Who's right; PSA or Haynes?

BX Tech talk
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Whilst I've been following this through on a few forums (mainly to settle my own and a few others curiosities) it has been confirmed that Peugeot 205s were also smitten by the same problem (as I had heard previously) but in the case of Peugeot it seems that if you complained loud and long enough, they would rectify it under warranty. The story the owners were given was that they had received a batch of "faulty pistons" which sounds like a nice way of putting a spin on "we stuffed up in the assembly" and this way, the blame can be laid at someone elses doorstep.
Citroen seemed to be more inclined to sell the story that it was Citroens policy that cars needed some upper cylinder lube and that this was an experimental way of achieving this.
Others were told they had fitted a new type of ring and if the problem persisted, they supposedly "fitted the newer type" which looks like all they did was fit the same rings but in the correct order and pointing the right way up.:roll:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

While it's not the same XU variant, this tale reminds me of a low-mileage 1580cc petrol BX I owned. I must admit that I don't know if the piston-ring arrangement on the smaller XUs is the same.

I've bored people on this forum with the details often enough before, but the short of it was that one cylinder on this 60,000-miler - and one cylinder only - started to foul up at a rate of knots. It was a 1989 car.

I wasn't doing any really heavy DIY on my cars at the time, so fought it out for a while with the Citroen garage from whom I bought the car at 30,000 miles, but got nowhere with them. The car was re-engined elsewhere and did many more years service. The next XU oil-drinker that I owned DID respond to the valve-stem treatment, but I put a lot of effort into diagnosing the problem first.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Seems that I should try remove sump, crank and pistons from the next abandoned XU-oildrinker in my herd.

Could prove that it just needs a reversal of oil rings to make another 200K miles of service - who knows :?: :idea: :shock:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Anders, here's the other mute point with this stuff up.
By reversing the scraper ring, it seems to encourage higher bore wear, but I was lucky enough to be able to hone mine out. Be interesting to see what effect it has after higher mileage. :wink:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.