Major Forum Upgrade *Please Read*

Anything about BXs
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Major Forum Upgrade *Please Read*

Post by Way2go »

CitroXim wrote:I'm going to have trouble reproducing that W2G, can you show me the problem on some screenshots please?

Keen to fix and make it good for you...
Thanks Jim, I'll have to take some pictures with the camera and post them for you as I don't think I can capture from the web browser directly. I think it may have something to do with the web interaction with the zoom settings which are normally at 200% for viewability on side-by-side.
The old site worked well at this setting but I am aware that each software seems to have its differences. For example, although BXC & BXP are both on PhpBB3, The old BXC wrapped correctly but BXP did not and has to be horizontally panned to get to the right of the page. Curiously the new BXC does not enable horizontal panning even though there is content to the right.
I guess all this cross-platform stuff today makes for an ever more complicated life for the Webmaster? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Way2go wrote: I guess all this cross-platform stuff today makes for an ever more complicated life for the Webmaster? :wink:
It certainly does :twisted: Keeps us on our toes though!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and then getting to grips with the issues...
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Jim :D :wink:
Firstly, Thank you very very much indeed Jim for your very kind reply :) and for all of your very valued help and expertise Jim :D :D :wink:
Secondly, Shari tells me we are using a Windows X P on a desktop computer with Google chrome 8) 8) :D
Thirdly Jim, I am very very pleased to say that today I have had absolutely no problems what so ever logging on today Jim =D> =D> =D> :D
I am sorry for hitting the panic button :oops: Jim :roll: :wink:
Many Thanks indeed :D
Vince :D
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

CitroXim wrote:
Way2go wrote: I guess all this cross-platform stuff today makes for an ever more complicated life for the Webmaster? :wink:
It certainly does :twisted: Keeps us on our toes though!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and then getting to grips with the issues...
Hi Jim, A few photo's of the Index Page which shows that the "page wrapping interaction" is not following the zoom. Previously OK at the 200% zoom needed for readability in this mode, now the right hand side is being "lost" and there is no horizontal panning available either.

Now at 150%

Now at 125%

Now at 100% & very small text which is unreadable on the smallest text let alone being able to click the cursor on the small square.

Hope this illustrates and gives you a clue as to the problem, Jim.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

bx petrol auto saloon wrote: Thirdly Jim, I am very very pleased to say that today I have had absolutely no problems what so ever logging on today Jim =D> =D> =D> :D
Vince, that's excellent news :D
Way2go wrote:
Hi Jim, A few photo's of the Index Page which shows that the "page wrapping interaction" is not following the zoom.
Thanks W2G :D

I'll be in touch after research....
Jim

CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

W2G,

Try it again now. I've done a small mod that allows the width of the display to be as wide as any screen now.. Also...

Does the French Car Forum (www.frencehcarforum.co.uk/forum) exhibit the same behaviour?

I ask as the FCF uses the same version and revision of phpBB software as the FCF but employs a different theme (skin). If the FCF is OK and you like the theme then I can make it available as an option on here...
Jim

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Hi Jim, There is no improvement to either the BXC or its test forum. The frenchcarforum exhibits the same symptoms too.
It's strange that the last incarnation worked and this doesn't. :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

OK, That's interesting... I'll think some more....
Jim

electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Hi Jim,
Well done for doing the upgrade - very modern :)
I don't have any problems but my 2 p worth might be helpful.
I'm running XP pro with dual 22" widescreens (Samsung 2232BW - I'd recommend them - about £40 on eBay and failed ones usually respond satisfactorily to the usual capacitor replacement strategy) and I normally run Firefox. Being an awkward cuss I'm not using them for 2 'landscape' screens but with 4 'portrait' so I do sometimes have problems where pages have been written specifically for widescreen display though I don't seem to be missing anything from BXClub pages.

Going to http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/ the top banner obviously has the right hand side missing on my 'portrait' display, but there is bar at the bottom of the page to move the image to the left to view the right hand side of the page but when doing so the writing to the right of the banner is very cramped and very tall - but that's because my object size is set to about the size of a sheet of quarto paper. When entering the site, the banner remains incomplete but there is no longer the bar at the bottom of the page. Fiddling about with reducung object width further I do actually start to lose first the middle 'statistics' column and then the 'last post' column - not an issue for me but that might point towards a problem with mobile devices - I don't use those - life's hard enough without brain cancer.

I've seen a few little problems on other pages - eBay for example - if you display a page with an item on such as...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252115559253? ... EBIDX%3AIT

there's a navigation bar at the bottom to get to stuff on the right hand side of the page so in theory - no probs - but bear with me - there's weirdness to come !

If you then do a search for 'fire basket' as in...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... t&_sacat=0

there's obviously stuff missing from the right hand side but now there's no navigation bar at the bottom of the page - the only way to get to it is to expand the box to 'landscape' - and if you expand it far enough you'll find the tick-box 'include description' appear under the 'search' box. If you need to use the 'include description' facility - which I do from time to time - then expanding the width of the page is the only way I can do that !

Ok - here's a page which might have some interesting code if you could get to see it...

http://www.zingzing.co.uk/tvguide/

It never dispays a navigation bar at the bottom: it still works if you make the page narrow but it doesn't word-wrap - what you can't see, you can't see - end of story. The amazing thing about this page is that when I put it on the left hand side of my left hand monitor and grab the right hand edge to expand it - I can keep on going all the way to the right hand edge of the right hand monitor so it displays across both monitors. I'm impressed by that (it's actually useful as well) but there might be something in the page code that's useful to compression for wordwrap - useful, that is, to someone brighter than me :wink:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Thanks electro :D That is really appreciated!

As soon as I'm a little less knackered from the 75 mile cycle ride I did today I'll take a closer look...

It may be a couple if days....
Jim