A non-sinking feeling...

BX Tech talk
northernchap
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1992 BX17 TZD Turbo Diesel Estate, 1988 Fiat Panda 4x4, 1991 Peugeot 309 GLD, 1965 Ford Mustang

Re: A non-sinking feeling...

Post by northernchap »

Yeah, that was my thinking too - as I've not had the car that long I can't be sure when it was last working totally OK. I'm wondering if perhaps the front was already seized and the back was OK but weighing it down and then trying to raise it up again afterwards maybe extended it too far and it got stuck... well I suppose it doesn't matter how, so long as it's getting fixed!
1992 BX17 TZD Turbo Diesel Estate [Red]
1988 Fiat Panda 4x4 [NATO green]
1991 Peugeot 309 GLD [Champagne beige]
1965 Ford Mustang [Black]
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

And you can manage to swallow the bill!!!!!!!
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
northernchap
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1992 BX17 TZD Turbo Diesel Estate, 1988 Fiat Panda 4x4, 1991 Peugeot 309 GLD, 1965 Ford Mustang

Post by northernchap »

Well, it's taken some time but the car is back and it's now working! Just in case anyone is following this thread, here's what seems to have happened.

At some point, someone has put something dubious into the reservoir we think. This was OK when I picked up the car, it must have had enough LHM in the system to still function fairly normally. The leaky n/s/f brake and flexy pipes were allowing the LHM to escape the system, meaning the car was pulling in the bad 'fluid' from the reservoir to replace the good LHM. This then got all the way through the car and buggered up everything it came into contact with, which basically means:

Flow valve (replaced)
Both front spheres (replaced)
Accumulator sphere (replaced)
Pump (replaced)
Both height correctors (stripped and cleaned)

On top of this, the leaking flexy and leg returns were replaced, as was the broken speedo cable (previous repairer used wrong route which wore it out), various other things were also sorted such as the radiator not being bolted in properly, likewise the turbo parts on the top of the engine, some pipes not properly attached, and even more vital stuff like the rear door lock wasn't working on the central locking, the battery wasn't bolted down, the glovebox wasn't attached right and the rear tail light was cracked.

What I now have is a BX which goes up and down quicker than any Ray has ever seen before, and is otherwise a really nice car he says - it definitely seems it was looked after by Malcolm and then badly bodged in a short space of time by someone who didn't know what they were doing. You live and learn though eh, and it's another one saved from the scrapheap at least! :)
1992 BX17 TZD Turbo Diesel Estate [Red]
1988 Fiat Panda 4x4 [NATO green]
1991 Peugeot 309 GLD [Champagne beige]
1965 Ford Mustang [Black]
BXcitro
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX TZD TURBO

Post by BXcitro »

Great news you've got her back in good health and saved from the scrapheap.
You really can't be clueless when owning an old hydropneumatic Citroen, sadly if they get in the wrong hands, which they do, then christ knows what ends up in the hydraulic system, washing up liquid probably!
It's no wonder they've become so rare!
Anyway, you can enjoy her now.
1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Good job.