BX 19TZS Auto question.

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

:idea: Sleepy, so that we can compare notes with a non-GTi 1900, can you tell us what your TZS on smooth driving makes the change up from 3 to 4 and then down from 4 to 3 in terms of MPH :?:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I can try my 16TRS auto too if it ever becomes roadworthy!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I dont know yet it is not taxed and tested and i have only driven it a mile home.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Alan, your 60 kph equates to 37.5 mph which is the drop out point. So I take it you have to go illegal to make the up change and then it drops back out again like ours when you cruise at the speed limit. :?: It stays in when cruising at a steady 40 mph (after a 42 mph burst) but when other drivers slow you slightly below the limit then you lose it! :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

To be honest, I've never gone to the trouble of an exact speed conversion, just a rough one (ie) 60 kph = 6.0 X 6 = 36mph....70kph being 7.0 X 6 = 42mph so 35 & 40 respectively were the figures we've worked on which explains the discrepancy.
Other nasty symptoms we get which is possibly a combination of heat and use of incorrect fluid is hanging on in top gear which can at times also stall the engine just as driving a manual without dipping the clutch when you stop will, yet top is the only gear it will stick in. This was another symptom that was partially adjusted out of the system via the kickdown.
When you get right into these things, you find that kickdown adjustment is the most critical of them all and controls more than just the kickdown. Once sorted and using the third gear in rrestricted speed zones makes them a dream to drive.
Speaking of heat, I sent Jon a pic of the thermometer in my Xantia taken on that trip a couple of months back that hopefully he might downsize and post one day out of interests sake. If nothing else, it helps clarify the problems we can have with it on some mechanicals and plastics. :shock: :roll:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

AlanS wrote:To be honest, I've never gone to the trouble of an exact speed conversion, just a rough one (ie) 60 kph = 6.0 X 6 = 36mph....70kph being 7.0 X 6 = 42mph so 35 & 40 respectively were the figures we've worked on which explains the discrepancy.
Alan S
Best quick way way is to multiply by 5 and divide by 8 for you. To go mph to kph its multiply by 8 and divide by 5.
So 42 mph is 67.2 kph and 38 mph is 60.8 kph.

Incidentally in the Citroen write up it says that in 4th that the torque converter is totally bypassed. Presumably that means that it should feel connected like a manual as long as you are in 4th.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Way2go wrote:
Incidentally in the Citroen write up it says that in 4th that the torque converter is totally bypassed. Presumably that means that it should feel connected like a manual as long as you are in 4th.
Yep, the converter locks up in 4th and it feels and performs just like a manual, trouble seems to be it has a bad memory and forgets to push the clutch in. :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Alan S :wink:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.