Indicator stalk problem.

BX Tech talk
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

am gonna be wirral side of the water Saturday morning, i guess we could have a look then if you fancy bringing it to the BX Emporium (rents place). Can't really steal my mums car again or id come to you!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Before you replace the multistrand, please do ensure that it's the cause of the problem. Diagnosis first, action later is a very good rule on electrical faults, otherwise you can drive yourself absolutely nuts! Check the multistrand is pressed fully home into the interconnect box under the glovebox, for example. You can also take a look at, and clean up, the earth point behind the rear l/h light.

As your car , I suspect, is fitted with a towbar, you've got another set of complications to bear in mind: this is the scotchlocked mess that often passes for a professional towbar electrics fitment. If in doubt, rip it out, but not before you've checked the other obvious stuff (see note below - if you have a spare multistrand, then you can probably bypass the scotchlocks for testing purposes).

It should also be possible to rig up a continuity test on the multistrand with some (long) sections of extra cable and a continuity tester, but this may not tell you about any earthing problems in the towbar electrics.

If you have another mutistrand from a scrapper, then you can connect it and run it under test conditions without so much as lifting a carpet, if you route it overground on a temporary basis. It should be possible to examine at the lhs point where it passes under the seats, possible by raising the seat or by careful disassembly.

If removing the seat, be VERY careful about unbolting the cross-car hinge which holds the rear seat backs in position. By VERY careful I mean DON'T DO IT, unless there's no alternative: the 10mm bolt-heads will shear off if you just look at them..... AFAIR, the cable will slide out and to one side. If you must remove the seat back, gently disengage the washer at the end of each hinge (without losing it), and push the hingebolt through the locating holes to free the seat back.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Many thanks for that, I haven`t touched it yet. I`m praying it`s the rear light earth tbh as it`s proper getting on my already frayed nerves now. It`s incredibly frustrating (as well as dangerous) trying to time overtaking on the motorway or turn off at junctions with cars right behind you when you don`t know if your indicators will work.
I`ve now discovered the battery light glows, albeit VERY dimly, at night with lights on etc.
I`m praying it`s the battery as I have a good one coming back soon or it`s just got the same curse as the Maestro who`s battery light stayed on all the time regardless yet always started and never flattened the battery. I suppose it could be the fan belt possibly?
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Fair do`s I`ve just about had a f*****g enough of it now. I`ve taken the n/s/r cluster off (again) and had another poke round. Pushing the indicator bulb in a bit and jiggling it round made them work again so gave everything a clean and the back of the indicator bulb holder looks a bit crap so had a good go at that. Then the hazards started flashing all round without the bulb in the rear??? Took the earth wires off the n/s/r light unit, cleaned up the earthpoint with a sharp screwdriver and put it all back together. Worked for a while now packed up again and back to working once in a blue moon. The last thing is check the mutistrand and if that`s not the problem I`m honestly thinking of giving up and selling the car. I know it`s a bit extreme but it`s really doing my head in now and I just want to drive it without fearing I`m going to be crashed into because the stupid b*****d indicators don`t work. I haven`t got the time at the moment to be arsing about with it and at the same time I can`t do without a car.
Off for a cup of tea now and a smoke to see if I can calm down a bit....
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thankyou. I take it by circuit board you mean the bulb holder inside the rear lens?
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

OOH OOH OOH! Estate ones matey, what`s the damage inc. postage please?
Vauxhall apologist.
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I had a very similar problem on my TZD last year - took the LHS rear light cluster out, and took some fine steel wool to every connection and polished them up, undid the earthing point behind the light and gave it a good scrub as well. Did all the lamp holders in the circuit board as well on both rear lights and it solved the problem. Lights have been working fine since, so before you start ripping up ribbon cables, I suggest you spend 20 minutes with some steel wool and polish every connector, earthing point, and bulb holder and see if that fixes it. BTW, I also have a towbar and the scotch-locked electrical connections on mine behind the left rear light, but left them alone as the wiring to the trailer connector was OK and I never use it - but if you don't use your towbar at all, might be an idea to remove all the scotchlocks and liquid tape the wires they came off to be safe.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Got the replacement rear bulb holder today (thanks Jon, p.m will be with you shortly). Got all excited when I found it on the doorstep and had it fitted within minutes of finding it.
Guess what though? You`ve got it-eff all again! Indicators and hazards haven`t worked for days now, not even for a few seconds. Have checked fuse which is fine and the bulb holder is in much better condition than the one which came off.
Had a look under the reat seat to find the multi-strand but it appears o.k and seems to run along behind the rear side panels in the load area-couldn`t see any connections under the seat itself.
It`s getting my annoyed again now. Anyone want a cheap nicely running estate with short MOT, 6 month`s tax and indicators not working?
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It's a pity you don't know where there will be a gathering of BX enthusiasts near you where you could take the car and let everyone else sort it out for you. :wink:
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

quote="ken newbold"]It's a pity you don't know where there will be a gathering of BX enthusiasts near you where you could take the car and let everyone else sort it out for you. :wink:[/quote] :lol:

:o It`s an even bigger pity that I do know but I can`t make it! :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.