Citroen BX TZD Turbo Break

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Just out of interest, did you have to adjust the bodywork at all to fit those wheels? I have similar wheels but with 195s, and had to 'tease' out the wheelarch lips slightly - bit of a faff to change tyres as well but worth it for the extra grip over 165s.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

That looks right nice Stu! It's not quite clear to me what's happening with the wiper - it looks different but where does the water go? Never inspected the 405 set up
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Green.

Green I be! :mrgreen:

Sorry I couldn't join you but I'm sure there'll be another opportunity. There's always something that needs fettling on the BX: although a damn sight better, it's still not 100% in the front suspension department - still clonking from somewhere despite the new wishbone bushes and the steering wheel moves around over rough surfaces. And I *need* that Peugeot 405 mod.

Hope the new pimped car does you proud matey :)

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

mat_fenwick wrote:Just out of interest, did you have to adjust the bodywork at all to fit those wheels? I have similar wheels but with 195s, and had to 'tease' out the wheelarch lips slightly - bit of a faff to change tyres as well but worth it for the extra grip over 165s.
No, 185s fit just fine. Looking at blackcircles.com, they also seem to be slightly cheaperthan 165s! I guess they're more common.
toddao wrote:That looks right nice Stu! It's not quite clear to me what's happening with the wiper - it looks different but where does the water go? Never inspected the 405 set up
It's much neater on a 405. Rather than just hose with holes poked in it, there's a metal spraybar which clips onto the wiper and spreads the water neatly onto the screen - rather like a lawn sprayer, I imagine!
mnde wrote:There's always something that needs fettling on the BX: although a damn sight better, it's still not 100% in the front suspension department - still clonking from somewhere despite the new wishbone bushes and the steering wheel moves around over rough surfaces.
They all do that, Sir.

Seriously - mine does that clonk-into-reverse thing and it also has new wishbone bushes. It also leaks diesel, but given that it got 256 miles out of a mere 24 litres at the weekend, I'm not that bothered. David was driving for most of that, too - clearly TDs like being spanked!
mnde wrote:And I *need* that Peugeot 405 mod.
Yes. You do.

Thanks for the kind comments - I still think it's an absolutely brilliant car and I think I got a bargain!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Last but not least!

David did this while my back was turned at the weekend but I didn't get a photo until today - I didn't even notice it until I got in the car to drive home!
It's a small thing, but it makes the back of the car look much neater and improves visibility out of the rear windscreen.

Pug 309 Mk 2 wiper arm, I think?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

stuart_hedges wrote:a metal spraybar
Plastic.....
stuart_hedges also wrote:Pug 309 Mk 2 wiper arm, I think?
Actually, that's your original BX rear wiper arm straightened out. It's not *quite* straight, which means it parks nicely along the bottom of the screen. If I can modify the motor to give a greater sweep, then it would be worth making it dead straight and parking right down in the blackened area.

TBH what it really needs is a wiper hole in the middle of the screen, and a 180 degree wiper sweep to clear the whole screen, just like a Mercedes estate car, and not unlike the Xantia estate rear wiper. Would mean drilling a new hole in the screen and having to put a plug in the old one. TBH I think there are more important things to do!
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hmmm, drilling toughened glass... Best not to use the SDS drill for that one then!

It does look rather neat - I suppose it doesn't wipe quite so far up the screen, not that I can see that being too much of a problem. TBH I would be glad if it was on the road, and the rear wiper was the only thing I had to worry about. :?
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I had the pleasure of driving Stuart's new wheels yesterday evening after meeting for a quick bevvy. Really impressed.

That extra grunt when the turbo kicks in in 2nd gear is quite surprising, and was jealous to find out that at 70 mph the motor is spinning at less than 3000 revs, and is nice and refined.

Nice one :)

Mark.
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

Pindimar's to blame

Post by pindimar »

...and happy to take the blame I think your car looks much classier for the sddition of the "Speedlines" too Stuart

Greg F (Pindimar)

P.S. Great pictures of the Morris Dancers et al
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Thanks, Greg :)

I'm just back from a weekend away at a music festival which I attended, of course, in proper Citroen style! I've always gone to Cropredy in something interesting except last year when I was in a sodding Vauxhall but this was my first time in a BX (would have been Snoopy last year but he died just a few weeks previously).

My photos of the whole event can be found here (and more will be following once the film from the SLR has been developed), but here's a BXC related selection (on chronological order)!

For Greg, who enjoyed my other Morris photos, here's Cropredy Scratch Morris. None of us had danced together before and our sides all have slightly different styles so there was a certain amount of general cocking up. Great fun though, and a brilliant way to meet people as I'd gone on my own this year.

Camp Hedges.

Snoopy stands guard.

One for Jon to pinch and use as an avatar.

Because we all like photos of pretty girls, here's me with Jeana Leslie and Siobhan Miller, winners of this year's Radio 2 Young Folk Award. They were absolutely brilliant singers, and lovely girls too. They know a friend of mine (name-drop, name-drop, blah, blah) and were really pleased to have met a friend-of-a-friend!

Back to the campsite to drop some stuff off, and this lovely, honest, Dutch-registered Traction was there at the end of my row.

Flickr's front end seems to have thrown a wobbler and it's approaching bed-time so I'm going to just post this as it stands for the moment. More to follow!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Typical. I decide to give Flickr just one more try, and it's back up.

Just for Mat - LEVELLERS!

When did you last see one of these?

A better picture of the Dutch Traction.

Time for another pretty girl, I think. Here's Julie Fowlis, who sings ancient Gaelic songs. She has an amazing voice, the songs are beautiful and she and her band are superb musicians. She is also so polite and well brought-up that when asked for a photo she even put her arm around the damp, smelly Morris Man.

Things were quite muddy by this point.

Back to the campsite and what do I find but something suitable for the conditions!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Just realised I missed one more of the BX I'd meant to post! This was Saturday morning, contemplating the rain through a truly debilitating absinthe hangover. It's a long time since I've felt quite that rough.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

stuart_hedges wrote:Back to the campsite and what do I find but something suitable for the conditions!
A Radio-body 101 FC. Tres cool. Did you hear it run by any chance? They are often re-engined with diesel lumps to get 25-30mpg, but originally come with a Rover V8 which sounds fabulous but achieves 8mpg!
this might be a signature
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

DavidRutherford wrote:A Radio-body 101 FC. Tres cool. Did you hear it run by any chance? They are often re-engined with diesel lumps to get 25-30mpg, but originally come with a Rover V8 which sounds fabulous but achieves 8mpg!
Sadly not, it was there before I arrived and still there when I left. That's a flag attached to the front, not an aerial, by the way ;)
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hi Stu,
I fully agree with you about Julie Fowlis......she's bloody fantastic, both as a singer and a person! :D
I met her up at Drumnadrochit last year, when she was on the support bill for Runrig's "Beat the Drum" open air concert (For those who don't know...Im a Runrig fanatic!).
I play her CD..."Cuilidh".....a hell of a lot, in the car.
There's something magical about her voice, and her band really give her superb backing (well, they should...her hubby is one of 'em!)

Great to see you had a LOT of fun.......without being completely BX-oriented!! :lol:

Dave