Chris' BX blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Chris' BX blog

Post by white exec »

Had better start one of these, which could be "on-going" (hopefully) :)

Yesterday saw the car getting its provisional Spanish plates, and getting fully insured...
DSCF3808.JPG
This morning, the first proper journey out on public roads, to meet with inspecting engineer (type approval, etc) pre- a full ITV (MoT) test in Malaga, hopefully shortly - and then regular plates.

Good to really drive one of these again, and after about 10km the suspension and steering started to loosen up. Fluid Citroens don't thrive on lack of use, do they? Although the LHM is decently clean, I think it would be a good idea to run the car on Hydraurinçage for a few months; luckily, I have 5L of it sitting here. The struts and rams can be a bit creaky when coming up, so a flush and a some regular use/Citrobics should help.

Really impressed with how the car takes the long raised pedestrian crossings here - infinitely better than the RAV4, and no possibility of a Hydractive thud if taken a bit fast! :-"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by white exec on Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Re: Chris' BX blog

Post by Dave_16v »

white exec wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:40 am

Really impressed with how the car takes the long raised pedestrian crossings here - infinitely better than the RAV4, and no possibility of a Hydractive thud if taken a bit fast! :-"
They are particularly good over obstacles like that, even the 16v can cruise over mild road humps where as standard car does not do so with as much ease.
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Car put on Hydraurinçage yesterday. Old (but still clean) LHM syringed out of the reservoir, and refilled with the rinse.
Pump promptly registered a protest by refusing to pump, and so needed a somewhat protracted and messy priming, via funnel and hose straight into the pump top inlet. For some odd reason (probably the lack of an assistant) priming via the intake hose at the reservoir end, and quickly reconnecting, didn't work. Several priming attempts resulted in the reservoir overflowing . . . but at least the metalwork under the reservoir won't be rusting any time soon. The pump was finally provoked into action by movement of the steering wheel, and standing very heavily on the brakes. Lessons learnt.

Bleeding at the four brake calipers produced no surprises - the clear H'cage came through at rear-right after just over half a litre had been bled off, much less at the other three. The old fluid bled at the front calipers was truly murky - two serious 'dead legs', probably dating back ages.

Good news was checking the rise and fall this morning, which was, surprisingly, quicker and smoother than before. Hydraurinçage doesn't normally work that quickly, so you wonder just how well the old LHM was lubricating the system.

Five new Michelins booked for Tuesday, and hopefully matriculation test (for final plates) in Málaga before Christmas.
Chris
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

The project seems to coming together at last.

What approval document was finally required to get the registration process moving?
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Finally, Mike, the Spanish importation office accepted that it was possible to purchase a vehicle from a business which was not VAT registered (or was VAT exempt, because of small turnover). Although such businesses exist in France, UK and some other countries, they are not recognised in Spain, where even the smallest one-man operation is expected to charge and collect VAT, even if they never claim back. As soon as they stopped insisting on a VAT sales invoice for the car, things got moving. I had to stand my ground on this, and keep my gestor's (accountant) nose to the grindstone.

Anyway, really welcome progress, at last! The importation/inspection/verification/temp.plating/full vehicle test/final documentation/final plating/first year's tax/gestor's fee will have cost around €820 . . . a tad different from bringing an EU car into the UK, I think.
Chris
xantia_v6
BXpert
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

white exec wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 pm Anyway, really welcome progress, at last! The importation/inspection/verification/temp.plating/full vehicle test/final documentation/final plating/first year's tax/gestor's fee will have cost around €820 . . . a tad different from bringing an EU car into the UK, I think.
Importing my Xantia from the UK into France in 2016 was about the same cost, not counting shipping via Malta (but that is another story).
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

My name is Amelia Fritton, and I claim the reward for the oldest BX spare tyre!

New tyres booked for tomorrow, so I have just pulled out the spare, and put it in the boot.
A Michelin X, but not a tread pattern I recognised, and still with its moulding whiskers.

Date code is (322) so pre-2000, when it went 4-digit.
Decodes as 3 Aug 1992 !

RP = 25 Sep 1992
so might well have the original air in the tyre... #-o
Chris
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Imagine the concourse points :D
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

Great stuff. Pretty sure my spare is also of that vintage 😂
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

white exec wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:23 pm My name is Amelia Fritton, and I claim the reward for the oldest BX spare tyre!

New tyres booked for tomorrow, so I have just pulled out the spare, and put it in the boot.
A Michelin X, but not a tread pattern I recognised, and still with its moulding whiskers.

Date code is (322) so pre-2000, when it went 4-digit.
Decodes as 3 Aug 1992 !

RP = 25 Sep 1992
so might well have the original air in the tyre... #-o
I see your 1992, and bump you a 1983! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

You definitely snatch the trophy with an '83 tyre! :)
Chris
xantia_v6
BXpert
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have an original spare wheel and tyre from a 1972 E-type Jag, but I suppose that it would not be within the rules for this competition?
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

xantia_v6 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:35 pm I have an original spare wheel and tyre from a 1972 E-type Jag, but I suppose that it would not be within the rules for this competition?
Dunlop SP sport Aquajet per chance?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Full ITV test (for final plating and documentation) appointment just came through for 16 December.
One step nearer! [-o<
Chris
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Few more jobs ticked off this morning, now that the wind has finally stopped blowing a 70km/h gale :shock:

Drive shafts
Has been some slight front left clonking when cornering under power. Wheel bearings show no slop, so have injected all four CV/UJ shaft joints with a good dose of molybdenum grease. Done via the small end of the gaiters, with a stiffish 5mm plastic tube attached to the grease gun. The small tube got right up against the gubbins, so hopefully it will have put the grease in a useful place.

Spheres
Since re-gassing the spheres on getting the car in October, the ride has been good, and better again for the new tyres. Now that the car is getting used several times a week, have noticed that the HPP has started a bit too much clicking, so checked the gas pressure on the Acc sphere: down to 15bar :( , which explains the lack of stored pressure. Now swapped for an ex-Xantia front hydractive 450cc centre, gassed to 62. I suspect the Valprex O-ring on the previous sphere, so I may still end up with spare yet.

The good news was checking the four corner spheres (pukka Citroen, came with the car), to find that all four were still at their proper pressures, two months after valving and regassing them. :)

Wipers
The full length wash bar continues to work well, and the variable wiper delay has been fitted (6-position rotary switch in the recessed panel). Proper, civilised wiping now!

Oomph...
Do have to wonder what grot the car had been running on in recent months - presumably supermarket cheapo, or worse. Was always necessary to use rather a lot of welly to get her moving briskly (OK, I know she's a NA), but a bit disappointing all the same, and not what I remember from our previous 19D.
So, 20L of decent Repsol diesel, a 1:200 remedial dose of diesel system cleaner/improver, and a little bit of brisk motorway driving, and things have looked up no end.
Have also moved the throttle cable to a more inboard slot on the injector pump lever, which has got rid of the unproductive travel on the gas pedal (no dead movement, just too much gentle progress).
Has made a real difference, and I surprised myself by quickly overtaking a couple cars on an uphill straight stretch during the week. I know our diesels like to be driven, and hard, and this one is no exception. I think it has spent rather a lot of recent life just pottering.
Last edited by white exec on Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris