Chris' BX blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
deltic
BXpert

Re: Chris' BX blog

Post by deltic »

Unless you're buying a new set try to get a matched pair if used. I've learnt to my cost from buying individually that they fade at different rates.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Will remember that - thanks.
Chris
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

yes they come in dark smoke, light smoke, blue tint, red tint, green tint......again ive made that mistake too!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Did a fuel calculation for the car today...

Over last 2774km (1734 mi) — 42.8mpg (6.6 L/100km).
That'll do for starters, and almost all on local urban and 2nd-3rd gear mountain roads.
10mpg better than the D4D. :)
Chris
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

white exec wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:45 pm Did a fuel calculation for the car today...

Over last 2774km (1734 mi) — 42.8mpg (6.6 L/100km).
That'll do for starters, and almost all on local urban and 2nd-3rd gear mountain roads.
10mpg better than the D4D. :)
The bx is a light car and fairly aerodynamic, I get over 40 out my 19GT if driven sensibly, the DTR runs on fresh air it seems

Which is a lot more than a modern Mini Petrol I did have did.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Spain & Portugal, 1996 _c.jpg
The 42.8 is pretty close to the 44 we used to get regularly from our 19RD back in the '90s in the UK. Towing a caravan all over Europe, it still returned 32. It is an extraordinarily good engine, with a lot of lugging power. Looking back (and in comparison to the huge torque available on the 2.5 XM), the NA 1905 BX never let us down when taking the caravan over Alps and Sierras. We did look after it, though, adding a second fan and an expansion tank. Interesting that the '92 Millesime - the RD was '89 - came with twin fans as standard, with essentially the same engine, but maybe because it has A/C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by white exec on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

white exec wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:39 pm The 42.8 is pretty close to the 44 we used to get regularly from our 19RD back in the '90s in the UK. Towing a caravan all over Europe, it still returned 32. It is an extraordinarily good engine, with a lot of lugging power. Looking back (and in comparison to the huge torque available on the 2.5 XM), the NA 1905 BX never let us down when taking the caravan over Alps and Sierras. We did look after it, though, adding a second fan and an expansion tank. Interesting that the '92 Millesime - the RD was '89 - came with twin fans as standard, with essentially the same engine, but maybe because it has A/C.
yes A/C cars had twin fans.

Amazing what a good service can do for a car, blocked filters and old oil and plugs does affect the running.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Some improvements to the original cabin lighting completed now. Found the pillar lights a bit unexciting, and the swivel map-reading light at the front (no sunroof on this one) only candle-power.

Map reading light at the front was simply cleaned up, and fitted with a 36mm warm white festoon LED. Found one that threw all its light in one direction, which was just the job:
DSCF3858r.jpg
LED from the MAXGTRS shop on AliExpress...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297585 ... 4c4dHPuD51
DSCF3845.JPG
Light in the driver's or passenger's lap is now transformed.
A new front overhead light
The original door pillar lights were never very good at providing general front seat lighting, and so one of these was fitted:
DSCF3843.JPG
Still current PSA part number is 6362K9, and that can be found through google, and available as an aftermarket replacement from dozens of sources, including Amazon. It was fitted to many Cit/Peu vehicles.
6362K9.jpg
Convenient 3-way switching. I wired it into the system at one of the pillar lights. Retained the W5W capless tungsten bulb. Space for it was the now-disused I.R. central locking module, which was simply unplugged and removed. The new fitting was inserted into the finisher cover.
Pillar lights
DSCF3856.JPG
The pillar lights were simply fitted with some 36mm warm white festoons. These did the job, and were nicely brighter (and less yellow) than the original 7W tungstens:
DSCF3861r.jpg
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3257368 ... 4c4dHPuD51
The same festoon LED has been put into the boot and glove compartment fittings.
Lastly, for the rear seat, a pair of over-door light fittings were added:
DSCF3855.JPG
These were acquired ex-XM/605, and came complete with the original grab-handles they were fitted into. I had toyed with the idea of fitting the grab-handles too, but they were too large to let into the headlining and the space behind, and would also have not been in the right place. In the end, I discarded the XM/605 grab-handle surrounds, and just used the clip-in light fittings themselves.
DSCF3849r.jpg
The new fittings have two W5W tungsten bulbs (which were retained) - one for general illumination, the other (with its own switch) for reading. The wiring was again taken to the B-pillar light.
A narrow rectangular cut-out was made in the headlining, and in part of the steel strip behind.

Lastly, the original pillar lights were disconnected from the 'doors open' ground line, so that they no longer come on automatically when a door is opened, but can still be switched on by the original switch. When doors do open, the new front overhead light and the new rear seat lights come on instead, operated from the same timer-ground connection at the pillar lights.

A switch was added to the central console (near the handbrake), so that the interior lights could be turned on without opening a door, and also shut off (cabin lights killed) for working on the car with doors open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

Nice work! 😎
1991 Citroen BX 16v
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

I'm surprised and rather pleased that the gearbox whine (in 5th, at 100-110km/h, 62-68mph) has almost disappeared now. Only a tad remains, but only faintly at full throttle.

All the 'box has had is a refill with 75W-80 GL-4, and then the 125ml dose of Forte Gear & Diff Treatment. The whine lessened noticeably after the Forte was added, but has just continued to quieten. The other thing the car has had is a good bit of motorway driving at that speed, as well as general journeys - about 2000km since the additive went in.

