bx 16 TGS Meteor Auto wont start for some time

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

cacaolat wrote:by the way, my engine also cuts out sometimes...for a second only, but rather annoying, could this be related
Under what conditions? Cold engine or hot? What are you doing when it cuts out?

E.g. mine used to cut out and lose all power when "giving it some" overtaking uphill in 5th. Scary on the A3 I can tell you!

Cheers,

Mark.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

roscoe wrote:I love diesels :D :D no autochoke, ignition systems, etc - they just go :D
I was just thinking exactly the same thing. only about 45 MPG too
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

Do I detect an air of smuggness???
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well, I get about 45 / 50 MPG out of the TD usually (tuned and modded though mind), I can get more if I'm careful, but ya know, when you've got extra oooomph, you tend to use it...

If I drive the valver gently, or over a long run, I can achieve 42mpg, so there aint a massive difference, and sometimes I can get 99octane petrol for a bit less than Diesel so the difference in consumption can be evened out with the price difference...

Either way, both cars put a smile on my face, so I dont tend to worry too much about consumption. I only check every fill up so that I can tell pretty quickley if something is amiss with the engine..

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

to Marks earlier question:
my Bx cuts out some times when I just wanted to accelerate away...just every now and then....(as an automatic it is really comfy to drive, but not the fastest acceleration)
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Mine used to stutter if I tried to accelerate too fast in town in 2nd/3rd. I'd try what I did: unscrew the black box off the side of the carb, spray all the linkages behind with carb cleaner, re-oil them all and lubricate the choke pull-down drive rod which is at the bottom left of the autochoke chamber. Grab the rod with needle-nose pliers and push it leftwards a couple of times - it should move freely and spring back when you let go. Since I did this simple thing, I've had no cutting out whatsoever under heavy acceleration and the car feels somewhat more powerful. I assume that the sticking drive rod was causing an over-rich mixture for normal operating temperatures.

Regards,

Mark.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Will give it a try...eventually thanks for that
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Cacaolat, here is a recording of what the spark sounds like with the radio tuned to a quiet "off station" spot and the volume turned up.

www.apxe94.dsl.pipex.com/radio_spark.mp3

This was recorded on the medium waveband at 522kHz during daylight (it doesn't work so well after dark due to higher levels of background noise). The first section is with the manual choke not operated to simulate a "no start" situation. You can hear the sparks as clicks at a rate of about 2 per second. The second part is with the choke operated so that the engine will start. When it starts the clicks occur at a rate of about 30 per second.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

:P ellevie, thanks for that. The recording sounds really like a spark. I did not really notice it, but when I tried to listen the car started immediately so I may have missed that. Anyway I have learned something from an expert and I am sure it will be useful next time when the would not start.
Thank you
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

ellevie wrote:Cacaolat, here is a recording of what the spark sounds like with the radio tuned to a quiet "off station" spot and the volume turned up.

www.apxe94.dsl.pipex.com/radio_spark.mp3

This was recorded on the medium waveband at 522kHz during daylight (it doesn't work so well after dark due to higher levels of background noise). The first section is with the manual choke not operated to simulate a "no start" situation. You can hear the sparks as clicks at a rate of about 2 per second. The second part is with the choke operated so that the engine will start. When it starts the clicks occur at a rate of about 30 per second.
That was great ... just like listening to Caroline in the late 80's lol ... very useful tip...
Doz

1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

I must be going mad .......if anyone had told me that at 50 I'd be tuning in to a broadcast of a Citroen Ignition System...... both working and not working ( or is that the other way around?). Very well done though ellevie very ingenious.
Mike.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Radio Caroline, now that brings back memories. I was a teenager myself in the sixties. :?
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

ellevie wrote:Radio Caroline, now that brings back memories. I was a teenager myself in the sixties. :?
Still going ... www.radiocaroline.co.uk

I crewed the ship in 1989 and in 2005 ;)
Doz

1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Nice one ! You must have been there when HMGov boarded and smashed everything up.
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

Nah, several months after that ... things were not in a good way ....
Doz

1993 Kawasaki GPZ500