Pheonix from the flames? The TD Auto rebuild (in colour!!)

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Indeed it is mate! The only one....

Cheers
chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

doc, have to say a splendid job ! but a couple of questions for you
i notice in the picture of the gear shift your numbers are on the left but mine are on the right, or is this a photography thing?
also i was going to post ref retro fitting a rev counter so do i assume that wiring is already in place and all that is required is a bracket to hold the sensor?
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Smashing, good, an extra dial to watch. The fuel gauge was accurate above half full but below that used to read anywhere between half and zero, the reserve light never came on and it was guesswork to say the least.
Thank you mate.Result.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citroen7 wrote: i notice in the picture of the gear shift your numbers are on the left but mine are on the right, or is this a photography thing?
That's interesting 'cos I posted before in the thread:
Way2go wrote:The reference & photo about the gearstick also reminded me that Citroen never handed this item so the stick itself obscures the indication. (Got used to mine now so had vitually forgotten it until the photo reminder). :D
So it seems from what you say that Citroen eventually did produce some the right way round for the RHD BX's? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

citroen7 wrote:doc, have to say a splendid job ! but a couple of questions for you
i notice in the picture of the gear shift your numbers are on the left but mine are on the right, or is this a photography thing?
also i was going to post ref retro fitting a rev counter so do i assume that wiring is already in place and all that is required is a bracket to hold the sensor?
They were all on the left of the stick so yours has been modded at some point mate. I'm going to take the stick apart again but I reckon it's a simple job of turning the cover the other way round and obviousley turning the indicator the other way up. I'll have a look tomorrow, doubt it'll bother dad but it's got me thinking now.... :roll:

As for the rev counter, seems to be dependant on spec!
My RD had NO wiring in it at all for the rev counter and we had to make a complete loom for it, but in dad's car all the wiring was under the dash, pluged in and had power but there was no plug under the bonnet! There is now!
Manual gearbox cars had the sensor down the back of the engine which was triggered from the slots in the back of the flywheel but on the automatics such slots in the flexi plate dont exist. The flexiplate in this car is for a Xantia auto so has two cut outs in the edge of the flexi hence the TDC sensor has to sit in the top of the bell housing I know I have a proper bracket for this hole but do you think I can find it........!

So I'll make up a bracket to clamp the sensor tomorrow and hey presto, the only diesel auto with rex counter that I'm aware of!

Gauges are brill!

If you have a car with no wiring for a rev counter it is really easy to install it all....

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

docchevron1472 wrote:I'm going to take the stick apart again but I reckon it's a simple job of turning the cover the other way round and obviousley turning the indicator the other way up. I'll have a look tomorrow, doubt it'll bother dad but it's got me thinking now.... :roll:
There is illumination too so not so straightforward IIRC from the last time I played with this to get the light to work.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

The lights the easy bit! It just plugs in to the cover. The wiring loom to it is crap and "free floating", would take just seconds to move the loom (all two wires of it!) to the other side of the tunnel.

I'll post some piccies tomorrow if sucessful....... :D

Cheers

Chris G

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I remember the bulbholder was crap 'cos I bought a new bulb which didn't cure it and then had to "adjust" the holder. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Yeah, it's the usual citroen cheap nasty rubbish!

Sorry, but cit wiring / fitments are poor quality!

Cheers

chris G

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Mirror fixings too - original screen but mirror has come off when driving tonight. Hate these glass fixes! :evil:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I still remember the good old days when rear view mirrors were attached to the roof! I can understand why in this health and safety environment we live in they are glued to the screen, but agreed, you'd have thought since we can send man to the moon, surley we can invent a glue that will stick to glass!!!!

Cheers
chris G

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

The last time I had a screen fixed professionally on another car they fitted the mirror using epoxy that was irradiated with a UV lamp through the screen to cure it! Suppose I shall have to resort to some superglue Gel. :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Considered friction welding?!?!?!?!?

I am!

Cheers
Chris G

Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Gear stick.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi all. You are quite right Chris when you said it wouldnt 'worry' me, I accepted it as a citroen thing much the same as some cars have the wipers the wrong side (LH drive ) and the maker finds it not economical to change for the few RH drive markets. What really did p*ss me off was that the illumination never worked for more than a day at a time.
How many different brackets were their for the rev counter, about 36 or so if I remember and I think that you had got to number 33 at the last count.
Time to get the steering wheel straight !!! I know it used to get to you something wrotten.
Cheers mate.
Geoff
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Very little progress today :(

I had a look at modding the gear selector but the covers all heat glued together and I'm certain I'll break it if I attempt to dismantle it so it stays as is!
If I can find another cover I'll pull that apart!
Spent some time cleaning the door cards and seats (all of which are now fitted (along with parcel shelf), cars looking great now but the battery died on my phone so no piccies I'm safraid! :roll:

The bracket for the TDC sensor is half made but I ran out of light before I finished it...

I'm getting in a right pickle with the wiring though...
The stereo still doesn't work, and although I've got all the other gauges working the oil pressure gauge is dead I think the easiest solution is to pull the binicle out of my valver and and trace the wiring from that!

The ZX runaround is in for MOT weds so if all goes well with that then I can get stuck into the BX again full bore!

So close......

Cheers
Chris G