GTI 8V : where's the water temperature sensor ?

BX Tech talk
cauchoiskev
BXpert

GTI 8V : where's the water temperature sensor ?

Post by cauchoiskev »

Found a GTI (8V) at the scrappers today and pulled off the instrument panel to put a water temperature gauge on my diesel. Couldn't find the bl***y sensor, though. No help from Haynes, who only mention the 16V.

Is it in the same place as on the 16V (rear left side of the cylinder block) ? Do you have to pull anything else off to get at it ? Thanks in advance...
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

From memory its on the end of the cylinder head near where the top hose connects, in a kind of alloy plate/housing, but its been a long time since I took some out.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Its on the water housing at the LH end of the head. On the underside right at the back there are two senders, you want the smaller of the two. The other one is the overheat warning.
Not easy to get at !!
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Many thanks, gents. I'll give it another crack this week.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Yes, definitely the underside - a little awkward compared to the diesels but be prepared for the gush. It's more or less behind the the distributor AFAIR (if there is such a thing on a GTi).
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.