non bx sorry Citroen XM 2.5 TD

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I'd love this car but I really, really can't. No money to buy it, and not enough bravery to own something as complex as an XM at a time when funds are tight.

From the description it would be a real shame to see it scrapped though.

Anyone? Oscar?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

PiLsY. wrote: Beauty of an engine the 2.5
?????? Which 2.5 is that then? Surely not the crap unit Citroën put in the XM! :wink:

TWO balance shafts, TWO radiators and agricultural....

The 2.1 was always the best XM engine, by a country mile, sweet, powerful, lazy, economical, infinetley tunable...

Just my opinion of course...

Either way, the XM is a lovely car and good luck with the sale Leroy, now if it was a 2.1 auto, leather, air con, cruise, late s1 hatch, I'd be interested!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Sounds good to me :?
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

I'm only talking from the standpoint of driving it - its so gutsy you barely feel the car under you when you drive it. Did an hour in one towing a sierra grasscar on an 18ft trailer and it was awesome. Expected to feel like it had a parachute out the back, but the difference was minimal. Handling was heavy, but the drive itself was sweet.

Is there much difference in torque between the 2.1 and 2.5?

I'm sure if it was possible to put a bigger DERV than the 1.9td in someone would've done it by now of course, but I'd love to see what around 150bhp and 300ish ft lb of torque would do in a BX :lol: .

Matt.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I duno TBH, I've driven a few 2.5's and a few 2.1's. The 2.1 wins everytime for me. Any engine that needs TWO balance shafts to smooth things out is inherentley bad by design IMHO.
There was a BX with a 2.1 lump fitted. Have no idea if it is still going.

I'll be building a 2.1 8v diesel for mine at some point soon.

I was running 150bhp on the 1.7 for a while, but I blew the head apart, and it ate turbo's. So I'm running 130bhp now.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
PiLsY.
BXpert

Post by PiLsY. »

I've heard of 1.9s making it up to 150 without going ridiculous on boost, but its always been the torque that gives the kick in the gut, and you can't beat higher capacity for grunt.

I can't say I've driven a 2.1 (that I can remember anyway). I have to admit though that I prefer the mechanical injection engines to the HDI's. At some point when I'm happy with everything else on the tzd i'll have a play with pump pressure and a boost advance, but that's likely a long way off. FMIC should make a big difference (xantia one should bolt straight on afaik - there's not much difference externally between the XUD17TE and XUD19TE). Interesting project once everything else is sorted though (yeah right!!).

Matt.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Hows 130bhp Doc? really fancy mine having a bit more poke, nothing quite as dramatic as what u have gotten yours upto, would 110bhp be acheivable regarding fuel economy & reliability?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

It seems 130bhp, fine for reliability and still getting 45MPG, unless I attach lead weights to my foot.. which is most of the time! :roll:

It's easier to tune a Bosch equipped car than a Lucas, but it's possible with either.
A lucas pump needs the lid removing and a bit of fiddling with the internals, and wind the boost up a bit.

Mine has bigger valves than standard (triple angle too! :twisted: )

150bhp just kept eating turbo's and blew the head apart, litterally... :oops:

Having a decent sized intercooler helps too, the poxy thing on top the engine is crap, and of course gets all the heat from the engine, and minimal airflow due to it's cheap but inefficient location..

The 17 and 19 TD's are almost identical really, theres only 3mm difference in the bores, but the 17 is a sweeter engine and doesn't tend to suffer from porous blocks.

You can get just as much power and torque from a 17 than you can with a 19..

Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Sanity has prevailed, unfortunately.

SWMBO said "I'm tired of discussing this, you do what you want" in the tone of voice that means "You'd better NOT do what you want, or your knackers will be catfood!".

In fact, it would be foolish. I don't have the expertise to maintain and repair the XM, nor do I have the funds to pay someone else to do it.

Also, we don't need to replace the BX. Especially not since I've done the rear arms, alternator, rad, welding, etc, etc, etc.

So, XM ownership will remain a recurring dream.

Hope I haven't wasted your time Leroy.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

car now sold

many thanks for your interest and thoughts guys..
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate