Head Gasket or New Rad???

BX Tech talk
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Agreed Tom,

I did the test with 150psi, I know it does not come near to the combustion pressures, but it sure did pin point one of my previous problems...

If the head has to come off, and there is no obvious reason with the head, then pay particular attention to the block.

Minute hairline cracks, "bright light and mag glass required", also gently rub a well oiled new "fine side" oil stone over the block surface, and look for swelling around the bolt holes.
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Right chaps, i'm not a car mechanic but have a sound mechanical knowledge (bottom hose has been changed), I can't actually bleed the sytem because whatever the gas is, it is being compressed into the coolant, the coolant doesn't have air pockets, it is fizzing. I've got a quote for the welding and have decided that i'm going to keep the car. get the welding done and sort the rest but at my leisure. I have good friends in the car mechanics trade who I know would not lead me astray who have confirmed my head diagnostics but also have advised that it might not be the gasket but the head or even block itself. :shock: :D :shock:

The car is too good to just break and now i've decided to use this as my project and keep the ZX for my 'work' car, i'm a lot more comfortable with the situation.

If I need to hunt around or wait for the right head or even whole engine then I will. I really appreciate all the help and advise i'm receiving and have logged all of the test that everyone has suggested for future reference.

THIS CAR WILL BE SAVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
1991 TZD Turbo (Breaking)
"Graculus" 1990 TGD Turbo (Restoring)
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Tom, sometimes after a minute of running it's fine, other times it blows it everywhere. :? :? I'm going to investigate. I'll change all the hoses(this isn't a bad thing to do anyway!) I'm also going to find another TD engine to become familiar with and maybe transplant. Then fix up the existing one as a spare or to donate to a suitable project. Today there wasn't any bubbles in the expansion tank but fizzing like a ba%*ard from the thermostat bleed valve and top rad bleed point!!!! :? :?

Anyway, it's been doing my swead in for ages and i'm gonna just progress at my leisure and get it all sorted!!!

Thanks again guys :D :D
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Adam wrote: THIS CAR WILL BE SAVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good time in the pub last night Adam? :D

Glad to hear you've decided to save it.

O
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Oscar wrote:
Good time in the pub last night Adam? :D
:? :? :? :shock: :? :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :? :shock: :lol: :lol: 8)
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Thnks very much, i've got loads of work on at the moment so it's going to take time but I think it'll be worth it in the long run. I keep you posted. :D
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

If you want a whole 1.7TD engine its yours for free. Can't vouch for its condition tho'. Look in for sale/wanted - it's listed in there