TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by Tim Leech »

MULLEY wrote:How about a citroen dyane Tim? They are still fairly reasonably priced considering how much a 2cv sells for these day's, they are slow, but have soft suspension & would be able to keep up with traffic, whereas in a minor you'll be struggling tbh.
A moggy and a 2cv performance is about the same. Dyannes are rare and good ones seem to fecth strong money, plus that would mean joining 2CVGB and I dont think im "hip" enough for all that and certainly cant drink what they do! :lol:

Its a moggy or nowt this time, maybe in 6 months I may decide its not for me but its a itch I need to scratch, plus my Uncle knows them inside and out and is now retired so I have a free mechanic!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Tim Leech wrote:Its a moggy or nowt this time, maybe in 6 months I may decide its not for me but its a itch I need to scratch, plus my Uncle knows them inside and out and is now retired so I have a free mechanic!

Quite right too! if you don't itch the scratch you will always be wondering what if? I look forward to reading your 'Mog Blog' on here I hope? :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Whatever car you buy someone will always say, thats crap, thats great, you dont want one of those you want one of these and your original idea can lost in peoples good natured but not always useful suggestions.....

I also have a hankering for a Marina (had two as a teeneager and there was loads in the family), I would want a 1.7 and know they arent free tax, finding one is hard plus my best mate HATES them and has said if I buy one and turn up at his in it he will burn it and give me the cash :shock: .....I doubt it though as hes not that mean (I hope) but still I need to scratch my itch on the Moggy first, plus the Marina is of a similarish time to the Sd1 and not "old" enough.

I would also love a beetle, a early 60's one but there in lies a problem, my budget of £2000ish would get me one that needs the same again spending on it, ive bought two before for about £1000 each and they were both rotten, bodged up money pits which I had to sell on as I couldnt afford the repairs.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Had 2 Marinas myself (family hand me downs) much prefer the mk 1 version with vinyl seats and chrome bumpers + saloon, didn't really like the coupe, always wanted a TC but couldn't afford the insurance. :(
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Just popped out at lunch time to drop the TZI off and collect the DTR for MOT, I forgot how well that car looks and drives......it rides so well and its so smooth and easy....part of me hopes now the reserve isnt met.... #-o
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Tim Leech wrote:my best mate HATES them
I find it puzzling how anyone can actively hate a car :? Even if the bit about burning it is just a joke, which I'm sure it is. There are plenty of cars I wouldn't choose to own myself, but I really couldn't care less if other people buy and like them.

I'd be interested to read a Mog Blog - I clutter up mine with plenty of non-BX stuff after all!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

DTR MOT Pass! Horn was awkward but after a tap it tooted in to life but ive supplied a new one, also the bonnet started being a tw*t but a tweak of the clasp got that closing properly again.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Excellent, congratulations. Hope it finds a new home really soon with a fresh ticket on it :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

If you get a Minor, you could argue you've then also owned a Marina. They are VERY similar under the skin!
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

no no no no [-X , engines might be the same but 2 totally different cars in the way they were put together and handle. A proper Morris the moggie with real metal and leather patina and presence , Marina is just a tacky thrown together piece of BL cr-p.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Im with you on the marina Tim,
had two the second a 1.8 t.c.
If I had the money I would so like to buy this just for fun

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151077390925? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

800 sold, made about £100 all told I think, mind you the guys from Newcastle and obviously can't read as he wants to collect it this weekend and pay cash.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

800 went to Newcastle and made it home without an issue im told, seems the aircon works fine as it was a cool 18 degrees in it yesterday....DTR goes tomorrow and theres two Moggys now on eBay I really like, one I am the current high bidder on which finishes today at half past 7..

Went to a local all models classic meet last night at Papplewick near Nottingham in the GT (It officially was the SD1 OC meeting but mines out of MOT and the 800 went), it was the only Citroen there amongst Lamborghinis, ferraris, Minis, chavved up Scoobys and lots of old british stuff (inc 2 lovely Morris 1000's)

The BX got quite a few admiring looks and questions (mostly about the number plate), and a few oooooo's when I stuck it in low when I parked up....two guys remembered about the TZD and GTi's they had taht drive well and went like stink but also how much trouble they had with them....I corrected them of course and mentioned the 30+ BX's Ive had and not one has let me down so must be down to poor maintenance.... One of my SD1 buddies had brought his car and 18 year old son along who though the Mk1 BX dash was retro and very cool! (lots of pics on my facebook)

on the way back at a set of lights a chap in Vauxhall Corsa? pipped his horn, waved and mouthed "thats awesome" and stuck his thumb up! 8)

So all in all a good BX showing!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well im glad thats over, thank to all those who showed up at the National, and a big thanks to Sandre, Mark and Mike Sims who helped on the gate, Jane for transporting Michael down and anyone else that contributed. Seems you can please them all and some not so positive comments have been posted on the CCC forum which I have to say have annoyed me a bit, I have asked those who werent happy to offer their services next time to ensure it meets with their approval.....we shall see!

It was a tiring weekend and thank god for BX HQ which was invaluable as a base, I shall be investing in a bigger tent as M has quite taken to camping or maybe even a trailer tent....

It was good to catch up with some old friends of the BXC, namely Matt Smith aka Stinkwheel, Charlotte, Doc (in usual good alcohol fuelled spirits) and Mr Rutherford, who is all grown up, bought a house, and has a lovely partner (whos name I forget sorry) and a blonde haired mini-me of a son called Dominic who is a cheeky chappie and very adorable and another one on the way!

The DTR went off to pastures new on Friday, the buyer has a history of Citroens (owns a 2cv van) but also loves Honda's (each to their own) and he was very pleased with the car, I have to say I think I may regret selling it but its time to scratch the Morris itch and get something the wife may drive (hes under orders to broaden his horizons vehicle wise), which we will be collecting Margo (as she has been named) tomorrow evening from Sale near manchester as long as the many pictures are a fair representation of the car, I havent seen it myself yet but havent sent him any money either!

Need to get the TZI on the road as the GT needs a rest, shes done over 3000 miles this year which is over my mileage plus that front caliper is sticking again and the hanbrake cable keeps coming off!

Embaressingly enough I won best BX (especially as I was doing the concours presentations), which i hadnt envisaged, purely as I think there are better examples out there, the 6000 mile GT and Garys Meteor for a couple, maybe its the wacky colour or number plate, plus its a well known car, anyway thanks to the voters!.

Once the moggy is ship shape I really need to get back on to decorating Leech towers which has various bits of stripped wallpaper and sanded doors needing fettling!#

Cant make Stratford due to work (unless I can manage a few hours Saturday) but should be at CXM unless something happens between now and then.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It was a good rally from what I saw on Sunday - the only complaints I heard were the distance to the toilets and the coffee stand - I understand from a very nice (and large!) family having a BBQ opposite our enrance that the building where we had the raffle etc. used to be open as a toilet block.

Hope the Moggy is a good un - certainly looks OK in the pics!

As for trailer tents, if you decide to go in that direction can I suggest a personal favorite of mine - a Rapido Comfortmatic. They're more of a folding caravan really, but pack away small, can be tipped up for storage, should be light enough to go behind the Moggy, are cheap to buy and are the right age to be a period unit with a BX!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!