PC Repairs

Anything about BXs
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Hmmm, might take this offer up via written advice if i may!

I make heavy use of Norton System Works Premier 2005 <waits for scorn of heretics> it's a very powerful and briliantly capable program and when you've been using it as long as i have you know how to stream line and get the suite to do exactly what you want! I also ensure my family use it as non of them are particulalry computer minded and its easy to setup Norton to run and protect in the back ground without them ever noticing, effectively idiot proofing the computer! However, Norton overheads are bloody stupid, it absolutley chokes the comptuer and puts a stop to video messaging, live streaming, fast downloads even large emails take an age so as it's coming up for renewal again (and i actually pay for it) i'm considering alternative options, but can't find any!

Something i like about system works is that it does everything i want it to do in one box that is firewall, anti spam, antivirus, antispy and adware, computer cleaning (by way of WinDoctor and Cleanup) and proper file deletion thorugh wipe info. I can't find any other product on the market which does all these tasks in one box for one fee. I'm happy to pay, but it has to be fully automatic and work correctly. I use AVG on my laptop now as i wasn't goign to pay for two Norton suites, and it needs so much user input its stupid, it can't just load updates on its own!

So got any alternative suggestions?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I got away from Norton a few years ago, it was tying up system resources excessively, there is also the fact that hackers and other assholes see Norton as the one to beat and so it can make you more likely to be attacked, I am surprised you have not sorted AVG to auto update yet, mine all do it fine, for the remainder of my protection I have Zone alarm, Ad aware, and Spybot, for disk maintenence I use diskeeper and I am looking at system mechanic to see whether its worth the $20.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Vanny I wonder if you have ticked the 'If internet connection is not available - check when on line' box in the AVG scheduler. It used to nearly stop my old computer on startup but I barely notice it on this one.

It was with great pleasure that I removed Norton when the free period expired. Funny that AVG found something when I did the first scan - and I really don't miss being asked by Norton to do its job for it all the time.

What's wrong with Windows XP firewall? I thought the general impression was that it was good?

Spybot no longer seems free but Adbot is and we now have the 'Windows malicious software removal tool from Microsoft if you can ever remember how to update it before scanning.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I've used AVG (Free Edition) for about 6 years now, and have always had the protection I need. I also use ZoneAlarm (also Free) and Adaware to keep out any other 'nasties'!
I use Yamicsoft WinXP Manager for all my 'hoovering' of reduntant files and old 'Net crap.....works perfectly! (Though I must admit that it's a slightly dodgy version that cost me nowt!)
It's been about 3 years since I was hacked/bugged/virused by anything untoward!
My AVG updates itself automatically almost every morning, takes around 20 seconds, and it shows that Grisoft are on the ball with the latest anti-virus protection. Similarly, ZoneAlarm lets me know, every so often, if there is an update. This can take a little longer to update, as it involves a reboot to complete, but it's no inconvenience, considering the protection I get!

All in all I'm happy with the security I get, and everything runs quietly in the background,, with very little (if any) effect on my true running programmes.
I have always built my own PCs, since around 1996, and have had no problems with hardware etc.
I run a 'dual-boot' system with XP Pro on one hard-drive and Vista Ultimate on another separate drive. XP Pro is superb, and I think that Vista will, eventually, get dragged up to a similar standard. Currently, as Terry says, there is very little suipport for older software, and I use Vista very little!
My guess is that Micro$oft are waiting until the new DX10 graphics is ready, before attempting to bring the older stuff into the fold (if possible).

Cheers
Dave
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

jeremy wrote:What's wrong with Windows XP firewall? I thought the general impression was that it was good?
Windows XP built-in firewall lasted about 3 days before it had been seriously compromised. Even with updates it's still about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

If you have an old PC lying around doing nothing, then I very much recommend IP Cop as a firewall/router system for home networking. I use this to manage 8 different machines and a web-server (serving about 20 websites) all on domestic broadband. It really is very good. Runs on a P1 66mhz, with about 6% processor usage. It would run on a 386 machine, but I needed USB support for the broadband modem. Nothing ever gets past it.
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

Don't get me wrong i do know my stuff on computers (if you saw the size of my rig you'd understand that, and i do mean rig as it stopped being a computer quite some time ago!) but have simply always opted out of internet security by going with Norton. Unfortunately i've always been comfortable with putting up with the HUGE overheads it puts on the system, until now!

And the probelm i have is already evident, generally everyone recommends the same three antivirus programs (bit deffender, avast and AVG) and the same spam blockers (adaware, zonealarm, spybot SAD) and then other firewall alternatives, great if i want to have three more programs to deal with along with further programs for cleaning, wiping, HD monitoring and defragging and i really don't wan't the hassle of dealing with so many seperate programs which will no doubt cause more problems and limitations in the long run.

Its starting to look like either Norton 360 or a hand full of programs to do the same thing (and i do apprecaite that norton is simply a box load of jumbled up programs!

on the AVG 7.5 front, i have no options in scheduler and infact very few options anywhere (which really bugs me) if i ask it nicely to do an update then i have to click to get the open the program, click to get the start option, click to confirm i want the priority update, wait for it to dowload and install, then tell it i know its done the update, then close the program. 6 button pressess and lots of faffing to do something norton does without me even caring to notice! Now is this simply a settings issue?
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

@Vanny,

In AVG 7.5....you can check the Update Manager status by clicking ( From the Control centre )...

Control Centre / View / Components / Update Manager

Mine is set to auto-run Updates every time I switch it on! (Almost every morning!)
Make sure you tick the 'Do not ask for update source' button.

Give me a shout on MSN (addy in my profile) if you've still got probs! :wink:
Dave
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I use Avira AntiVir for antivirus - it seems to do very well in independent tests. Don't take my word for it, google some test results.

No problems with spyware since I switched to Firefox, but I've still got the habit of sweeping regularly with Lavasoft Ad-Aware!
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Ken...not sure the pm is working, so I'll post the reply to spylocked here.

Open Internet Explorer and copy/paste this address into the address bar/ Google/Yahoo address bar (whichever you use.)

The web page explains a lot about the spyware issue and gives two methods of removal, automatic (recommended) and manual.

If you have any further problems with this one please do pm me. I'm out 'till gone midnight tonight so I'll pick up your pm tomorrow morning.

All the best

Terry
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi Been away/busy for a few days. Thanks for the advice. I will probably end up getting an Intel Mac Book or iBook running software via Rosetta etc... - but for a PC laptop a Dell seems my best bet - running pre-Vista software/OS. When I have a moment I'll look into it again... but £250-£350 sounds better than, well,... Apple money!

:D

Again, thanks for all the advice!!! What a forum! =D>
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Phillip...

Just a thought. Running a PowerPC chip on older Macs and using Rosetta means all software under Rosetta runs very slowly, almost painfully.

Although they're more expensive, a used Mac Book with Intel DuoCore chip from Apple website is better value, a better machine, and with a little tweaking, you can run Windows software on it, just as I do on My Intel iMac. More later if you want it.

Also, resale values almost anywhere are 3-5 times greater than a corresponding windows laptop.

If the cash is not available for Mac, Dell is still a good buy.

Take care

Terry