BX TU engine swap?

BX Tech talk
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Re: BX TU engine swap?

Post by Stinkwheel »

Kitch wrote:Call me a crook but I wouldn't even tell them. Externally they're nearly identical. They'd only know if they had a resident PSA engine expert, and having worked in the trade I can tell you.....nobody is.
I was thinking similar, but obviously i wasnt ;)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The reason I did it was so it felt like I'd completed the job and done it properly, and at the time had little (~£20) effect on insurance. The the next time I came to do it the premium was almost double! Now it's on a classic policy it's back to bugger all again.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well, both Kitch and I are wrong on the block material. It is apparently steel on the later engine and the C4 we have is the 120ps unit (1.6 16v) with an alloy head. Either way, it is not a bad unit, quite responsive and that nice Pug tractability low down in 2nd that is very useful in the real world. Bit different to a few Renault engines I could name.... :lol:

Guess the steel takes a longer life (more cycles of vibration) and allows a little more tuning/higher output. It really should not be that much heavier as weight strength steel to alloy is similar. I am quite prepared to believe that a new casting technique in steel premeditated the change, along with less machining/fitting as in individual liners etc. Cheaper but better, still maybe not optimum but this is volume production so valid.

Same problem about lowdown breathing that some Jap m/cycle engines had and in some cases still have. Lambertini solved that on the old 3 1/2 Morini and that was with a flat cylinder head and push rod valves to 10,000 rpm....
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

More moronic interference from DVLA. You hold the data. Ding Dong, data change. Fact, Irrelevant who put it in there or where it came from. Deal with it. Show me the legalese covering such interrogation and we might get on. They do not warrant being told anything as they only want to use it against you for funding and to justify their existence. VOSA, the Gestapo of Government Transportation, will of course go off on one. Unfortunately with no actual footing to do so, but when did that stop a Gestapo. They do not like Classics as much is beyond their knowledge and touch and they glower at you in their motorway traffic jam creators. Enjoy the last years of freedom before you need to fill in a form to go to Devon.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tinkley wrote:Well, both Kitch and I are wrong on the block material. It is apparently steel on the later engine and the C4 we have is the 120ps unit (1.6 16v) with an alloy head. Either way, it is not a bad unit, quite responsive and that nice Pug tractability low down in 2nd that is very useful in the real world. Bit different to a few Renault engines I could name.... :lol:

Guess the steel takes a longer life (more cycles of vibration) and allows a little more tuning/higher output. It really should not be that much heavier as weight strength steel to alloy is similar. I am quite prepared to believe that a new casting technique in steel premeditated the change, along with less machining/fitting as in individual liners etc. Cheaper but better, still maybe not optimum but this is volume production so valid.

Same problem about lowdown breathing that some Jap m/cycle engines had and in some cases still have. Lambertini solved that on the old 3 1/2 Morini and that was with a flat cylinder head and push rod valves to 10,000 rpm....
Are you saying it's steel, not iron? Because as I said before, all the TU5 engines were iron blocked. The alloy blocks never went above TU3 specs, and the TU3J2 AX GTi engine had domed pistons and an iron block to handle the increased compression.

But steel??
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)