Is it really 2 months since the last update? Time flies when you're having fun, or so I hear at least.
Managed to sort the rough running on the BX after a cold start, with advice from BX Bandit. The Xantia engine has 'afterglow' type glow plus which are designed to stay on after a cold start - the BX ones will go out as soon as the starter is operated. As I was using the BX glow plug relay the plugs in the replacement engine were turning off straight away, which is not a problem on the old engine as the BX pump advances the timing when cold. The Xantia pump doesn't, and instead relies on the afterglow to keep the engine running smoothly. Fitted a Xantia relay, and perfect starting!
I've also been doing some tree felling, we want to plant a few more broad leafed trees to replace the ageing pine trees planted by the Forestry Commission when they owned the place. We've had several blow down so now is the time I think. It'll be a while before it looks good with new trees but hopefully be worth it.
Unfortunately one starting leaning the wrong way, and sort of fell onto the caravan we are using as a log store...
No damage done, but a reminder that it's not as easy as it looked on Axemen!
We've now got a dog, who is taking a bit of time to train, but it's all worth it. He's so friendly and good natured.
I've also been re-laying the floor in the van - it will be more practical to have the most used area in laminate, and we have some nice carpet left over from our previous house to do the rest in. That will replace the existing carpet that suffered whilst using it to carry building supplies.
What else have I been up to? Well, I've finished a job (which is a miracle in itself) that I started about 2 years ago, putting some steps into the lower part of our garden. All the bits of slate were found nearby, and the advantage of living where we do is that slate chippings are £3.50 per ton, so the whole job cost less than £20! Lots of blood and sweat though.
Lastly, I noticed that the towing sockets on the BX looked a bit crusty, although the trailer lights still worked (dimly). After taking them off I found they looked a good deal less shiny than when I fitted them 6 years ago!
Looks like a combination of galvanic corrosion between the brass terminals and the aluminium bodies, coupled with the electrolytic corrosion from the fact the terminals are live has not done the bodies any favours. I had a spare (plastic!) set which went on fairly smoothly and all is sorted now.
The BX is going back on the road next weekend, Lana is taking the dog to work with her so she has pinched the Discovery - as a result I have to squeeze into her Megane! Not my favourite car although considering it's a 2 litre 16v petrol I've been averaging nearly 40mpg on mountain roads which is quite impressive.