breaking bx 16v in nearly mint condition

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I think that is a good choice Kitch.

I considered one of those seriously in 2003, but they were very new then and far too expensive.

So I bought the Pug 406, but that has been doing stirling service, drives great and now it is on LPG costs peanuts to run. Less Sporty, but still fun.

They are a real bargain now, like most large engined cars over 5 years old.

And Mondodos are now less common around here than BMW 3 series.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

DavidRutherford wrote:The Mondildo will be far better to drive on a daily basis, and much more reliable. 80's Fords were utter rubbish IMO, with Vauxhaul being a much better bet. Unfortunalely, 15 years later, Vauxhaul appear to have lost the plot and Fix Or Repair Daily were making much better cars. I'd always have a MK2 Cav over a Sierra any day, but the Mondeo was a much better car than the Vectra.

As for Rover, they went out of business for a very good reason.
Bitch: You know what? Hand on heart I'd agree with that if it were true. However, having owned quite a few Mk2 Mondeos and loads of Vectras the Vectra is a better car, really it is. Ok, my experience was mostly with the low rent versions but Mk2 Mondeos are just a sea of horrible, cheap. flimsy plastic and driving and owning one makes death look appealing. I actually started biking to work the last time I owned one it was so bad.
It was just absolutely horrible to own and drive and that's been my experience of Mk2 Mondeos full stop. Nasty, soul-less rubbish that was without doubt built down to a price rather than up to any disernable spec. The Mk1s were a little better unless you wanted the V6 which had engines that sounded like a skeleton break dancing on a tin roof.

Discount my opinion all you like, after all it's just my opinion but as you've owned a TVR, some old Jap thing (300SX?) and an Alfa you're not exactly in the greeatest position to criticicse are you? :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Arse, quoted the wrong person but still think Vectras are better than Mongdeos!
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

cavmad wrote:
DavidRutherford wrote:The Mondildo will be far better to drive on a daily basis, and much more reliable. 80's Fords were utter rubbish IMO, with Vauxhaul being a much better bet. Unfortunalely, 15 years later, Vauxhaul appear to have lost the plot and Fix Or Repair Daily were making much better cars. I'd always have a MK2 Cav over a Sierra any day, but the Mondeo was a much better car than the Vectra.

As for Rover, they went out of business for a very good reason.
Bitch: You know what? Hand on heart I'd agree with that if it were true. However, having owned quite a few Mk2 Mondeos and loads of Vectras the Vectra is a better car, really it is. Ok, my experience was mostly with the low rent versions but Mk2 Mondeos are just a sea of horrible, cheap. flimsy plastic and driving and owning one makes death look appealing. I actually started biking to work the last time I owned one it was so bad.
It was just absolutely horrible to own and drive and that's been my experience of Mk2 Mondeos full stop. Nasty, soul-less rubbish that was without doubt built down to a price rather than up to any disernable spec. The Mk1s were a little better unless you wanted the V6 which had engines that sounded like a skeleton break dancing on a tin roof.

Discount my opinion all you like, after all it's just my opinion but as you've owned a TVR, some old Jap thing (300SX?) and an Alfa you're not exactly in the greeatest position to criticicse are you? :lol:
Yeah I guessed you meant to quote me!

Fact is I did actually suggest a Vectra SRi to the missus, something like a late 140. Not the V6, as I want to be able to travel more than 5 miles without a head gasket blowing, but just the basic 2.0 thing. However, the g/f doesn't like them and truth be told, I only ever considered them for the space and value. They don't handle aswell as Mondeos and I don't work for Vauxhall, so I can't get bits cheap.
But see thing is, it all boils down to what you prefer, and it was always possible that I'd meet someone who said a Mondeo was dull and that a Vectra wasn't!! :lol: Never thought it possible, but there you go.

But I do, however, believe I'm in a good position to criticise. Yes I owned an Alfa....same Alfa you liked and expressed a slight/passing interest in buying.
I've never owned a 300SX, mainly because no such car exists. I've also never owned a 300ZX, which I guess is what you meant?
TVR, well yes I do own one. Gets driven harder than any other car I have and has been the most reliable. I know you probably don't see the point of a TVR, as you seem to get your speed kicks in a 1.8 n/a diesel BX :wink: but then a TVR was never going to be good with the amount of Vauxhall Cavalier bits that are bolted to it was it? :!: :?:

I'm in the perfect position to criticise anyone or anything....I'm on the net! Easy, isn't it? :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

300ZX/300SX, whatever. yes, I did (and do) take a fancy to an Alfa. Can't remember saying a Vectra wasn't dull, have you been sniffing petrol again or just misquoting for the hell of it? :lol: I di, howver, say that a Vectra was better than a Mondeo, something I will always stand by from experience of both.
I also didn't say I didn't see the point in a TVR, though you must tell me why seemingly virtually every post you ever make seems to include a mention of it.
I'm now convinced your quote button must be playing up, or your computer, because I don't don't 'get my kicks' from a n/a 1.8 diesel BX, I don't even own a BX as it happens!
I do indeed think (most, not all) Vauxhalls are epic but as you appear to be some sort of badge snob (or why make a sneering mention of my admiration of Vauxhalls the first place?) you'd be surprised to know I currently own about eight cars (all old banger types) and only one of those is a Vauxhall. Oddly enough the same one that passed the last two MOTs with only bulbs required, gets hammered daily, doesn't get looked after and yet has been the epitome of reliability.
Can't afford a TVR so maybe I should get something else? I quite fancy something that would appeal to chavs, is incredibly unreliable, has a boot floor that rots quicker than ten day old trout left out in the sun, suffers from a deserved reputation of being owned mostly by cocks. Is there a Saxo owner's club do you know or do I just go straight to my nearest scrappy and buy one from there?
Gotta love the internet where opinions are like arseholes: everybody has one :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

cavmad wrote:300ZX/300SX, whatever. yes, I did (and do) take a fancy to an Alfa. Can't remember saying a Vectra wasn't dull, have you been sniffing petrol again or just misquoting for the hell of it? :lol: I di, howver, say that a Vectra was better than a Mondeo, something I will always stand by from experience of both.
I also didn't say I didn't see the point in a TVR, though you must tell me why seemingly virtually every post you ever make seems to include a mention of it.
I'm now convinced your quote button must be playing up, or your computer, because I don't don't 'get my kicks' from a n/a 1.8 diesel BX, I don't even own a BX as it happens!
I do indeed think (most, not all) Vauxhalls are epic but as you appear to be some sort of badge snob (or why make a sneering mention of my admiration of Vauxhalls the first place?) you'd be surprised to know I currently own about eight cars (all old banger types) and only one of those is a Vauxhall. Oddly enough the same one that passed the last two MOTs with only bulbs required, gets hammered daily, doesn't get looked after and yet has been the epitome of reliability.
Can't afford a TVR so maybe I should get something else? I quite fancy something that would appeal to chavs, is incredibly unreliable, has a boot floor that rots quicker than ten day old trout left out in the sun, suffers from a deserved reputation of being owned mostly by cocks. Is there a Saxo owner's club do you know or do I just go straight to my nearest scrappy and buy one from there?
Gotta love the internet where opinions are like arseholes: everybody has one :lol:
Well I'll add to the tally of posts you seem to be keeping in your spare time and mention the holy TVR once more. Whoops! There, I said it! See heres the deal: People will talk about something they like. Some talk about BX's, some talk about driving round France, some talk about girls, beer and football. Also, rather than just talk, some pick holes in posts made by forum members when it something a bigger man might just roll his eyes and move on at. And some pick holes at people who polish cars. But in fairness, these people are rare and someone seemingly as bored would probably not hang around tinternet forums such as these. Fact is, people do talk about what they like, and if the amount at which they mention annoys....well, erm.....tough shit!

However I'm still laughing at your comments! None of the jokes you've tried to make, but rather the whole "badge snob" thing. Yup, you guessed it....I'm a badge snob! You're pretty intelligent, you cracked the code! What was the giveaway? The Citroen Xsara I drive around in? :roll: Or the Mondeo I mentioned I'd like the buy!? Or shock horror....the wedge tastic BX itself!? I can definately see where you got the clues from.

So....do I rise to the bait and sit there trying to think of as many seemingly unfunny metaphors as possible and attempt to counter the post that has just stemmed from that sore spot I seem to have hit on?

But then do I take the above as a joke that crossed the line, an insult, or just being plain misguided with regard to the "chav cock's" car that both myself and my girlfriend regularly drive around in?

Or do I take option three....keep my real thoughts in my head and avoid some really sad internet conflict?

Probably best to take number three me thinks.

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Have you bought it Kitch?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

No :lol: Probably won't either. Gonna wait til we move into the new pad before sorting out a car for le sproggs.

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

some boring dude wrote: Well I'll add to the tally of posts you seem to be keeping in your spare time and mention the holy TVR once more. Blah, blah blah
But then do I take the above as a joke that crossed the line, an insult, or just being plain misguided with regard to the "chav cock's" car that both myself and my girlfriend regularly drive around in?

Blah blah blah
Or do I take option three....keep my real thoughts in my head and avoid some really sad internet conflict?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Will to live wanted, apply within :roll:
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

cavmad wrote:
some boring dude wrote: Well I'll add to the tally of posts you seem to be keeping in your spare time and mention the holy TVR once more. Blah, blah blah

Blah blah blah

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Will to live wanted, apply within :roll:
Oh you didn't just cop out by pretending you don't care?! The oldest back down trick in the book?!!?

No, you did!

Put simply, everyone can enjoy a bit of banter on a forum. But start getting plain offensive which is what has come across and things get sour.

Or snooze inducing.

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Ah bless, she replied.
Sorry if it taints your overtly high opinion of yourself but actually I don't especially care. I did respond initially because whilst you might like to try and belittle people I'm not one of those who will ignore it
Is it worth appealing to your spare face (you clearly have two) to say that whilst your sentiments about getting personal are indeed worthy maybe, just maybe, you saying 'Cavsad: Doc feels this way because he had to work on one....a fairly shite one as well. I can forgive him for this.
You thnk Vauxhalls are epic. I have therefore discounted your opinion totally.
could be construed as personal and not a little snobbish, no? Did it come across as banter? I don't think so.
You want a response, you get one but please don't flatter yourself that I'm hanging on to every word you say or that I'm remotely bothered about you, I'm just responding as I see fit. However you want to construe that is entirely up to you, but I hope you don't want a battle of wits because I don't fight unarmed men.
Hats off for not mentioning your TVR in your last post though, must be a new personal best?
I was going to say I'll check back later to see if you have anything interesting to say but seeing as you never have previously it's not really likely is it?
Run along now you're getting boring (as usual) but try and remember if you can't take the heat, don't fan the flames.
I shall sit up all night now hitting refresh in case you reply because you're so important to me and everything revolves around you doesn't it? :roll:
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I'll be honest, I was genuinely going to admit that my Vauxhall comment may have come across unintentionally short and offer apologies for my part, although it was only spurred by the response I got having posted a picture of a car. You've never met me, so it's understandable you wouldn't know how to recieve something I might say in jest. On the net, that's quite rational IMO.

But having re-read your post, I really can't be arsed! In fact I'm fucked off at myself that I let myself react to being poked by that internet stick yet again, whether the poke was by you or by someone else. But thats just the way I am.

So I think it's best for everybody concerned if I say what we're both thinking...we don't get on, never will. End.

Apologies to anyone else who let their guard down and carried on reading into this drivel. For the record, only the bonnet and one or two tit bits remain. Rest of the car is crushed now, we didn't leave much to go to waste:

Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Only a shell and some doors for the bean can factory...

Well done Kitch, that is one of the most recycled BXs I have seen.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Bloody hell!
Where did all that lot come from?

Mondeo's aint my bag, especially after the bloody thing Alex had, that thing REALLY pissed me off.

But the go fast Mondeo's are quite fun, and they have a floorpan designed by Jaguar, so they have something going for them.

I still wouldn't do another clutch in one though.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...