TZD Clutch Issues

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The cable came from AEP direct with the clutch. I compared them and couldn't see any difference between the 2.

The more i talk it through with people the more i think i've got a dodgy clutch.

I had a similar problem with a 2cv i owned a few years back, again a Valeo clutch. The next owner changed the clutch and problem solved.

Cant believe i've got to do this all over again. I think i'm gonna have to live with it till xmas now. No time :cry:
Over and out from me
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Maybe it'll be like the tailor used to say "it'll ride up with wear Sir" . :) :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Ian_Fearn wrote:Cant believe i've got to do this all over again.
If it was a clutch bought from a motor factors, and you can prove it to be faulty, then you can legitimately claim the number of "book" hours to re-fit the clutch. You should also get a free replacement one.

Often what's been done with this in the past is that you pay for your new clutch and fit it. If that solves the problem then you claim back the cost of the clutch and the hours to change it.
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'm inclined to think that it is a problem with the pressure plate and flywheel not being perfectly square in relation to each other. I wonder (although I think this is unlikely) if the release bearing is sitting correctly - if it is putting uneven pressure on the diaphragm then this could cause judder.
One thing to check if and when you take it out is the number of straps in each set that attach the pressure plate to the cover, and make sure they all have an equal number.
I used to work for a clutch manufacturer, and that was a fairly common reason for return under warranty. (Although the main cause was wrong bits in the box!) Incidentally they used to employ a guy whose job was soley to try and reject as many warranty returns as possible. Even down to the instruction from on high that he was to accept NO returns in a particular month! Which, to his credit he refused to do.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Valeo clutches come with a 2 year warranty, 1st year is parts and labour. 2nd year is parts only.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Mat, can you explain how the release bearing might not be seated correctly?? I wonder if theres anything in it. I've fitted a few clutchs but never one with this style of clip on bearing before.

I'm not bothered about the money, i'll never get my time back!
Over and out from me
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think it is unlikely, as the only way I can see it happening is if the clip was damaged which would be easily noticeable. The bearing should self centre itself to some extent if it is clipped on correctly.
We did get quite a few broken clips back under warranty, both from breakage in the box and from fitting damage though!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Thanks Mat, like you say though i think its unlikely....

I need some time now to get the box back out. The weathers not doing me any favours at the moment and running that V8 Range Rover everyday isnt very appealling financially!
Over and out from me
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Is there anything appealing about a V8 Range Rover? - if so what?
(Sorry - they've always seemed to be one of the most pointless things ever made to me - would I ever spend £40,000 and drive cross country - or if I want to drive fast on the road - buy a proper car rather than what amounts to an overweight blamanche)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

jeremy wrote:Is there anything appealing about a V8 Range Rover?
Yep. Lots. If used as they were designed they are just about the most useful vehicle of evAr.
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

OK, I know we are going off topic, and this isn't even a Range Rover (but it is underneath), but just to prove that 4x4s DO have their uses...this is me pulling a (lightly laden) 7.5 ton recovery truck out of the mud.

It's hugely useful for towing as well, feel very stable even towing a 3 ton trailer. OK, I'll stop being all defensive now, and agree that probably the vast majority of the newer 4x4s aren't used in anger. More (IMO) for a perceived feeling of safety and pose value.
By the way, mine (and I'm sure Ian's as well) cost rather less than £40,000! :wink:

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Mine is slow and spartan, will pull a house down and carries serious amounts of weight! Its great....
Over and out from me
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Must be better than any of the ones I've ever driven!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

If it helps, when I changed the clutch on my diesel 205 just before I sold it, I was pretty pissed off to discover that it was juddering (cheap crapo euro car parts 35 quid clutch). After a couple of hundred miles however it was fine...

Incidentally the knackered clutch I removed had a bizarre spring loaded segment in the centre of the clutch plate which had broken up to the extent that not only was there ridiculous clutch snatch, but also a nasty vibration at high speeds, caused I guess by the ability for the clutch plate to end up parked in an off-centre location.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski