front end shunt - f***! Insurance claim advice please.

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Re: front end shunt - f***! Insurance claim advice please.

Post by tim »

Thanks for all the advice. Having talked to the insurance co, either they or the other lot would want engineers to look at it. Balls to that....we know where that will go. Panels are available and I've found a mate who can weld, so we are going for it as soon as I've got the panels.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

tim wrote: we know where that will go.
as i said this is not usually the case, and if the engineer is coming to you, it is less likely they could remove the car from you,

did you tell them you are retaining salvage rights????

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I had one lot of insurers happy to view the car at a Motor Workshop 100 meters up the road and another lot insist it be taken on a low loader to a Coachworks 5 miles away. In the latter case the barstewards snapped the ignition key in the barrel for fun even though I'd used it for 5 years without a problem....
The damage on mine was worse than on yours but similar on the o/s instead. Both bonnet hinges totalled and even nearside wing needs realignment at a minimum. Try and persuade them to see it at yours or a very local garage/workshop. There is no requirement for them to crush that at all - Cat C or D most likely, I think ie reapirable.

Good luck with them.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

The issue is not whether it is repairable (it is) but the cost. Local bodyshop gave me a price of about £400 which equates to 10 hours work. This means a writeoff. Since Andy put those pictures up everyone has said the same thing! All that's left is how much hassle would be involved if I followed the writeoff road.. I am still checking some things out and will let you know when I have answers.....and I'm still not sure how easy reinsuring it would be.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Reinsuring is no issue at all, you only need a VIC check if you are selling it on afterwards. We had Mums 25 written off 3 years ago and it was damaged to a similar level, the insurance were happy to reinsure the car afterwards but made a note that the car would be worth not much if it was being involved another accident.

Its up to you Tim after all bud, if you know the car and its a good one then if you can repair it without costing a fortune then do it. If shes a tired old girl with issues then maybe best to call it a day.

If my TZI or GT were damaged the same there is NO WAY I would let them get written off, however the estate with its issues I would probably.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

my TZD was recorded as total loss and i still have it and im still using it, apart from i could not find the road tax at the end of October so shes on a SORN at the minute, only till a get the dosh together to TAX her again

and the third parties insurers engineer came to me to view the car, it never left my control,

just out of interest were was the damage to the Merc

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Malc, once a cars been written off then repaired and a Vic check hasn't been done DVLA no longer send tax reminders for some reason! We don't get one for the 25.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tim Leech wrote:Malc, once a cars been written off then repaired and a Vic check hasn't been done DVLA no longer send tax reminders for some reason! We don't get one for the 25.
that odd Mr Leach
as i still get TAX reminders for the TZD,

must just be for Rovers ( WOOF WOOF )

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

citronut wrote:
Tim Leech wrote:Malc, once a cars been written off then repaired and a Vic check hasn't been done DVLA no longer send tax reminders for some reason! We don't get one for the 25.
that odd Mr Leach
as i still get TAX reminders for the TZD,

must just be for Rovers ( WOOF WOOF )

regards malcolm

Isnt your claim still going through for the TZD though? so it hasnt been officially written off?
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

no Tim
i ended up taking what the third parties insurancer was prepared to cough up, as i had a financial crisis's,
but i will be pursuing the un/insured losses via other channels

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ahh ok its prob not recorded as a write off.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well the damage on mine was not a lot worse than that shown in the photos, but the repair cost 4 years ago was 3,300 nowhere near 400. In fact if it had been 400 it would have been repaired. Can't get all the parts from Citroen mate, of course it was sent to the most expensive bodyshop for assessment..... As far as I can work out it needs both front cross rails/members, new o/s wing, some metal work to inner wing, new headlight and indicator, realign n/s wing, new wiper grill and bumper. All paintwork in nice platinum grey.

As regards the SORN reminder, I don't get them for the old car as it is presumably registered as a write off.... so I have to remember to SORN it or risk a fine. Ah, the stupidity of the DVLA.....money making machine.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tim Leech wrote:Ahh ok its prob not recorded as a write off.
the third parties insurance company ( Equity red star ) put my car down as total loss,
as there engineer put the repair cost at £1700 and a bit, these engineers do tend to have a strange imaginatio,

theres no way a replacement door and repair to a sill could come anywhere near that,
no wonder the worlds in the state its in these days

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have