Gear Linkages/Gearbox Problems

BX Tech talk
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Nulon

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello I am sure this has come up before but could anyone suggest a supplier of Nulon. I Emailed them in Australia twice but received no reply so I am assuming that it is not ?? obtainable over here.
How about a bit of cheekyness Alan S do you think that you could enquire please about a source at this end. Thank you so much.
Have a Good Christmas.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Think its the same as Slick
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Ive had this problem I changed the clutch clutch still with no cure I then changed the gear oil which improved it a lot but it was still notchy and stiff then it started where the lincage ball and socket joint at the end of the lincage from the gearstick to the box the big one under the car was cooming apart so i replaced all the lincages including the gear stick and that cured it, it turned out to be a worn bush at the bottom of the gearstick the giveway of a worn bush though is the gearstick goes like a spoon in a pudding bowl. :)
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Aaron, the woes do feel like they're at the gearstick end. Can you offer any advice as to which bits i will need to do an overhaul?
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

jeremy wrote:Think its the same as Slick
This stuff is well pricey at my local motorfactors. I'd want to be pretty sure it was good stuff before i shelled out 20-30quid on a bit of oil....
Over and out from me
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I don't rate additives in all honesty. Just make sure you have a good quality 75/80w oil like the Total stuff and you're away. Most I've ever done is stick 2litres in as opposed to 1.8 and its always been happy.

Could stuck some banana skins or sawdust in if you're still not happy with it :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

If you look under the car there is a big pair of rods which go from the gearstick to the gearbox its these bars that need replacing as there is a pair of bushes at the bottom of he gearstick which are made of nylon and they wear out you can check this a bit by holding the gearstick and try pullong it up if it pulls up the bushes are worn out as there should be vertually no upwards movement of the gearstick also move the gearstick side to side slowly if there is no resistance and it feels sloppy then there is a sure sign of worn bushes.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Kitch wrote:Could stuck some banana skins or sawdust in if you're still not happy with it :wink:
I'll ask Sir Cavmad about this!!!
Over and out from me
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Kitch wrote: Could stuck some banana skins or sawdust in if you're still not happy with it :wink:
Only guy I ever met who tried this old wives tale on, managed to seize the diff on a RW drive car.
Anybody game enough to try it on a FWD with gearbox and diff in the one component is a starter for a VC.
Was an old pre-war trick on cars that were built a lot less understressed than todays are and supposedly used by dodgy used car yards to get rid of diff moans. In reality, the sawdust and nana peels just soaked up the oil and the bits found their way into bearings and operating surfaces, overheated everything due to lack of oil and friction build up and blew it all to kingdom come.

I've never been into engine oil additives as the early ones used the same stuff in them that these gearbox iones do these days and in an engine they become self defeating, but in a gearbox their ability to "hang on" to moving components is their secret. As regards having any phobias about additives per se' let's face it, all oils are full of them these days in particular gear oils with some ATFs being almost all additives.

I'll see what I can find out about Nulon as I'm certain I have heard others say it is available over there. Price quoted for Slick is way over the top, as Nulon G70 sells for something like A$11 per 125 mls over here.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Thank you very much Alan, thats most helpfull. I have a feeling (and thats all it is ) that Slick 50 is a molibdinum dysulphide <sp> based lubricant and Nulon a PTFE based one, although I could have it a88e about face or indeed completely wrong. I will have a check.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

NEVER WRONG.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

IIRC you've got it right there Geoff.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Ah I did say that I probably got things a** about face yep. Slick 50 is ptfe based. I did find this though.

www.fordscorpio.co.uk/snakeoil.htm

Wasnt quite so sucessfull with Nulon but am now an expert on skin care!
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

NEVER WRONG.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Geoffrey Gould wrote:Ah I did say that I probably got things a** about face yep. Slick 50 is ptfe based. I did find this though.

www.fordscorpio.co.uk/snakeoil.htm

Wasnt quite so sucessfull with Nulon but am now an expert on skin care!
Cheers.
Geoff.
Remember I said this?
I've never been into engine oil additives as the early ones used the same stuff in them that these gearbox iones do these days and in an engine they become self defeating, but in a gearbox their ability to "hang on" to moving components is their secret. As regards having any phobias about additives per se' let's face it, all oils are full of them these days in particular gear oils with some ATFs being almost all additives.
That article refers to "engine" oil and I've got no problems agreeing with them, but gearbox additives work for exactly the same reasons engine oils ones don't.
Nulon makes no secret of what their stuff doies and to my knowledge have never been challenged in court on it and the placebo effect has been discounted several times including Craig Kellers experience I quoted previously.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?productId=g70

Alan S
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I'm against additives on principle but Nulon made a huge difference to my CX. Price last time I bought it £16.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello Alan a very interesting site ,the Nulon one I mean. I wasnt having a pop at Nulon if you say that it works then thats good enough for me.
I happened on the fordscorpio site and thought it might be interesting, personally I could never work out how ptfe (visions of ptfe tape, ) could possibly work in an engine and confess to thinking that it was an overpriced con. Probably because my non-stick frying pan rapidly became capeable of sticking to anything.
I know not exactly brilliant or scientific but there we are.
Cheers and have a Good Christmas.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

NEVER WRONG.