1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
donna
Confirmed BX'er

hurricane clutch

Post by donna »

do i have to take the power steering pump off and the hydro pump off lots of f*****g pipes
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: hurricane clutch

Post by ken newbold »

donna wrote:do i have to take the power steering pump off and the hydro pump off lots of f*****g pipes
It's possible to do it by tying up these things out of the way. I'd take the radiator off for safety and it makes it easier to get to the FDV and regulator bolts.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Right, er, yes, the hydraulic pump needs to come off, it's possible to unbolt it, complete with HP pipe (from the FDV end) and hoof it out the way, the FDV and Pressure reg will unbolt (4 11MM bolts), you can tie it up with a piece of string round the slam panel, I cant say I've ever removed the rad to do it, but if you feel it's safer, it's easy enough to do so. The power steering pump and hydraulic pump are one and the same!

It's much easier to remove the gearbox if you have remove the gearbox mount stud, although it is possible to do it with the stud attached.

Long gone are the days when I could lift a box out and in by arm strength alone, I use a engine beam to hold the engine and a engine lift to drop / lift the 'box these days. Why work hard if you dont have to?

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

You been down the pub for two hours, smoked 150 fags...drunk 31 pints of ale and you STILL do a comprehensive post on clutch change!!! :lol: Oh no wait....you do this in your sleep don't you?? Wake up Doc...WAKE UP :roll:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

One more thing. If you're lifting the box out by hand, under no circumstances allow the wieght of the box to hang on the input shaft, it will bend, resulting in a juddery short lived clutch. Very short lived.

Have a long beam (wood or similar) resting across the top of the engine bay, tie some rope round the box and onto this, then when the box is clear have a helper lower it down.
donna
Confirmed BX'er

hurricane

Post by donna »

thanks for that i will use a pice of timber and rope and maybe a trolly jack ive done a bit to the bx today all thats left from what i can see is gearbox mount and gearbox bolts and undo 3 13mill bolts from o/s drive shaft atached to gearbox i hope the driveshaft will come away from gearbox on the o/s as i dont have a 35mill for hub bolt thanks for all your help you have been great regards gaz