144, 000 mile service coming up.

BX Tech talk
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Apologies for coming in with that glib phrase "the approved way" of lifting the engine. I was tight for time and couldn't explain what I meant, which was any safe method that puts no stress or strain on the driveshafts, or any other vital parts (like the mechanic).

After initial lifting onto stands, my method is to undo the timing-belt side engine mount after securely supporting the engine under the sump, using a bit of wood as the meat in a sump-jack sandwich. For once, Haynes describes it well, though I can't remember exactly where.

Get axle-stands or similar in once you can get them underneath, rather than the jack - which is of course only for lifting, unless it's got a very secure lock and you're the trusting type.

Even without undoing the bottom mounting (which I'm reluctant to do after my last experience with one), it makes a little more room for fingers around the octopus area.

Drive-shaft out gives a lot more room.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

roscoe wrote:Thanks Chris
I'll have to do some serious de-greasing under there first and find all the ends of the octopus before I start pulling things apart. Also have to make sure I can get one here from a Citroen stealer - haven't got a lot of faith that they'll have one in stock in the country or want to order one in (at a reasonable cost)!

BTW, have you managed to pop the oil temp sensor in the post (the used one)?

cheers, Brian
I can get a new octopus for about £20 if you get stuck mate.

Yeah the sensor left these shores early last week, Would have thought you'd have it by now?? Whats the ususal postage time to oz?? I've had various things go missing in the post latley....

If it doesn't arrive soon mate let me know and I'll fire another one over..

Incidentally Tom, I agree. It's easy to spend LOADS of money on a BX without thinking about it! My valvers cost £4500 so far, and thats all at cost price! :shock: The TD's cost way more than that but I've had it a long time, either way I reckon it's still cheaper than buying a new car..

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Cheers Chris
Post times are usually under 5 days but with the extra Christmas load, it's probably twice that so hopefully it'll come in the next day or so. I'll check on octopus availability here and let you know - won't be till the new year though.
My previous 16V (which is up for sale again - the red one in the attached link) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Citroen-BX-16- ... dZViewItem

had a load of money spent on it by me to get it up to what I considered good shape - far more than it was worth but emotion plays a part in that instead of common sense sometimes :? Anyway, by the time I sold it, the car was fault-free, leak-free and was one of the better examples of a 16V I've seen over here. I might have been able to buy a new Hyundai or similar piece of junk for what I spent on the valver, but the driving pleasure wouldn't have been there, nor the pride of being able to maintain and drive something that is different and 'fun'. Main reason I sold it was it became the misses' daily driver around town and they aren't suited for that - found it was just not economical to use for short trips in super hot weather - so she got the Peugeot 307, I drive the TZD daily to work and the valver got sold!
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter