Hydraulic query - poss FDV but need advice

BX Tech talk
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

You're a smart man/ woman. Trouble is I can't get Audacity to work on a Mac. Last time I had my old Compaq laptop in use it died with the infamous blue screen memory dump :cry: but your method is so cunning that I'm tempted to dust it off and have a go!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Dual boot dual boot!
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

It might be worth checking in with SourceForge again as there appears to be good support for the Mac,
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac
If you still have problems, you can always email me the recording and I will calculate the RPM for you.

David
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

MILD UPDATE,

While waiting for successive layers of paint to dry on the BX's RH rear tinted C pillar window, I decided to tighten the hydraulic pump belt.

I was pretty surprised at how much quieter it became after this, but more crucially, the constant HISSS thing had been eliminated while the auto choke was on slightly higher idle. It settled down when heated and the hissing, although not totally improved had got a bit better! I think the pump output is increased now and it's helping.

One stage further?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I wish I'd read this sooner Aero! I had a similar issue on a TZD. A quick blip on the throttle would stop the 'hisssssssssssss' when the valve lifted. Since adjusting the idle speed (slightly increased) then the valve would cut in/out as it's supposed to. This echoes your idle/auto choke related experience!!!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Aerodynamica wrote:While waiting for successive layers of paint to dry on the BX's RH rear tinted C pillar window,
Does that mean you've decided to paint over the plastic window? If so, what about the LH side?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

-good question Phil! and you're not gonna like the answer (unless you want a laff)

I decided to experiment with various 'treatments' on the RH (worst) one. Engine cleaner, nail varnish remover, cleaning agents with a plastic brillo pad all no no avail - only mild improvement was the change from crusty and cracked surface to dull opaque surface - still couldn't see through and it still looked shit.

So I have temporarily painted it black. It looks good (from a distance) but since the LH side C window was in slightly better order I left it!

Both will be replaced as soon as I get replacement plastics for them but for now this will do..

I need a pair of those panels!!!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Well to dig up a dead thread.

I'm still getting the Hssss at idle :evil:

It is accompanied by pretty slow suspension. Fitting the brand new HP pump has helped and the LHM suction pipe checked and refitted and additionally the pump drive belt retightened but still there are times where it just goes Hssssss for ever (though now it does stop/cut out on its own but takes an age)

Now that I understand what/ how the FDv works, I think the 'divided' LHM flow from the pump is not allowing enough output to go to the regulator due to excess leak through from the other route of the divided flow - the pinion valve (or possibly the FDV itself).

I'm keen on knowing about the pinion valve and anyone who's changed it (or reconditioned it with a kit) How much is the kit if it's still available? And do I need to get it through the Citroen stealer?

Also is it a nightmare to change out?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I replaced an FDV with one I reconditioned with the kit and even though cured the leaking. I still had another leak via the rear of the Regulator to fix.

Now I got a dry car but a whole heap of problems with the warning light coming on and failure of the suspension to rise first go. Plus some noise for the Steering rack.

Trouble for me is two things I discoverd he filter in the reservoir was loose and probably been sucking dirty LHM back into the system. Do I also suspect I may have accidently damged the inside of the FDV?

Now I posted this I must look at the mapping to find out where the pipes that were sucking dirty LHM supply.

Once you start playing with the suspension system you noticed how its not easy to cure a what was simple fault?
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Aerodynamica wrote:Fitting the brand new HP pump helped
A brand new pump on a car with only 48k miles ? Don't throw away your old pump !

You say the pump hisses with the system depressurized. This means that there is a back-pressure on the pump which should not be there (the pump is silent when there is no back-pressure then "chatters" when there is).

In other words, the problem is not a leak, but a blockage somewhere in the FDV or PAS. The obvious culprit would be dirt in the FDV filters. Cleaning up the FDV would definitely be my first port of call.

The pinion can be rebuilt, and the joints cost about £30 from Citroën.