntry_codes
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

I did a lot of googling and found a BX similar to yours:
http://clubcitroenbx.forouruguay.net/t8 ... mage-pablo

There's not much info about BX production (or put-together), but models from ZX onward are listed. This was completely new to me.
I found out that we finns are not the only ones to like our money and not paying taxes if we can avoid it (legally) :roll: . Uruguay has import tax on cars which you can avoid if the car has 35% of local origin. I think the labour is enough for putting it together there from parts. Plant name I found was Barra de Carrasco, Uruguay (Oferol) (also mentioned to be ex Sevel!?), nowadays "Planta de Chery Socma en Uruguay".

Slagtrooper maybe understands more than me with google translate:
http://www.cosasdeautos.com.ar/tag/effa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Slagtrooper to bringing more information on this beloved Citroen model!
(I would be interested to know the whole VIN-code to check if service.citroen.com knows anything about it. You may PM me if you don't want to publish it completely here, thanks.)
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Confirming number: 9U7X
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Love that tail lights color...
Kaapelimies wrote:
Slagtrooper maybe understands more than me with google translate:
http://www.cosasdeautos.com.ar/tag/effa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fun fact: I think Spanish is harder to understand for me than English - Someday i will try to do some classes, lol

Yeah, a couple of things that i couldn't determine is: If that two tone paintjob is genuine or a mod done by one of its former owners and if that 16V parts, like the rear vents and spoiler were standard with my ride being an 8V.

Restoring this car is becoming harder, but the internet is my friend and the best tool a 21st century mechanic can have. I'm liking this "mission". i'm not afraid, i'm enjoying it.
I think driving this car, with no problems, will be an act of counterculture, proving that french cars can be good and easy to maintain if you want. And the feeling of exclusivity.

And if you think finns like your money, they need to meet how brazilians like ours with their taxes...Better not, hahahah

Ps.: Kaapelimies, PVT for you.
Last edited by Slagtrooper on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

I'm stuck in the tank issue: Trying to repair (Difficult, chances of going wrong, huge economy of $$$$) or buying an used part in good condition in Sao Paulo, where i found doing some phone calls. (intact part, more money to spend, location is far from my city)

First of all i have to know: What exact kind of plastic is this tank made?

Oh yeah, 5 liters of Pentosin LHM are on its way :wink:
Citroën BX GTi 1993

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Not sure on the plastic, but there may be something moulded into the tank which tells you?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

I don't know, it has only some numbers and letters.
If it's a kind of code, i don't know how to read it.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Maybe post up a picture of the code and see whether anybody recognises it? It might be best in the Technical section, in case some people don't see it in here.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Ok. I'll try later and post today. I think this saturday morning i will buy it if i see that it can't be repaired. And an almost new unit is safer than a repaired one.

When i install the tank, the other repairs will be made more often and so this blog page will have more photos.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Good news! Used fuel tank and 5L of Pentosin LHM has been bought.

I was below the ride, struggling to install the tank and thinking: How can i extract the oil that still is in the hydraulic lines? Good thing is that oil in a certain way, was protecting the lines and rubbers. I hope the standard octopus is in good condition.

It became easier to fit the tank without the fuel hoses. Then, installing hoses with steel wire. Installed it yesterday, i'm using the hoses that came with the car only for tests. Hate the idea of using it amended like it is, will buy new ones (3 meters, nice red hose) and renew all the rubber from fuel system. Today i will try cleaning the LHM Reservoir and hydraulic lines. And start the engine!

I've been thinking about the exhaust too: Is impossible to find the intermediate muffler, that one which is installed sideways. I want to install a sporty exhaust system, i will maintain the standard catalyser (Too expensive for me buying a new one).
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

It's been a while, but got little progress until now.

Installed tank + hoses. Installed pump, done a hillbilly fix for fitting the bomb at the rubber case [i think it's note the original part]. Tried crank the engine; No success. I need to review the bomb connector and of course, put some more gas - I had only 4 liters of it.

But the real good news is: I FOUND ANOTHER BX USER!

Yea, he lives in another state, far from here, i found him in a poor frequented Citroën forum. E-mailed and now we talk by whats'app. He sent a photo of not one, but THREE BX GTi 16 Soupapes! Two of them are scrap for giving parts, but no drivetrain fitted on both. His ride needs a new octopus that i will try to make and send to him [A mechanic, owner of a BX (third user!), STOLE his octopus and gave him the two BX carcasses without DT]
He isn't a mechanic, i think he doesn't know "the DIY path" and he isn't able to understand english very well. [Yeah, everything i found about the BX is in English (Some Lituanian material too)]

So i will act as a translator and mechanic guide for him and he will send some parts and i will pay the shipping [Of course i will give some money for him drink some booze]. Even with the two spare BX's, he needs some parts too, like the 45 cm antenna that we can't find in any other place around. I don't know if a Pug uses the same antenna, it's very big, by the way.

Later i will post some photos. Is a good material for that "there i fixed it" pages, lol
It's only for testing, i hate that kind of fixes.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The Antenna is the same on many Peugeots- 306, 205 405 etc
You will probably need much more than 4 litres of fuel to start the car, I would try 10 to be sure it is reaching the pump.
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

More good news! Bought 20 Liters of additivated gas and tried to crank the engine. Started on the 1st attempt! I need for sure fix its idle - Is at the right RPM range (something like 950 rpm, 1.9 8V with autobox), but its unstable, sometimes it shut down. Need and will try to change the exhaust tube for reducing the damn noise, looks like a tuned NA engine, but that noise is from the idle too: The mixture is wrong, the eyes burn - I think the timing isn't good.

But even that, i wanted to RISE that car, the 5 liters of LHM was lying in its trunk, waiting for giving life again to the beast, lol

So, yesterday i cleaned the reservoir, filters and the level meter, extracted some more old standard red oil and done that "Citroen Ritual" [Prime the bomb, release pressure, etc.]. Started engine, fuel pump's belt squealing. Done some research and all of the tips were to tight the belt. Tighten using the japanese site techique with the 17mm spanner and the tension was now perfect. Started again and got the AWESOME FEELING OF THE CAR RISING!

Boys and girls, that was a good feeling! The accumulator is clicking at the right times, the STOP sign dissapeared!
[Yeah, i know this isn't new to you, but here in Brazil, this suspension system is rocket science for most people and mechanics too. Every friend, every pal is waiting and DEMANDING that i fix this car for they see the system functioning]
Two things i have to adjust: The height lever is stiff to engage at the "slammed" [service] position and the "jeep mode" [higher height]. Today i will do the Citrobatics and brake bleeding, i only tested the basics - It was 2:30 AM and had to work at 8:30! I hope that isn't something wrong with the height correctors. I hope only the linkage needs some lube.

Fun fact: My ride rises the rear first, then the front.

I'm loving this car more and more, every day i fix something, every day i look at it. I'm thinking to do a Brazilian BX Club with Rodrigo [the friend i told earlier], this way it will become easier to find another BX owners, exchange knowledge and specially - Help others to restore more BX's.

***Yeah, my posts are lacking photos, because i lost the cell phone transfer cable and the BlueTooth is annoyingly slow. Today i will buy one and add the pics.***
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Today when i was leaving, going to work, i saw that the height stayed the same i left, i think this is a good sign...
Citroën BX GTi 1993