GSA for sale

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

jonathan_dyane wrote:OK David, I've broken the 205,
How did you manage that?!

The BX I'm referring to is a slightly tatty white 1989 BX DTR turbo. Mechanically good with a fairly recent cambelt, waterpump, coolant, gear oil, and various other odds and sods. Engine oil/filter done every 5k. Good tyres too. Interior is clean and tidy too. It has slightly under 10 months MOT and slightly over 10 months Tax.

IMO it has to be worth an absolute minimum of £460 if you include the £160's worth of tax into the equation. (IE I'd expect to get £300 for it without the tax.) As and when you come to get rid of it, I'd quite like to have first refusal on it.

How soon are you hoping to do this? Ideally I need to get another vehicle roadworthy before I loose the BX, as I dislike only having one road legal vehicle at any one time, especially if its my van.

Also, Whereabouts are you Jonathan? I'm waaay down south, so it's not going to be easy if you're in Scotland.
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

The clutch cable on the 205 has snapped because the action is far too heavy due to it being the original aged clutch and a longterm coolant leak from the bypass hose onto the gearbox with the previous owner having goosed the clutch operating shaft's bearings.

I'm going to replace the cable tomorrow, but that isn't really the answer, and I don't really have the time or facilities to do the clutch in the near future. For all the 205 is a good car I miss the comfort and practicality of a hydraulic Citroen, and the economy (of the 205) isn't as much better than a BX as I'd hoped. Also having joined this group has now made me hanker after another BX...

The price you ask seems fair for what sounds like a well-sorted BX, and rest assured I would give you first refusal if I were to sell it. I do maintain my cars carefully too so I wouldn't be abusing it till it broke then abandoning it!

The GSA is currently in Durham at my parents, but if you definately wanted it I could tax it and bring it down to Liverpool where I live, which I suspect would be rather closer for you!

As far as gaining an unroadworthy vehicle goes, rest assured that with the (supplied) driveshaft gaiters replaced the car could be reliably driven (almost) anywhere; it probably sounds worse than it is in the advert because I have listed every fault that I know will need doing, in the hope of making the buyer aware that they are buying something which needs a little love, instead of getting in out of their depth and leaving it rotting...

I would hope to be able to make the transfer within a few weeks, but obviously the timescale could be dictated more by how long it takes you to sort out another vehicle ;-)

Let me know what you think...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

PS, what is the BX like with regard to hydraulics (lumpy steering, creaky struts, leaks, flat spheres etc), and how is she off for structural rust (front inner wings, rear of sills, boot floor, rear innerwings, bootfloor etc)?

Cheers,
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

jonathan_dyane wrote:PS, what is the BX like with regard to hydraulics (lumpy steering, creaky struts, leaks, flat spheres etc), and how is she off for structural rust (front inner wings, rear of sills, boot floor, rear innerwings, bootfloor etc)?
The hydraulics are fine. The steering is marginally stiffer on a cold morning, but once warm is fine. Struts are all OK, No LHM leaks at all (replacement octopus about 3 years ago) and the spheres are all reasonable (although at least 3 years old, if not more). The ride is smooth.

There is some corrosion in the body, not least the hole I found in the boot floor today. I'll weld that one up at some point, and also need to have a look at a rather odd hole hidden under the door seal of the OSR door. There's also some corrosion around the fuel fillter that I must address at some point. The front inner wings are fine though, as is the whole of the floor (had a good poke at it when it was up in the air for MOT.)

I ought to warn you though... although the interior is clean and tidy, and it's mechanically quite good, the bodywork is tatty. There's paint flaking off the bumpers, grinding residue in the bonnet (that's my fault) and the front wings just don't want to clean up. Personally, I don't care what a car looks like as long as it's good to drive, hence the reason I've done nothing with the bodywork. It's not disasterously bad, but it's a fair way from tidy.
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Thankyou for your candid description of the car. Like you, I am most concerned with a cars mechanical and structural condition than it's cosmetics, so a level of tattyness does not dissuade me; what I really want (and need) is a car that is sound and will be reliable and dependable, and it sounds like your BX would certainly fit the bill.

With regard to asking price, I was looking for £400 for the GSA, which as one of the sounder and more original examples I think it is worth. Although it is still MOT'd it is currently sorned, so how does it sound that if you wish me to bring the car to Liverpool I put 6 months tax on it for you (£63.25) and we do a straight swap, or alternatively, if you wish to keep the car of the road for now and don't require it taxed I could then give you the £60 cash? If this were the case, I wouldn't be able to get it down to Liverpool however...

As far as timescale goes, with the new clutch cable I would expect the 205 to soldier on reasonably well for the moment, so we're not in a desperate hurry, although if it suits you it would be nice to get things sorted within, say, a month or so?

Let me know your thoughts, and if you would like any more information on the GSA don't hesitate to ask! Out of interest, what type of interior does the car have? I can't remember whether the DTR Turbo had the grey tweed or GTI style seats... A few pics of the BX would be appreciated.

Cheers,
andmcit
BXpert

Post by andmcit »

Wow - a working GSA!!

I DO really fancy that myself. Don't suppose you fancy a Xantia!? :roll: :wink:
Something you're serious about David? Sam?

You've got to realise that you HAVE TO TRAVEL these days to get hold
of something unusual/nice. It's not just going to land on your lap; you'd
probably have it already if it was local!! :D

Andrew
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

It's a fact that sometimes you have to travel, when I got this GSA I had to drive all the way to Grantham in my father's ancient Merc 307D pickup armed with armco barriers to use as ramps to load the thing; one or two heart stopping moments, but thankfully we got it on and off without disaster!

I'm sorry, but I have no interest in a Xantia; aside from their greater weight and corresponding thirst I cannot get away with the seats... They are a very competent car however.
andmcit
BXpert

Post by andmcit »

:lol:

Pointless suggesting an Xm or Cx then!

Andrew
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Still available, now 3 months test, make me an offer ;-)
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Whats the difference between an 'ECO' engine and the normal flat 4?
Over and out from me
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Ian_Fearn wrote:Whats the difference between an 'ECO' engine and the normal flat 4?
There was two versions of the 1299cc flat 4, the earlier 'red label' engine, and the later 'eco'. The eco had different cams and carb jetting, which made it more economical (at least on paper) to the 'red label' engine, although it has a couple less bhp, and unless properly set up is prone to flat spots (mine is ok tho!)