Changing the accumulator - simple eh?

BX Tech talk
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Changing the accumulator - simple eh?

Post by Aerodynamica »

Not this one! I have done this job countless times on GSAs, CXs Xantias and a previous BX (a 14E) but this evening on the BX16 it all went wrong!

I could see that access was tricky since they decided to surround the sphere with pipes, an engine, a radiator and a bit of subframe that joins to the cross member. But I just managed to get the truck spec. oil filter wrench around it slightly insecurely. Indeed if it hadn't been for the fact that it was not tight I'd still be there...

However once loosened there was no route to remove the old sphere due to a coiled bit of pipe in the way. Fine, I'll do a bit of subtle bending to create space (balls to removing the fugger)

It was after bending it back that this happened
shit. this was supposed to be one of my famous 'just before dinner' jobs that turned out to be a right kok. The pipe in question is the one that goes from the FDV valve to the pinion valve.

Thinking I had crippled the car and I'd need to leave it in the garage until I sourced a replacement pipe I went into a bad mood and had some tea and a rummage through my spare odds and ends. I found a spare pipe and went to check the length - it looked like it might even fit until I realised it was one of the 9mm union pipes - darn it. Then I checked back and realised that this WAS the right diameter and union nut! great!
spare pipe here.

Of course, the pipe was a total 'mare to remove, especially at the steering pinion end. It is completely inaccessable from all angles and you can get a 9mm spanner to it from behind the sub frame but only manage turns of about 10 deg a time... it was going to be a long task. The FDV connection was easier but still a swine to reach as it's higher up and again has no room to swing a spanner. Removing the new sphere again helped a bit (I would've done the ball bearing reseat job if I actually had a brass punch) then after removing the 2 pipe clips the thing fell apart at the leak - that's how marginal the pipe must have been!
Image You can see that the corrosion on the pipe has happened where the anti vibration sponge rubber thing sits.
Here you can just about see how thin the pipe had become

I believe the pressure supply to the pinion valve is less than the line pressure of the rest of the circuit and that is why it didn't blow out previously.

Anyway after a huge amount of effort to get the 'new' pipe back in - it was so much harder due to the fact that I was continually reforming it to fit the original. Couldn't use orig. as a template as it was bent beyond recognition.

All fixed now and the accumulator has made a massive difference to the brake pedal feel, the suspension moves without putting the warning light on and the HP pump is a bit quieter.

Moral of the story: when people tell you that all your old 'junk' of spares etc is , well junk, ignore them. Those parts WILL come in useful one day!

I don't know what the pipe fitted originally (possibly the pipe on a GSA that goes from the PRV to the security valve) but it was worth keeping in the dungeon with all the other crap.
:)
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Well done Graeme. I haven't had the "pleasure" of doing the accumulator on mine. I left it to Mr Rutherford and thankfully it all went smoothly.

I'm so glad I phailed to DIY the job at home. I remember trying to get a chain wrench around it to loosen it with the car on the ground... It would have been a mare trying to unscrew it from the top! In comparison, the accumulator job on a GS is a walk in the park and I've done it myself several times.

But of course, as a previous G owner you must have felt right at home with restricted access and turning nuts one flat at a time :lol:

Mark.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I've experienced the exact same problem, we decided to fit a new accumulator sphere one night before the MOT the following morning.

So at 10 o'clock at night we were there struggling to get the pipe out of the pinion valve like you say.

But could I be bothered to take pictures? erm NO.

Full credit to you for sharing this with us!
They think it's all over, it is now!
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Cheers guys,
Full credit to you for sharing this with us!
we must share our pain.. like a support group :D
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Well done graeme, I'm no mechanic but remember changing the starter motor on my BXGTi one COLD winters evening, what I thought would be a 10 mins job took 3 hours, involving removing the radiator, bumper fan etc to get access, again made extra awkward due the hp pipes etc.

I didnt have the use of a ramp and the car was sat on the deck and immobile as the old starter was completely U/S. Great sense of achievement thought after I connected the battery it started first time, took me about hours to thaw out mind.

We must be mad ey? :shock:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

We are mad but it has been worth it as the steering works better now and the suspension is better.

And the car stayed up all night and through today! this was it before the sun went down at about 17:20 ish

Though I opened one of the doors to open the bonnet to get the RP number and the front suspension lowered a bit - must have slightly sticky struts.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Very tidy car that. I thought they were all PINK! :D :D :D
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I thought they were all PINK!
Not if there's enough paint thickness left (there usually is) and Tcut is applied correctly.....
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.