NOS Gti style wheel trims.

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: NOS Gti style wheel trims.

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And I shall look after the trims in the meantime :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

£84 for wheeltrims that were the basic option on a car - batshit crazy IMO! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

How much would an individual wheel trim cost from a Citroën dealer when they were current? I'm sure they would have been more than £21 each.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mds141 wrote:How much would an individual wheel trim cost from a Citroën dealer when they were current? I'm sure they would have been more than £21 each.

Brand new ones where 28 quid in 1997 - I used to buy them routinely for my Athena (then lose the valve cover the same day :( )
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

So taking inflation into account, Phil has actually saved quite a few quid on these Gti style trims.
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

The current going rate for new trims is about £25 a trim minimum, to get a full set is even more uber rare so Phil has a bargain IMHO.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I acknowledge it is crazy but I have been looking for original trims since I got the car and even used ones in need of a refurb will cost a tenner each - assuming you can find a set of four! What's more I do intend to get a set of silver Speedlines which, when they do become available might well need a refurb. So that'll all cost a lot more than £84 all in. All in all I spent what I needed to (although my max bid was £86!)....
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The last one I bought from Citroen about 8 years ago was £32! So it's not bad, go find another set cheaper!!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Oh shit sorry Phil, I didn't realise you'd bought them! Last I read you bowed out, I wouldn't have been as blunt if I knew it was someone on here :lol:

I'm sure compared with inflation etc etc they're probably good value against the dealer RRP, but when the dealer RRP is also eye-wateringly expensive, that doesn't really say much.

I think I could justify them on a Pilot, as it has to have them, but a GTi? It could have Speedlines 8)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Don't worry, Kitch no offence taken or even hinted at! I am possibly batshit crazy, lol, but I need to maintain an element of originality and until the Speedlines become available I can at least have the trims (probably won't fit them until after the winter though!). How much would be sensible to budget to have a set of Speedlines refurbished professionally? I reckon about £40 a wheel?

Also, when I have put the Speedlines on (which'll have my newish Michelins on them) I'll have a set of mismatched (one wheel has fewer holes) steels to either dump or keep for winters. Then, I guess a part-worn set of trims will be for sale, so I might make half my money back?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Kitch wrote:£84 for wheeltrims that were the basic option on a car - batshit crazy IMO! :lol:

I'm with you on this Kitch. However the cult of "back to standard" reigns high in BXC. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

NOS Gti style wheel trims.

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

£84 is not expensive when compared to what else I have spent on the car in the past three months - but it is a bit crazy I admit. :)

It's not that I am too hung up on the back to standard bit, but I can't find aftermarket trims that look right on the car. I like the GTi/TZD trim design as it compliments the car very well (IMO). Aftermarket bits are not inherently 'wrong' but if I am doing a light resto on an increasing rare model that is held up as a design classic (by some :) ) I might as well get the 'look' right. I have had to compromise on the front fogs as it is.
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Hey Phil, Surely this BX has got to be a keeper now with all the love lavished on it and the increasing rarity buzz?
:D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Re the alloy wheel refurb, I spent £300 on mine. It was a top notch job and that included wheel removal and refitting tyres and balancing etc.
Mark Smith

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

My Speedlines on the TGS were £50 each to refurb. The new tyres were £39 on top of this. Added to this was a fiver a wheel to fit tyre and balance them. Obviously it will be cheaper if you already have the tyres. They did a fantastic job.
Dont forget that if you fit speedlines and dont either have one as a spare or have the steel spare with the spacers, you will need to carry a set of normal sized wheel bolts with you and the standard steel wheel. Alloy bolts will when bolted up lock the standard wheel solid being too long.

Andy