Wonder whether there might have been a small scuff/ding on one of the gears, which has just smoothed off with loading and use? All other engine bay sounds remain the same.
Chris
Pcheaven
BXpert
My Cars: Landrover discovery sport 2020
Previously ipace/discovery 5/velar and many others including 2 bx gti back in early 1990

Post by Pcheaven »

white exec wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:49 am Some improvements to the original cabin lighting completed now. Found the pillar lights a bit unexciting, and the swivel map-reading light at the front (no sunroof on this one) only candle-power.

Map reading light at the front was simply cleaned up, and fitted with a 36mm warm white festoon LED. Found one that threw all its light in one direction, which was just the job:
LED from the MAXGTRS shop on AliExpress...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297585 ... 4c4dHPuD51
Light in the driver's or passenger's lap is now transformed.
A new front overhead light
The original door pillar lights were never very good at providing general front seat lighting, and so one of these was fitted:
Still current PSA part number is 6362K9, and that can be found through google, and available as an aftermarket replacement from dozens of sources, including Amazon. It was fitted to many Cit/Peu vehicles.
Convenient 3-way switching. I wired it into the system at one of the pillar lights. Retained the W5W capless tungsten bulb. Space for it was the now-disused I.R. central locking module, which was simply unplugged and removed. The new fitting was inserted into the finisher cover.
Pillar lights
The pillar lights were simply fitted with some 36mm warm white festoons. These did the job, and were nicely brighter (and less yellow) than the original 7W tungstens:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3257368 ... 4c4dHPuD51
The same festoon LED has been put into the boot and glove compartment fittings.
Lastly, for the rear seat, a pair of over-door light fittings were added:
These were acquired ex-XM/605, and came complete with the original grab-handles they were fitted into. I had toyed with the idea of fitting the grab-handles too, but they were too large to let into the headlining and the space behind, and would also have not been in the right place. In the end, I discarded the XM/605 grab-handle surrounds, and just used the clip-in light fittings themselves.
The new fittings have two W5W tungsten bulbs (which were retained) - one for general illumination, the other (with its own switch) for reading. The wiring was again taken to the B-pillar light.
A narrow rectangular cut-out was made in the headlining, and in part of the steel strip behind.

Lastly, the original pillar lights were disconnected from the 'doors open' ground line, so that they no longer come on automatically when a door is opened, but can still be switched on by the original switch. When doors do open, the new front overhead light and the new rear seat lights come on instead, operated from the same timer-ground connection at the pillar lights.

A switch was added to the central console (near the handbrake), so that the interior lights could be turned on without opening a door, and also shut off (cabin lights killed) for working on the car with doors open.
I really like these improvements. :)

Its on my list to review all the internal lighting - such as it is, largely because the `b pillar lights rattle quite a bit, so if I have them out together with the trim to apply anti rattle tape, I might as well up the brightness. I will probably rewire the radio and the cigarette lighter to be ignition live only, and not a perm 12V
BX Meteor. Sub 20000 miles. Very Original.

ToDo list.

1. ?G?e?t? ?c?a?m? ?b?e?t? ?e?t?c? ?r?e?p?l?a?c?e?d? ?e?t?c?
Have a GnT
2. G?e?t? ?t?h?e? ?r?a?d?i?o? ?t?o? ?w?o?r?k?.? ?
Have a GnT
3. Adjust the clutch
Have a GnT
4. Clean LHM tank then a complete flush
Have a GnT
5. Wash, clay bar then ceramic coat paintwork.
Have a GnT
6. Replace rear spheres
Have a GnT
7. Replace bottom hose
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

On ours, the IGN switch "Acc" position is pretty much non-existent, so a radio-on via IGN sw could involve many of the IGN-on functions (eg all the instrument panel warning lights) being on. This was the problem I hit here; yours might be different.

One way round it is to fit a c/o switch, that allows radio (and maybe cigar socket too) to be EITHER via IGN sw or Perm Live.
This is what we've done for the radio.
Chris
Pcheaven
BXpert
My Cars: Landrover discovery sport 2020
Previously ipace/discovery 5/velar and many others including 2 bx gti back in early 1990

Post by Pcheaven »

So long as it comes on when engine running and goes off when the key is out. I am happy. Will play with it

( I have a CarPlay screen I use for navigation, music and hands free calls. Plugged into cigarette lighter. It’s a pain unplugging it and turning radio off when you remove the keys )
BX Meteor. Sub 20000 miles. Very Original.

ToDo list.

1. ?G?e?t? ?c?a?m? ?b?e?t? ?e?t?c? ?r?e?p?l?a?c?e?d? ?e?t?c?
Have a GnT
2. G?e?t? ?t?h?e? ?r?a?d?i?o? ?t?o? ?w?o?r?k?.? ?
Have a GnT
3. Adjust the clutch
Have a GnT
4. Clean LHM tank then a complete flush
Have a GnT
5. Wash, clay bar then ceramic coat paintwork.
Have a GnT
6. Replace rear spheres
Have a GnT
7. Replace bottom hose
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Speaking of accesory sockets-I don't know which models have these, in the back end of the centre console (on a t/d) there are 2 sockets
Power supply or headphones?
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Do you mean the 2 1/4 inch jack sockets for headphones presumably for the rear passengers. Has anyone ever used them when they can't control the volume or the content. Rather odd.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.