TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by panky »

It's miles,192,000+ and counting, still running sweet, no smoke or strange noises and pulls strong. Rich did a top end overhaul which should keep thing happy for a while :D
Image Image Image
Jugostran
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 Cimos-Citroën BX 16 TRS
2007 BMW 318D (the "company car")

Post by Jugostran »

panky wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:40 pm It's miles,192,000+ and counting, still running sweet, no smoke or strange noises and pulls strong. Rich did a top end overhaul which should keep thing happy for a while :D
No freaking way, that's amazing. These engines are underrated in terms of reliability. I should overhaul the top end on mine hah.
How often did Rich change the timing belt? I've heard that it should be done every three years, and I've been driving my BX for three years.
Proudly daily driving a 1989 BX 16 TRS since 2021

panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

The car has only done a few thousand miles since Rich bought it in 2006 so was well used in it's early life - but the belt has been done recently and only hundreds of miles since.
I think we'd better give Tim his blog back now - sorry for the thread hi-jack :wink:
Image Image Image
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Jugostran wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:12 pm
Tim Leech wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 pm
Jugostran wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:13 am Ah, shame. I would love that colour if I had a GT. I think it suits the car really well. The only gripe I have is that it doesn't have the beige interior to match. There is a GT in the Netherlands which has that colour combination. Though, if I could choose any colour for a GT, I'd go with green. I do actually like the greyish blue that they're most often found in, but this green is really appealing.

As its a "86MY", they all adopted the black CX Turbo style interior, but it did gain an electric sunroof, but lost the computer ahead of the gearlever, instead having a digital clock.
Ah, I did not know that! I thought they all looked the same regardless of model year. Shame they lost the trip computer. They were actually planned for the Mk2 BX. It's such a shame the Mk2 never actually got a trip computer. It would've been quite nice.

1350 miles round france completed, I had to adjust the clutch, and I have developed a wheel wobble aswell as a hesitation/stuttering at light throttle, and I think its riding a bit high and the ride is a little crashy
Oh, that doesn't sound too good. Hesitation and stuttering at light throttle? Damn, that's eerie. Mine just had the same issue which quickly developed into stalling at anything but idle or full throttle. Turns out the base of the carb was warped. Looking at your pictures, and its hard to tell, but it could be riding slightly too high? Mine is adjusted to 162 mm from the bottom of the sill to the ground (yeah I know the measurements are done on the suspension itself, but I just didn't care so I adjusted it to what the owners manual said it should ride at). Having a crashy ride though...that's odd. Having the suspension slightly too high (like yours) shouldn't cause that much of a difference. It could be something with the spheres or struts I'd guess.

The ride on my car is very soft... and glides over speed bumps, but its over pot holes and alike is where it gets noisy.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Jugostran
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 Cimos-Citroën BX 16 TRS
2007 BMW 318D (the "company car")

Post by Jugostran »

Tim Leech wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 pm The ride on my car is very soft... and glides over speed bumps, but its over pot holes and alike is where it gets noisy.
Huh, interesting. Mine sort of does the same thing? Though mine makes this really odd "portaling" noise (that's what I call it at least, it's sort repeating "whoop" noise) which comes from the front suspension, so something may not be right with it.
Proudly daily driving a 1989 BX 16 TRS since 2021