Flat accumulator?

BX Tech talk
morningglory
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

Flat accumulator?

Post by morningglory »

Hi,

I was parked on my drive at a slight angle and the front suspension didn't rise for the first time the other day (the rear was fine). After I reversed out onto the flat road, the front rose fine and now all is well.

The hydraulic pump doesn't seem to be ticking more than it ever did, but could this suspension problem be a flat accumulator?
What other symptoms would I get? Heavy steering?

Also, what are people's thoughts on new or re-gassed spheres? Any brands recommended? Mine are originals and were re-gassed a couple of years ago now.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Flat accumulator?

Post by rutter123 »

The front not rising could be one of many things, low lhm, sticking front struts, sticking front height corrector or linkage, sometimes that little bump down the kerb is enough to free it off, have you had a good look around the underside for any leaks esp any rubber returns?
Heavy steering symptoms is generally a weak hyd pump.
As for tick time, i would be inclined to change the acc.sp. If anything less than 30 seconds at idle both my bx's run between 45/60 secs with new ones every 2 yrs.
As for regassed spheres personally i dont bother i just buy new ones as its works out just as cheap if not cheaper, it also depends how good your old ones are internally, o/e units tend to ride better than patterns but thats down to the purists to decide. Plaedies offer a sphere gassing service at about £25 per sphere.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
morningglory
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

Post by morningglory »

Thanks for this. This forum's great. I'll have a bit more of a play if its not bucketing it down this weekend.

I took 'The Canal Boat' to my Citroen man a few weeks ago for new fuel pipes where he also replaced a return to the front o/s strut. He said other than that, the hydraulics were fine, but he thought the steering was heavy (I can't say I've noticed).

I have o/e spheres as I've heard they are better for ride quality but I'll fully nerd-up on this debate later....

Ta

Joe
1994 TZD Estate in 'Canal-Boat Green'

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

As mentioned, if the accumulator was flat the pump would be ticking all the time, sounds like a stuck height corrector or dirt in it
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Heavy steering can be tracking - the front tyre wear should be pretty much dead even around the centre of the tyre if it is correct. The other thing that affects it is tyre make ie carcass construction, the Michelins are pretty sweet with some light weight, but Dunlops are very light, and it appears that Pirellis are a bit on the heavy side. Can't speak for other brands though I have had plenty of others on the rear(s) Goodyear, Westlake, Nanking, Uniroyal etc.
Even without PAS I would not describe a petrol BX as heavy on the steering, diesels yes - just engine weight.