Please I need help before I ruin my car!!

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Please I need help before I ruin my car!!

Post by Way2go »

thanuttiscotsman wrote:
Kingswell wrote: Suspension problem - ! It seems to me that its been cut a bit short. I don't know if its the same story on the other side. Is this the mechanic's doing?
probally. most normal garages (non citroen) totally fu*k up all hydraulic repairs. ive got mine back before with no power steering after they changed a pipe, seems they plummed the new pipe up wrong.

rossco
The problem sounds more like the rubber strut return pipes which flex with the suspension movement & ultimately break naturally with age. They are available from GSF at modest cost. The 2 pipes fit easily but you will have some fun fitting the manifold cup end to the strut, however I am told it can be done more easily with a pair of carpenters pincers.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

I got the car back today. Mister Mechanic said that
he cleaned the carburettor properly (better than I had apparently). Also by some strange twist of fate, my new height corrector also arrived whilst he had the car ( no more leaking LHM hopefully)! After he cleaned the carb he got the call. He used my car to go get it and didn't have any trouble with the engine. He fitted it for me and also cleaned my wheel arches. I managed to drive the car home with no choke and no knocking or cutting out, it was smooth!

Now I'm not going to get too excited just yet, the problem might return so I'm going to give it a few days. However tomorrow I'm gonna go congratulate the man and ask him how he cleaned the carb so that I'll know how do it myself one day and also to show him the torn front strut return pipes.

If it keeps on running this well I am going to be so happy :D :D :D Because I can now start dealing with the bodywork.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Just follow what I suggested earlier about fitting the filters (2 - one before and one after the fuel pump) and it will be a permanent fix. If you don't, you'll possibly be back where you started within a week.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

Re: Please I need help before I ruin my car!!

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

Way2go wrote:
thanuttiscotsman wrote:
Kingswell wrote: Suspension problem - ! It seems to me that its been cut a bit short. I don't know if its the same story on the other side. Is this the mechanic's doing?
probally. most normal garages (non citroen) totally fu*k up all hydraulic repairs. ive got mine back before with no power steering after they changed a pipe, seems they plummed the new pipe up wrong.

rossco
The problem sounds more like the rubber strut return pipes which flex with the suspension movement & ultimately break naturally with age. They are available from GSF at modest cost. The 2 pipes fit easily but you will have some fun fitting the manifold cup end to the strut, however I am told it can be done more easily with a pair of carpenters pincers.

he has already had them replaced!! now there a prob since.!! hehe :wink:

kingswell,
your mechanic probally stripped the carb down cleaned it put it back on then adjusted the fuel mixture!! thats my bet!! would be keen to find out if im right or not. just running redex etc through the car does clean it a bit but doesnt always solve every problem.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

Shame, knocking returned today. :( . I had a theory whilst I was sat there figuring out what was wrong.
I pulled the fuel line off the carb and put it in an empty bottle of water. I started the car and the fuel was coming out nice and strong. However, when I put my foot on the gas it slowed down and nearly stopped!.
Meaning that the fuel pump is circling the drain. It would certainly explain the symptoms and the randomness of the attacks. I managed to drive to the mechanic. He took a look at it and tended to agree with me. He's going to buy and fit a new one for me, hopefully by tomorrow.

If THIS works, I ' ll be a happy camper. On a slighlty more positive note the suspension is great, no leaking! :D
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

cooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllll 8)
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

Havent updated this in a while. The fuel pump helped but didnt eliminate the problem. So we changed the carb needle and removed the fuel tank, then we found the source of the problem.
In between the pump and the carb there is a T-piece which sends some of the fuel to carb to be used and some back to the tank. Normally this is made of metal, however the old one had corroded a long time ago and was replaced with a plastic one. The problem with this is that the line leading back to the tank widened with time to a point where more fuel was sent back to the tank then to the engine so the engine wouldn't get enough fuel especially after going uphill. To fix it, we placed a small metal tube in the plastic t-piece which narrowed the flow to the tank considerably.

This seems to have worked since I have driven the car a lot without any of its previous problems for the past couple of days. One thing I have noticed though is that there is a metallic vibration somewhere in the engine bay or on the undercarraige. It is nt constant, it sounds like something needs tightening. Next job is to re-build the struts.
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Kingswell wrote:One thing I have noticed though is that there is a metallic vibration somewhere in the engine bay or on the undercarraige. It is nt constant, it sounds like something needs tightening.
Are you sure this isn't "pinking" given that you had fuel related problems and now may need to adjust the timing?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

Oh that could be a problem, how can I tell if it is that? What should I do if it is?
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

To make it pink - stick it in 4th gear at 10 MPH and accelerate hard - should chatter away then.
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll try it tomorrow. What should i do if it does pink?
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Kingswell wrote:Oh that could be a problem, how can I tell if it is that? What should I do if it is?
It's a metallic tinkling noise predominantly when you accelerate. If it is, you normally need to retard the ignition slightly. I havent had carb BX's but presumably this is done by rotating the distributor body. Other BX carb owners will be able to advise you better here.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

hi there,
the description i would use to describe pinking best is your engine will give a strange diesely engine/grinding gearbox sound with the knocking!! i wouldnt think the problem is this personally. these cars are well known for having knocking noises its common and somtimes people never get to the bottom of whats making the noise. i would imadgine it is the exhaust or something. exhausts knocking are very good a hiding themselves as they often create the illusion that the noise is coming from defferent parts of the car at different times as it travels the length of the car and it hits solid structure so sometimes you feel it in your feet.

rossco
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

I think its time to describe the sound a bit better. It happens at any random time when accelerating. At both low and high speeds. It isn't that loud at all and the engine works fine despite it. It feels like a metallic scraping almost as if somethings dragging on the ground ( it isnt of course I checked ). Another thing to keep in mind is that the fuel tank was removed and maybe something wasn't tightened properly. The first time I noticed it I swore I could hear it coming from the back of the car but now I think its coming from the front.
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

hi there,
well from reading your last post firstly i would have said check the tanks straps/bolts first but going by your description i would say its almost 100 percent likely to be the exhaust!! read my last post i made before this one!!!! :? i described exhaust problems exactly the way you just did. get under and looking carefully work your way along
the exhaust and look for any part of it that is within 1 inch of anything else. in general thats about how much travel/free movement the exhaust has. and if there is any part that close then its probally the culprit thats making the sounds. pay particular attention to the rear end where the cross box is and the back box.

cheers rossco :wink: