Citroen BX 1.9 VAN - Mayo, Ireland

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Citroen BX 1.9 VAN - Mayo, Ireland

Post by rutter123 »

So, a car that has been brought as "scrap" still needs valid tax,insurance and mot? Even if its being taken away on a trailer? This seems ludicrous, sure I can insure it but assuming it has no current test certificate taxing it throws up another anomalie. Maybe a call to DVLA will clear things up.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

No , the car is not roadworthy so not sure why people are commenting on taxing and insuring it. You just go over with a trailer and collect it with proof of ownership (sales receipt) from the current owner. You do all the registering etc when it gets over here, declare it SORN and tax/insure it when you have it roadworthy.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

It wasn't clear to me in the advert if it was roadworthy or not. If not, now we know you have to trailer it back and no tax, MOT or insurance are necessary.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Ok, si I have some info from DVLA, but there is nothing about importing a non runner, lets say "barn find" only info on vehicles that have full status.
Dvla weren't really that helpful all they wanted to do was send an email with relative info on importing new or driveable vehicles and the large handful of V type forms that may need to be filled out.
It's all still unclear, nonetheless I've not heard anything back from the vendor so its all still up in the air.
I might try my local VRO depot and see if they can shed some light. I don't want to risk it and have the car impounded at the port.
As /\ says the ad is unclear as to the status of the car so I can only assume its without any current certs.
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

If it is transported to the UK, rather than driven, then you don't need any documentation to import it, but to get UK registration you will need a current MOT, a receipt for purchase and evidence that it has previously been registered in the EU.
Meter rat
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen Acadiane
Citroen BX 16 TGS
The moderns.
Skoda Superb
Citroen C1
The Motor Bike,
250 MZ

Post by Meter rat »

When we imported the the acadine, the vendor in France brought it to the port on a trailer, drove it on the ferry and drove it off the other side. We met in a lay-by and put it on our trailer. He went back as a foot passenger. We had all the documents, including the french MOT (CT), and the french carte Gris, (log book). As it was legal in France, but not road worthy he was able to drive it short distances. When it was ready for the road, we insured it on the VIN number, which allows you to take it to an MOT. Once the a UK MOT has been obtained, we then went to DVLA and got it registered on UK plates, and changed the insurance to its new number. I don’t know if the procedure has altered. If it is legal in Ireland could the vendor not drive it to a place where you intend to keep, or trailer it to the port, drive it on and off , and you collect it until you have it road ready, and proceed as above? It doesn’t need to be Taxed, Tested, or MOT, until you are ready to put it on the road.
Meter rat
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen Acadiane
Citroen BX 16 TGS
The moderns.
Skoda Superb
Citroen C1
The Motor Bike,
250 MZ

Post by Meter rat »

Sorry I should have added, to the above, you collect it on a trailer. A vehicle doesn’t need to be taxed, tested, or insured if it’s on a trailer, and stored off road. You can then fettle as required, until your ready to put it on the road. You may get away with insuring it on the VIN and driving it to a precooked MOT. Driving it from sat, Stranraer, to Lincolnshire, may be pushing a bit in the eyes of the law.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

I've still not heard from the vendor and tried to call the number, so for now its at a stalemate.