Wtd Radiator cowling/fans for 16V Break Spare wheel carrier

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Wtd Radiator cowling/fans for 16V Break Spare wheel carr

Post by Way2go »

citronut wrote:i always thought the the likes of the GTI/16V and TD's all came with twin fans

regards malcolm

My GTi does but it has aircon and I believe this specifies twin fans and a larger radiator in the build.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Vanny wrote:and don't forget that an electric cooling fan is typically useless over 40mph.
Interesting comment. When it was the norm for the fan to be driven off the engine (hence "fan" belt) it was considered "cool" to customise the car with either variable pitch Kenlowe mechanical fans or "extra cool" to fit electric fans. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Way2go wrote:
Interesting comment. When it was the norm for the fan to be driven off the engine (hence "fan" belt) it was considered "cool" to customise the car with either variable pitch Kenlowe mechanical fans or "extra cool" to fit electric fans. :)
i thought the idea of fitting an electric fan in place of the engine driven type, was to reduce the horse power used/taken from the engine

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citronut wrote:
Way2go wrote:
i thought the idea of fitting an electric fan in place of the engine driven type, was to reduce the horse power used/taken from the engine

regards malcolm

There's a number of reasons as I was referring to diy enthusiasts here.

As a production change it was driven by the introduction of transverse engines and the need to relocate the radiator back to its efficient location at the front of the car. (BMC 1100 had problems with their radiator in the wheelarch :) )
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Way2go wrote:
As a production change it was driven by the introduction of transverse engines
Except that they still make longitudinal engines (Jag, Land Rover for example) and they're pretty much all electric!

Dispensing with mechanical fans, even the clutched types, gets over a lot of problems with over/under cooling and cooling when it's just not wanted. Though electric fans are typically not as powerful. Its much easier to tune electric cooling fan control (which still saps power from the engine) than it is to tune a mechanical clutched fan.

Oh and mechanical fans have a tendency to fail with humorous consequences when they hit water. Probably not an issue most of us will ever experience.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Ha ha!

I think you mean this one Hilary;

which is number 2 (and a couple of 8s) from here

I also have 8s and 9s from here

Still in need? Do you need it shipped or can you collect from the Midlands?
hilarystone
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 16V, BX Van 16V, Visa GTI, CX Ambulance Turbo diesel, Xsara VTS Phase 1 and 2, Lotus Elan 1970, Clan Crusader, C8 2l petrol, 1982 GSA Pallas, 1974 GS Birotor

Post by hilarystone »

Yes most definitely all those parts please. If you could ship that would be great as it would mean the van could be finished quickly now… How much do you want for them?
Hilary Stone

http://www.Hilarystone.com
Period bikes, frames and parts

1985 Citroen CX Ambulance, 1989 Citroen BX 16V, 1987 Citroen Visa GTI, 2008 Citroen C8 2l petrol, Citroen BX Van 16V, Clan Crusader, 1970 Lotus Elan, Citroen Xsaras VTS phase1 and Phase 2, Citroen GSA, GS Birotor