BX Police

Anything about BXs
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Roverman wrote:Was a 5 door, with sunroof and electric windows!
Very nice too! Thinking about it, I think the (petrol) Horizon engine was a Simca design, and not the douvrin lump as in the 104 et al.

I do like the look of the 104, but the Horizon wins every time as it introduced the XUD to the world...

There are rumours that the XU and XUD were designed by Simca, but I have not seen any evidence.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

jonathan_dyane wrote:Thinking about it, I think the (petrol) Horizon engine was a Simca design, and not the douvrin lump as in the 104 et al.
This am correctness. The Simca engine in the Horizon was a bag of nails in comparison to the suitcase series of engines.
jonathan_dyane wrote:There are rumours that the XU and XUD were designed by Simca, but I have not seen any evidence.
AFAIK the design did indeed come from Simca/Rootes/whatever the hell they were called that day. When PSA bought the Rootes group and made the Talbot brand, they inherited not only the Talbot Arizona, but some plans for a new engine. This was then developed into the XU/XUD.

I had two XUD engine'd Horizons. They were utter Autoshite.
this might be a signature
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

DavidRutherford wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote:Thinking about it, I think the (petrol) Horizon engine was a Simca design, and not the douvrin lump as in the 104 et al.
This am correctness. The Simca engine in the Horizon was a bag of nails in comparison to the suitcase series of engines.
But you never, ever forget the noise they make! I can still identify one from three streets away.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote:There are rumours that the XU and XUD were designed by Simca, but I have not seen any evidence.
AFAIK the design did indeed come from Simca/Rootes/whatever the hell they were called that day. When PSA bought the Rootes group and made the Talbot brand, they inherited not only the Talbot Arizona, but some plans for a new engine. This was then developed into the XU/XUD.
Wow, I am competely stunned that they came up with such a fabulous engine!

What are your sources?
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

jonathan_dyane wrote:What are your sources?
Tomato, and sometimes HP fruity.

Hang on... err..

Actually, I can't remember. I know I read that somewhere once, but it was a fair time ago, and I can't even remember if it was on t'internet, or in a book. If I find a sauce, I'll post a link to it.
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote:

Hang on... err..

Actually, I can't remember. I know I read that somewhere once, but it was a fair time ago, and I can't even remember if it was on t'internet, or in a book. If I find a sauce, I'll post a link to it.
I prefer common-or-garden HP...

This is where I first read it...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

DavidRutherford wrote:

Hang on... err..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That gets my answer of the month, love it :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Worcester for me thanks!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

OK I'll go for Chilli! 8)

Ooops that could count as two depending how you read it! :oops: :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I hope you're not starting another 'different brands' thread here.

Chocolate :D
Vauxhall apologist.