bx gti turbo diesel breaking

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

MULLEY wrote:However, 30mpg or 50mpg, its a toughy but thats why ive bought a Tzd instead of running the Gti. Both are excellent cars in their own right & i do enjoy the Tzd, its easier to drive once in the power band than the Gti, but for pure thrills, its the Gti i'm afraid, so gaulddd knows what the valver must be like.....
I did however when i went to the Cholmondely meet get 36mpg out of the Gti, which i thought was pretty good for that type of car considering it is 16 years old.

So clear as mud then....
GTi's are great, but the difference between the 8v and 16v is like a boeing 747 400 and the space shuttle! 8) :D

The best MPG I ever got from the valver was 42 on a not so steady trip to Cornwall and back. I was very impressed! Usually get around 28/36 depending on
A: how bad a mood I'm in :D
B: how much lead has entered my foot that day
C: how fast I need to get somewhere
D: how many traffic jams I get caught in
E: how many to$$ers I come across in cr%p cars I just have to get past to prove a point :roll:

The TD does around 41 - 55MPG depending on most of the above!
As she was setup, there was no turbo lag and was getting 1.5bar boost at 1500RPM! :shock:
The acceleration was awesome and would blow almost anything away... including the cylinder head that melted :cry:

Everythings been turned down a bit now so it's not as exiting as it was but it's still a audi TT killer.

Horses for courses I guess.
I'd love to run the valver everyday, it's the most exhilerating car I've ever had but the TD is better for long distance (being longer legged, hence less busy at motorway speeds / less tiring).

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip chidlow wrote:The best I've ever got out of my GTi (auto it has to be said) is 31 mpg on a 220 mile run. 36mpg is bl**dy good mate.
If our auto's are doing any traffic off the motorway (or we're in 30/40 speed limits) what kills the mpg is that we cannot be in 4th gear until the car passes 42mph (it drops out again at 38mph). So for a lot of the time we are in a lower gear than our manual cousins and that of course takes it's toll on the fuel economy figures.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi,
from what i know it is a gti with a td lump on board.

but it sounds great!
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Gti with a td lump is a tzd all bar the stickers isnt it?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Heavy iron block doesn't do anything for the TD's handling, slow revving engine doesn't help either. The stronger anti-roll bars help a bit but nothing disguises the heavy engine.

I'd expect a GTi to e far more fun to drive until the fuel gauge hit empty!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

tim leech wrote:Gti with a td lump is a tzd all bar the stickers isnt it?
True :)

I guess for our diesel contingent there is a bonus of the factory fitted water & oil temoerature guages :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto