Digit For Free. *Thread resurrected again. Page 7 this time

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Jeez I love it... It has officially 'almost as much rust as my GSA Pallas SE' status.

If you're feeling limber then it's got to be done. I think I concur that it's a front subframe off situation but that also allows for proper fixing up of the unreachables.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

"almost as much rust as" Pfft!

I know the feeling. I've repaired much worse corrosion in cars before now. After all, I "cut my teeth" on Talbots, which as far as I'm aware came pre-packed with salt solution in the sills, wings, arches and floor just to make sure they rotted out as fast as physically possible. Taught me to weld though!

Problem is that I've got that, a Fiat X1/9 and two CX's to deal with. None of which are renowned for their corrosion resistance.

Walks off muttering about why he ever moved away from Pug 405s and their lovely zinc electro-plated body.
this might be a signature
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I know someone who bought a brand new Talbot Horizon, and it needed welding doing for it's first MoT!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Mmm, *crunchy* ;-)

It's bad sure, but its all looks fairly straightforward (if tedious) although I suspect that that N/S rear sill (and likely inner rear wings once the outers are cut off) may turn out to be rather exciting... Although it is a fair bit of metalwork for a BX, for someone more used to rampant CX/G/Ami rust it all looks very do-able (but no I'm not volunteering to take it on!), and it is a Digit after all!

Best of luck, getting started is always the hardest bit...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Matt H wrote:I know someone who bought a brand new Talbot Horizon, and it needed welding doing for it's first MoT!
I had seven of those bastards. Don't talk to me about welding on a Horizon. I can still pick out the corrosion points in my sleep.

Grr.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Matt H wrote:I know someone who bought a brand new Talbot Horizon, and it needed welding doing for it's first MoT!
I had seven of those bastards. Don't talk to me about welding on a Horizon. I can still pick out the corrosion points in my sleep.

Grr.
God, you're even more stubborn than me, even I would have thrown the towel in by number 4 or even 5! I sincerely hope they were the XUD Horizon too...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
M

Post by M »

Buy the TRS off ebay and re-shell the Digit. ((((Runs and hides))))
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

NNNOOOOOO :shock:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Artic steel has a silver D plate mk1 16TRS.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Artic steel has a silver D plate mk1 16TRS. Which he may want to get rid of?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

jonathan_dyane wrote:I sincerely hope they were the XUD Horizon too...
Two were. The others were a variety of simca-petrol-engined rubbish. One did save my life though, so I can't be too derogatory about them.

I can't imagine there's a single one left on the road now.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote:I sincerely hope they were the XUD Horizon too...
Two were. The others were a variety of simca-petrol-engined rubbish. One did save my life though, so I can't be too derogatory about them.

I can't imagine there's a single one left on the road now.
The old bloke who lived next door to my grand parents had a Horizon for years. I remember well the creative bodging he employed when the scuttle rotted out at the bottom of the windscreen, which consisted of fiberglass with metal strips self tappered to the 'good' metal to stop the screen falling out...

I guess it was the sturdiness rather than the slow and dead feeling steering that saved you then?
Alcyone

Post by Alcyone »

This topic has been dormant for almost a year. Time to wake it!

How's the car? I've owned a Digit, it was too rusty and in the end I've converted a GT with all the Digit parts. Might be a smart move considering the rust, it took us two days to do so. I've got a topic in the gallery section.

If not available, I can help with specific documentation (in german), wiring schematics etc. I can even lookup the code you need to pre-program the computer, for KPH versions it's "211 +(<the key) Enter", for MPH versions it's "113 + Enter". Every time the battery's dead or disconnected, you need to reprogram. This does not switch the main display between KPH & MPH though, which is a shame since we've never figured out how to change it. Must be a soldered switch on the circuitboard but we don't have a UK version for reference.

Is it true there really are only two or three left in the UK? In The Netherlands there have been close to 25. Overal there seems to be 4000 produced. I'm aware of french, dutch german and belgian versions, never heard of any italian or spanish cars.
wtr

Post by wtr »

Haha, Hello Alex. I could have known.... you already replied on this topic!
Wow, this digit is really crusty. How about buying a digit in Nl, Germany, belgium (like I did :D ) or where ever and put the RHD dash in it?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

David's DIGIT isn't THAT bad, I've seen it!
Needs a bit of work with the MiG but it wouldn't take much to make it fly again, and I'd love to see that car fly again, since the dash is just the coolest thing of eVaH, and I really want a go in it!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...