Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes Mark I have checked pressures, but will double check
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Trims arrived today. Don't want to open the original packaging! Look good though... Things of beauty :)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Turner Gallery exhibit? :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Talking B____X

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Oh no too good for that :)

Need to give the car a little more of a fettle before it's worthy lol! ;)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Just make sure you keep this one. :)
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

If I don't I'll keep the trims ;)

The way things are I can see me keeping this one for a while.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Any feedback on the Michelins fitted? I'll have to run for cover if you don't find them half decent.. :wink:

Good luck tracing down that annoying last leak. Mind you it was so cold yesterday evn the LHM might have thought about freezing!.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The Michelin Energy tyres are very good - even in the close-to-freezing temps we've had recently. And in the wet they've been very reassuring. I got a good deal on these, so I would urge anyone in the market for tyres to at least check out best price (ATS being Michelin owned often have promotions) for Michelins. Mine worked out at £240 for four fitted etc.

I sorted the slight diesel 'weep' from the rear (pushing home the joins and generally doing a bit of a tightening at the point where the pipes go up to into the body), and have reapplied the black Waxoyl where it had been a bit washed off. So time will tell.

But there is one more leak: driver's side near the wheel, LHM's finding it's way out somewhere. New strut, return pipe, brake flexible hose, discs and pads mean there has been quite a bit of activity there (and I haven't discounted some LHM making its way from the top of the tank) so something's not quite 'there' yet and needs some investigation: when I can get it up on a ramp and we can have a good root around.

The car drives well now and after the last bit of incontinence is dealt with (when I say last; I mean current!), then it's 'good to go' until the spring when the sunroof (drain tubes) gets looked at.

I think I might need to change the filler neck before long, and the intercooler could do with a clean, but for now. The list is pretty much crossed off for the time being.

'Challenge specific' work will include wiring in the CB and fitting a temp gauge and fan override switch, wiring in the flexible map-reading light (well, I have one, why not?) and fitting a fire proof parcel shelf (lol - only kidding ;) )
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Drivers side wheel is octopus viscinity. :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The things I'd check or double check for that leak would be flexy to rigid pipe connector - ensure it actually is tight, and not a bit of grit on thread. Also it is not impossible for a small bit of dirt to stop the return pipe seating properly on the strut, I've had this once even though I thought I had been very careful at cleaning the seat area, and new ie soft returns. Was a GSF one mind you.... :lol: not a genuine.

Also had a brake caliper weep through the piston seal after changing pads. Removing the pads, pushing the piston out slightly and cleaning with brake cleaner, then pushing it back etc sorted it. Initially I thought I'd have to change the seal, but I found almost zero scoring or wear so took a chance on just cleaning. It's done at least 40k since with no recurrance. Note, it occurred straight after changing the pads.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I can recommend cleaning the inter cooler, very quick and easy and on the green hornet it produced noticeable results.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

I run michelin energies on my tzd, really happy with the wet grip! My 4x4 is fitted with pirellis which are dreadful in the wet, i'll be replacing them with michelins once i've completed its minor refurb.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think I'll be looking at an Octopus replacement (unless Dennis does one of his wonderful repairs)... as the loss of LHM is noticeable under the car. However it'll have to wait until the warmer weather to do that. In the meantime I can get the Speedlines cleaned up and re-shod. Thinking of going the Kleber route: Quadraxer all-seasons, but not going the 195 profile route: sticking to 185's. That'll be fine on the 6J rims and they're cheaper that size.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Bit the bullet and bought these from Citroen - got a trade discount from Quest but not much :( (So worked out at £166.84 - eek!)... but I do intend to sort LHM leaks out for good! lol and a trip to Rob Moss to fit this mass of black spaghetti is on the cards....

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

New cephalopods? :)
Mark Smith