The Myth, The Legend, The Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4!

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
barry badger
BXpert
BXpert

Re: The Myth, The Legend, The Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4!

Post by barry badger »

Which parts of the zx driveshaft can be used and from which model? My nsr one has a lot of play in the outer joint, not sure if its the joint or the splines on the shaft, it needs stripping to investigate further. Although none of this is apparent when driving it.

Mines off the road at the moment for a bit of welding/rustproofing, I had a feeling there was something going on under the osr wheel arch so i kept it garaged over the winter. I was right there was a small rust hole about 20mm x 20mm. I noticed a wet patch on the bottom of the sill at the rear when the rest of the car was long dry. It was water kicked up by the wheel getting into the box section and draining down into the sill.

Have you ever stripped a bx transfer box?
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on the road

David
BXpert
BXpert

Post by David »

Well, What a busy few weeks it's been with the BX.

I found that I had another leak from the octopus & that leak from the engine, so rather than struggling to try to get behind the engine & transfer box, I just pulled the engine out to make things easier to get to.

I have replaced the octopus & return hoses with nylon air tube, which I have seen recommended on this forum, which are a better fit than the previous one I made, and they don't rub right up against the transfer box, drive shaft, subframe & front height corrector now. The actual "octopus" (if you can call it that now) lives right next to the LHM tank now & it is all easily accessible.

That oil leak from the engine turned out to be another crap crankshaft oil seal, which was replaced (again) when I put the A/C system in the car, but yet was still leaking. It has been replaced yet again, and while I had the car apart I resealed the sump, spacer plate & main bearing cap just to be sure that it wasn't leaking there.

The hardi-disk has also been replaced as it looked like it was on the brink of splitting in half, and as it was easier to get to with the engine out, it seemed like a great time to do it.

I then reassembled the front end. It's also had new diesel pipes as the rubber was starting to perish.

I have also fitted it a new A/C compressor as the other one had a leak. I found one for a Lamborghini Diablo which fits perfectly. I just need a condensor now.

Once the front end was together & the engine ran, I moved my attention to the rear diff which... Guess what... Had oil leaks from the drive shaft holes. This time I've replaced the oil seals with some with tighter lips so I'm hoping that it's finally sealed them.

This time I also got some pictures when it was apart.

I've driven the car around 20 miles over the last two days, so I need to have another look underneath now.

Oh, the car finally hit 200000 miles yesterday! What a milestone.

I've tried to contact pleiades about a new hydraulic pipe for the rear, but they haven't got back to me yet, so I'm assuming that they're closed for the lockdown, so that leak hasn't been touched. Yet.
Kaapelimies wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:49 pm
Red color makes it faster! =D>
Not really, it's only a 1.9 diesel engine. I was just bored with everything being black and rusty, and as I had a tub of red paint lying around, I painted it red.
barry badger wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:04 am
Which parts of the zx driveshaft can be used and from which model? My nsr one has a lot of play in the outer joint, not sure if its the joint or the splines on the shaft, it needs stripping to investigate further. Although none of this is apparent when driving it.

Have you ever stripped a bx transfer box?
I sent you a detailed pm on this.
The drive shaft was a fiasco as the seller didn't measure it properly, so it was smaller than I expected, but I'll be able to use its parts somewhere else.

No I've never pulled a complete transfer box apart, only the speedo drive, prop shaft drive & the left plate that bolts to the gearbox.

Here are the pictures that I managed to get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2011 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).

David
BXpert
BXpert

Post by David »

More pictures.

Showing the clutch, flywheel, oil seal, another of the engine & testing the thermostat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kaapelimies
BXpert
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

That blue colour in the flywheel doesn't look good. Is that the original flywheel? I think I have never seen that lightened model in my hands.
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.

David
BXpert
BXpert

Post by David »

It's funny that you mention that; It's not visible to the eye, but it's there in the pictures, unless it's the light on it? I'd just washed it with brake cleaner when I took the picture.

No, it's not the original flywheel, it's the 3rd one I've had on it; The original was the automatic driveplate. This one is off a Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi. I needed it because the 1.7 diesel one I had fitted before wouldn't fit with the A/C sump; it needed the cut out in the back, which this one has. An added advantage is that the clutch is the same size on both flywheels.

Kaapelimies
BXpert
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

Yes, camera sees more than human eye, so it's probably just infrared light added to the picture. And also flywheel explained, this is new info for me that the A/C sump is longer than the tinplate one (: .
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.