Cheap TZD (eBay, Peterborough). Kitch, might interest you?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Kitch, check your PM's
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
1991 TZD Turbo (Breaking)
"Graculus" 1990 TGD Turbo (Restoring)
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

I got it chaps and she is very tidy, needs a few cosmetics and perhaps some heater fan motor bush's, can't tell if the aircon is working because the fan isn't!!!!!!!! 2 litres of fluid and she lifted with no effort or creaking, driven 120 miles home and no problems at all, slight whine from the gearbox but no physical gremlins. Pulls very well and I am onr happy chappy with the car i've always wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pictures to follow.
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

Go that man
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Well done Adam! glad its gone to soemone who will love it!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Excellent! It is always good to hear that such cars as these fall into caring hands. Regarding fans and aircon, be assured that if the aircon was working, the car wouldn't be up on Ebay; it would be on matey's forecourt with Aircon splashed all over the windscreen. You are inevitably in for some work here, as I'm sure that you are aware. Fortunately, converting to R134a isn't brain surgery and can be done for about £100, assuming that you do the work yourself. First get the fans working. I don't know if you mean the engine or cabin fans but the latter are well covered here with a bit of searching. Once you have ventilation, you will need to assess the aircon rig. It is by no means unusual to find that the condenser, (the radiator in front of the radiator,) is broken and replacement is the only cure so you'll need to put a vacuum on the system before going any further and finding out if the system is still sealed. The clutch on the compresser will pull in if there is pressure in the system. If selecting aircon at idle doesn't cause it to slam in with a good click,(you'll see the end part rotating,) then there is 99% certainlty that there is no pressure in the rig so don't go pulling things apart to diagnose any percieved electronics problems! Good luck; I'm always around to PM on aircon questions.
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Thanks Tom,
They didn't know it had aircon or just needed fluid until after they signed it over to me, they did actually say it wouldn't have been as cheap if they'd realised. I found the hydraulics leak, is actually an overflow and I put too much fluid in to get her to rise, it seems to have stopped now though, i'm gonna spend a weekend doing all the jobs at once, brake discs and pads all round, rear spheres, possibly the accumulator, heater fan, full flushes of every system and then the heater fan, then i'll be checking the aircon, a few cosmetic touch ups and she'll be brand new. I'll post some pictures of the before and after.

Thanks again

Adam
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Well done Adam, make sure you have someone on hand to bring you food and water, when I get stuck into jobs on cars I normally go allday then wonder why im dizzy, ahh its maybe I havent eaten or drank a thing today :shock:
Last edited by tim leech on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

I know what you mean, I always remeber dreading working on my old one and when I started I loved it, my mate with the Alfa is kindly giving me use of his double garage for a few days, his brother in-law is a sprayer/bodyshop worker and is gonna do the cosmetics for me. I've sold the TGD to my mum so have enough funds to buy everything in one hit. I'm really looking forward to it and I dare say they'll be a few technical posts flying around that weekend :D
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Top man and you have a mum as a fan too, my mums always liked Bxs too but I can persuade her to swop her new car with its aircon parking sensors and electric everything for one. Shame as theres 3 in our household to choose from, 2 of which are at her house! :shock:
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Yeah, she had a 17 DTR Turbo but currently drive a 19 n/a ZX, I told her she own a cult classic and she said she'd love another one, it really helped me out because I've all of a sudden found myself with 3 citroens!!! :shock: Not really sure how that happened!!!! :? Don't suppose you want a '96 ZX 19TD SX, 89k? :D
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I can't have anymore cars, im not allowed :oops: Im tryingto downsize not add to, Zx's arent my thing but thanks, if its got chevrons on the front it has to be hydraulic in my house! :D
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

I completely agree, I don't know how Citroen get it so right and then soooooooooooooooooooooo wrong. It really doesn't make sense??? :?
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

C6 shows they are going back to there roots. Not making rebodied peugeots for a change!
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Just checked and as far as my limited knowledge tells me the aircon appears working!!!!!!!!!! When the slider is operated I get what sounds like a fan kicking in and very cool air blowing up from between the 2 rads, is this right?
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Measure the temperature from the two heater vents in the middle of the dash with controls set as follows. Temp- full cold
fan, full on, distribution face cold air should rush out to greet you. If it does, you get the jammy bugger of the year award! To try the fan, there is one thing you can do quickly. remove the top panel with the fan controls in it and earth the third terminal on the PCB. If fans run, pop out the glovebox and identify the five way connector from the control board. Be sure it is this one, unplug if you have ot. Cut the two brown wires , strip back the connector end and join them together adding a length of stout wire. Pull off the black plastic plug at the back of the oddments box between the front of the seats and earth the fan by placing the other end of this wire under the 10mm screw that will be revealed. For some reason, the control board earth fails and this is a sovereign remedy. I've done it to at least three cars so far!