Grade of petrol

BX Tech talk
Kieron g
My Cars: 2001 Citroën berlingo multispace 1.9d
2000 Citroën berlingo multispace 1.8i
1988 Citroen BX 1.6 RS (sun seeker)

Grade of petrol

Post by Kieron g »

Could anyone who runs a petrol BX advise if is best / ok to run on standard unleaded or standard unleaded with an additive or super unleaded please?
Reason I ask is because a few years ago i had head off a 1.8 petrol berlingo at 100,000 and there was a fair amount of pitting on valve seats, it ground out ok but obviously would like to avoid this. My BX is a 1.6 on F plate if that makes any difference.
Thanks
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Re: Grade of petrol

Post by panky »

I normally run on E5 as super unleaded is sparse around here. I use Millers VSPe Power Plus additive to help counteract the effects of ethanol and it has an octane booster - but I also make sure the flexible fuel pipes are ethanol resistant. I was a bit desperate on the last fill up and had to get E10 but the GT runs fine with it. Others, I'm sure, will have different ideas but it works for me.
Image Image Image Image
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yes me too. I run on E5 with occasional topups of E10 and it runs fine on either. Its just that we don't know how much evil the ethanol will do to the rubber parts in the fuel system.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Kieron g
My Cars: 2001 Citroën berlingo multispace 1.9d
2000 Citroën berlingo multispace 1.8i
1988 Citroen BX 1.6 RS (sun seeker)

Post by Kieron g »

Thanks for reply . I can get super unleaded where I live here so I'll go with that