Red BX 17 TZD Estate to go?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You never noticed then. I bought another rad on ebay this week. A new TD one from M&M of Holmfirth, cost me all of £19.01p they've even arranged for me to collect it from Citroen Wakefield.

Just need a car now to fit it in. :?
They think it's all over, it is now!
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Any pics of the red estate?

Not that I'm really interested, but I am curious.

Could one fit a 16v lump in an estate?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Could one fit a 16v lump in an estate?

If you really wanted to I'm sure you could but you would probably have to get funky with the wiring loom. ](*,)
Anyway time for dreaming has come to a close as reality sets in. Someone who lives a little closer (a mere 50m in Falkirk) got his son to come over and check it out and it seems the old girl has found a new home. \:D/
Thanks for all your interest. Good to know there are people out there who are willing to think outside the disposable society box. !!!---)))
Speaking of which this is a newspaper I contribute to regulary and my wife edits the health page of the print version www.theepochtimes.com
Enjoy,
All the best
Stefan

Life after BX? I'm about to find out ----^

PS I shall watch this post for a short while for any other enquiries. S/
Is there life after BX?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Stefan would you inform thsi chap of the club please, if ghe needs a new head for it this is the place!
Martyn
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Martyn »

I'm already in the club!(though it may only be a beer-belly) and yes, I need a head, please.
1992 txd

1991 1.7 tzd
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ahh a man after my own heart, my entusiasm is far outweighted by my mechanical skills! Your in good company
Martyn
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Martyn »

I hate to appear ignorant , but where do I find a multi-layer steel-laminate gasket for the head? Any sources of parts or, more importantly, advice, appreciated
1992 txd

1991 1.7 tzd
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

mott999 wrote:I hate to appear ignorant , but where do I find a multi-layer steel-laminate gasket for the head? Any sources of parts or, more importantly, advice, appreciated
Welcome along mate!

Steel gaskets are available pretty much anywhere (GSF do them) but unless the block and the head are PERFECTLEY flat it'll blow like a, er, well, something that blows! (monica lewinski perhaps :wink: )

If the head has any milling maeks in it go for a standard gasket...

I'm being a bit slow here maybe but is the car a turbo?

GSF also do headsets and bolts, cambelts etc at very reasonable cost.

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Martyn
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Martyn »

Yes, it's a turbo. Which milling marks are you referring to? or will that become obvious when I get head off? Is there not a system of notches as a guide and should I follow them with a skimmed head? Sorry to appear stupid, but I want to get it right.
1992 txd

1991 1.7 tzd
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Ken,

Now I know who pipped me at the post on the rad..

Cheers
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

mott999 wrote:Yes, it's a turbo. Which milling marks are you referring to? or will that become obvious when I get head off? Is there not a system of notches as a guide and should I follow them with a skimmed head? Sorry to appear stupid, but I want to get it right.
Right oh, if the heads never been off before you should notice that the mating face of it (the bit that sits on the gasket) is completley smooth (ok, it'll be covered in cr@p but under that it'll be smooth).
When you get it skimmed (I would also have the head chemically cleaned and have the valve's re cut and shimmed, probably bout £60 round here at a decent machine shop) alot of machine shops use old or blunt stones to "key" the head as it's supposed to grip the gasket better. When you get the head look at the surface vey carefully, is it completley smooth or are there lots of semi circular fine ridges in it? If there are any ridges dont use the multi-layer metal gasket, it will blow!
If the machine shops any good and you specify you want it "FLAT and SMOOTH" they will do it that way!

I usually go for a number "3" head gasket if the heads been skimmed (the thickest gasket), done god knows how many this way without any problems.

Sorry if this is confusing (it sounded ok in my head!?!?!),
if you need any clarification I'll try and re-write it!

I take it, it's just the head gasket thats failed?? Not a cracked head or block?

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Martyn
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Martyn »

Head gasket definitely gone. Would a crack in head not be obvious? i'm whipping (if thats the word for my painfully slow efforts) the head off at weekend; hope to skim next week. The glovebox lid is away, if anyone has got a spare could they let me know, please? Thanks, Martyn
1992 txd

1991 1.7 tzd
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Heads can crack without you knowing it. I was surprised to be told mine had gone on my TD when the gasket blew between 2 cylinders (no gas in water, just a sudden enormous loss of power!)

In general heads can crack around the valve seats or between them, or just generally. Some on BX's are barely noticeable in that they leak when cold but seal as soon as the engine fires.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

mott999 wrote:Head gasket definitely gone. Would a crack in head not be obvious? i'm whipping (if thats the word for my painfully slow efforts) the head off at weekend; hope to skim next week. The glovebox lid is away, if anyone has got a spare could they let me know, please? Thanks, Martyn
Check the gasket once the heads off. you can usually see evidence of blowing on the gasket.
Make sure you use a decent machine shop, these heads have a limit to how much you can skim off them!

Your glovebox will be black oui?
Fraid my last spare black glove box went to a new home the other week, but I do have grey if thats any use at all (probably not!)

Cheers
Chris G

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Chris, I think someone mentioned on here very recently that glove boxes can be sprayed up very easily.
Vauxhall apologist.