Classic Insurance

Anything about BXs
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Matt H wrote:Well my policy is up for renewal in a couple of months... so it should go down hopefully. You are not far off your guess Tim, but I don't really want to go into specifics... I'll get depressed thinking about it
I can imagine. I was paying over a grand for a 14RE and that was back in 2000!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

The really funny thing is that the AX is only about £20 more a month... and considering how much faster it is, and how much more likely I am to crash it, I find it bizarre really :lol:
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

My txd is via a broker, & i've not found anyone either online or elsewhere that has tended to beat them for price, so i'll give them a go, it should be quite a bit cheaper than lancaster.

Got to watch out for points as well, rumour has it that 6 points if you have full ncd doesnt make any odds as so many motorists have been caught by speed cameras, whereas if you are a newish driver, then the premiums do go up by loads.

To date i remain accident free & have no points, my statement is bound to spell doom now :lol: . Even my 1st car only cost me £400 fully comp, it was a 1litre polo though, i was offered because of my age 1yrs no claims discount on the premium as part of the deal, odd, but i accepted quickly.

Just been reading that there has been a huge increase in new driver bans, 1200 a month. Only about half do a re-test, so i wonder how many unlicensed new drivers are on our roads?

For those who dont know, if you accumulate 6 points within the 1st 2 years, you'll lose your licence. And they have to re-take the entire test & if you pass, the points still remain on your new license, nice eh!! That should be an incentive to never speed or have anything careless happen to you whilst driving, otherwise huge expense in re-test & insurance premiums, ouch!!

I must admit i was pretty careful when driving for those 1st 2years (not that i'm not careful now), one to avoid any points & to avoid having any accident, thank god i managed it, but so many close calls with virtually everyone of them caused by other careless idiots....

MattH, speed of vehicle doesnt appear to play much on insurers minds, they cost in loads of other factors, such as repair bills, crashworthiness for medical expenses, statistics of that particular vehicle regarding overall insurance pay-outs. Sometimes you can get some slightly strange anomolies where similar cars by different manufacturers vary in premium amounts by quite a margin.

If you can garage your car, take pass plus, have a thatcham approved alarm & limit your mileage & avoid commuting, you should be able to half your premium quite easily. Best of luck
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Matt H wrote:Well my policy is up for renewal in a couple of months... so it should go down hopefully. You are not far off your guess Tim, but I don't really want to go into specifics... I'll get depressed thinking about it
Matt enjoy being 17! yes you get cheaper car insurance when your 30 odd, but you also have mortgage payments, credit card bills and everything starts to sag! :shock:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

What Tim says, except the sagging :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Lol remember mulley we have met on a few occasions :wink:
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

I got a good deal today. I'd been on the comparison sites a few times and some of the quotes looked excellent. However when trying to buy the policy the premiums mysteriously "jumped" in cost by as much as £30 :evil: I had another look last night and got fixed up today at £165 fully comp classic policy with Chaucer Insurance. The value hasn't been agreed yet as I have to take piccies and post them back. But even at that price I am more than pleased after quite a few false starts.

I told them the value was £800 :roll: but after doing some renovation and at 55k miles it will be worth more than what I paid for it. I did look at the Lancaster site and was quoted just shy of £300.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
c90cassette
Confirmed BX'er

bx insurance

Post by c90cassette »

hi my citroen is off the road at present but if i had renewed mt insurance with footman james would have been £150 pa fully comp limited miles inc breakdown cover.they class classics as over 15 yrs.if car over 25 yrs they give unlimited miles but no bx is that old yet but price seems to drop to around £100 even for larger cars.
hi i am rob in liverpool 1989 bx 17 dtr turbo
roy.hassell
BXpert

Insurance.

Post by roy.hassell »

Just for your information on both mine and my wife's 16Valvers when we had them, I always paid less than £200.00 Fully Comp with only £150.00 on main stream insurance and that was for several years.
My 1986 BMW 628CSi is insured on a Classic Car Policy on fully comp and this year cost £108.15.
roy.hassell
BXpert

Insurance

Post by roy.hassell »

Typo, sorry.
On previous posting I missed the word ' excess ' after the £150.00
Roy.
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

I've just insured my 14TGE with FJ as well. £127.50 which seems pretty good to me. They were also brilliant with my Acadiane (similar price). Both policies have work use on them as well (I carry patients at work).

Rob
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Insurance costs have always seemed completely random to me. Whenever it's time to renew I get as many quotes as possible, and they seem to vary wildly. I think I've changed insurer every time I've changed vehicle or had to renew.

The only constant is that Norwich Union quote me not happy, but fall-off-the-chair laughing - their quotes are insanely high.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

stuart_hedges wrote:Insurance costs have always seemed completely random to me. Whenever it's time to renew I get as many quotes as possible, and they seem to vary wildly. I think I've changed insurer every time I've changed vehicle or had to renew.

The only constant is that Norwich Union quote me not happy, but fall-off-the-chair laughing - their quotes are insanely high.
Same.

The last time I rang Norwich Union, after giving me a quote which was *double* my best quote, the helpful Indian operative informed me that I could greatly reduce my premium with a £1000 voluntary excess (this on an elderly Dyane which I had already told them was worth ITRO £800).

I pointed out to the gent that taking the argument to its logical conclusion, I could save even more money by not bothering with insurance. Fule...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Just to resurect this thread, its time to renew the GT and the valvers insuance, sadly my friendly insurance agents prices have gone up considerably in the past 12 months, by 50% in some instances so it gave cause to shop around.

The TRS as we know is insured with Lancaster who came back at £105, at the same time I got a quote for the GT, same money! which wasnt due until now, rang them up to take up the quote, which has since expired.

No worries I though, a new quote was issued at £260! :evil: HOW MUCH! Must be a mistake, spoke to a rather unhelpful girl "computer says no " type to query this, apparently the GT is now longer underwritten by the cheaper insuarnce agent. Oh and they want £260 for the valver aswell! which is £80 more than my renewal.

I gave Footman James a call, comprehensive for the GT is £115 and the valver is £145 with legal cover, european breakdown and 30 days continental cover, and agree value of £1000 each.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Pah, why waste all that money? Trade insurance is for winners.
Vauxhall apologist.